TSHTF Question

Hopefully this day will never come, but when TSHTF, here's something to think about.

Friends, neighbors, relatives who know you have large firearms and ammo stash and they don't have any of there own, come begging you to supply them with firearms and ammo. Many don't even know a rifle from a shotgun, but they want some. They offer you cash, jewelry whatever.

What would you do?

As the usual home can't withstand an assault from a pick-up truck full of scumbags with various small arms looking for the essential 3 W's (wine, women and warm towels), having a few armed neighbors can't hurt. At worst, they are decoys, at best, they help resist.

Likely they don't have your emergency food & water stores, so the question is, do you arm them and feed them, or just arm them and wait for them to go crazed with hunger & thirst?

Best to keep your supplies unknown to the neighbors and those other than trusted and close friends and family. Then, it's your decision what to share with whom.

One of the solutions I have heard in the past to this is to have a few inexpensive pistols and rifles to hand out to the "expendables". At best, they take a few with them; at worst, you don't lose any really worthwhile firearms.

It's amazing that so many people think nothing of dropping 200-300 dollars a month on scratch tickets or lottery tickets, knowing their odds of winning are minimal at best and about the same amount in Dunkin Donuts coffee each month yet would balk at the suggestion to get an FID and spend 300 dollars one time for an SKS or a Mosin and a few hundred rounds of ammo to put away for their own future security.

With this in mind, anyone whom I had previously spoke to about getting with their own security program would be SOL.

Being ignorant is excusable.......being previously informed and WILLFULLY IGNORANT is not.

Sorry...NO GUNS FOR YOU!!![wave][wave][smile]

. Many don't even know a rifle from a shotgun, but they want some.

i have 4 12 gauge shotguns id consider "expendable"

toss 1 to some one with a bandoleer of ammo...any idiot can operate a shotgun...loaded with 00 buck if something is within 100 feet of them theyre bound to hit it...if not...gives you time to take cover while the poor bastard is reloading

I know that if that day comes, I'll be the only one in my family with the means to protect us. Therefore, I've acquired enough to supply them all. That's part of my plan.

It's amazing that so many people think nothing of dropping 200-300 dollars a month on scratch tickets or lottery tickets, knowing their odds of winning are minimal at best and about the same amount in Dunkin Donuts coffee each month yet would balk at the suggestion to get an FID and spend 300 dollars one time for an SKS or a Mosin and a few hundred rounds of ammo to put away for their own future security.

That is one of the smartest things I have ever heard. Really.

I know it would not happen but have you ever seen the TV ads from the government about www.ready.gov? They tell people to prepare with a plan and food among other things but I would love to have them say "just in case buy a rifle and a supply of ammo, learn to use it and keep it ready."

There are so many options for cheap money too: SKS, Saiga, Mosin, 12ga shotgun and so on...

Yeah pipe dream I know.[thinking]

Last edited:
Close relatives I'd help. Friends and neighbors? What are the chances that they're really prepared for an emergency if they never thought to arm themselves.
Not so sure I want my own arms to be used against us if they were to get desperate.

I have two brothers in law in Columbus. One is cool with guns (as is his wife) and he's welcome in my house when the SHTF. The other is a flaming anti and I would tell him that if he comes in he does so on my terms.

BTW, neither gets in without supplies of their own for the stash.

As for neighbors and friends, tough shit. They are not kin and blood trumps all.

My neighbors suck so when TSHTF they are on their own. With any luck the a**h*** kid next door will go down first [wink].

My friends (however few I have) all own guns and will probably be too busy protecting their families to try to make it out to my neck of the woods.

As for the family, I have enough guns for my wife and I to protect ourselves. I may be able to spare one but that's about it. So it's going to be first-come-first-serve. Anyone else is SOL.

Considering that most of my neighbors are already armed, it's somewhat of a moot point.

Like bloodhound, I have a number of shotguns and revolvers I'd consider "expendable". Close friends in a pinch I could spare a 12 gauge and a .38 S&W.

Closer friends would already be in their cars heading to our secure location somewhere in Free America. [wink]

Immediate neighbors ? They'll be lucky if I don't burn their houses in order to clear fields of fire. A body builder , a Liberal Psychotherapist , TWO university professors , a retired Union steelworker who actually shouts at me because of the GWBush on my car from the '000 election. ... They're on their own.

But the weightlifters girlfriend is hot , she can come in.

A half mile down the road in 2 different directions I have heavily armed serious shooter friends who've made plans with me to take over ....wait , I mean, protect ourselves.

I don't think I've ever really thought out this sort of situation, but if it did happen I'd probably go turtle until the danger was over. I have enough water and edibles to last a while, albeit eating dried ramen noodles isn't the healthiest thing in the world (or tasty).

I assume people are largely thinking of a Katrina type situation where local services are overwhelmed and anarchy rules.

As for weapons, no one in my area would get near them. I have maybe two friends in the area that I would trust with my firearms.

Sorry but this just seams like the perfect opportunity let Darwinism do its thing. Those that prepare are welcome with me anytime. Those that don’t can do the rest of us a favor by excusing themselves from the genepool.

If a Katrina type situation ever hit, I would probably try to “bug in” for as long as I could and then if all else fails, I know some places nearby where I could scoot to pretty easily. I’d invite a few like minded friends to join me and everybody else can fend for themselves.

That is one of the smartest things I have ever heard. Really.

I know it would not happen but have you ever seen the TV ads from the government about www.ready.gov? They tell people to prepare with a plan and food among other things but I would love to have them say "just in case buy a rifle and a supply of ammo, learn to use it and keep it ready." ...

See my and some others' replies in Citizens Police Academy

See my and some others' replies in Citizens Police Academy

I did a Citizens Police Academy in Sturbridge and was given all the info for CERT and another program I can't remember and yeah both had nothing to do with firearms and I decided not to attend. There is no defense without a firearm as far as I am concerned. Yes I would like to help people but if the SHTF I am not going to be responsible for people who can't be responsible for themselves.

By the way for those who have not gone to one of the Citizen Police Academies they are a good way to met the local LEOs and a fun time.

So the SHTF for a month. You pass out guns to friends/family/desirables/those worthy. What happens to your generosity when law and order is restored and you have to account for the guns? Maybe they catch the neighbor with it and no LTC - he immediately points to you; maybe they pull a NewOrleans and come knocking for them. Wouldn't surprise me in this state.

What then? The chances of a SHTF event lasting more than weeks or a couple of months is close to zero here in NES territory.

Desirables will be allowed into my home, but the guns stay under my control (even if I teach them to use them and they help defend it).

Damn... P-14, you almost derailed my whole reply with your comment.

I was about to mention that since I don't know most of my neighbors, I doubt that they'd come knocking. Since most of my friends are also my Brothers, I've sworn to "help, aid and assist" them so I would keep my promise. Of course, since one Brother is a very good woodworker and his wife has a seriously green thumb, that would be a good idea for long-term survival... and since another Brother is a retired Sgt Major, there's another case where generosity has it's own payback...

Sorry, folks. I might live by being selfish, but could I live with myself after turning away my friends (and/or family)? NO.

I'd keep the M1 and the 1911 for myself (and the carbine and a .357 for the wife), and if my friends or family can get here I will share what I have. I can do nothing else. If the law comes looking for me for helping out my friends and family in an emergency... well... that's why I have Darius's phone number handy.

There are certain people I would trust guns to, but outside of
friends on the board here (who all have their own stash
anyways) I can count the rest of the people I'd trust on like
one hand. Most of the rest of my close friends all have guns
or know how to use them. The only people I would protect
gratis are my parents/close friends. As far as neighbors,
etc, they'd either have to bring something to the table (supplies,
gas, labor, etc) or they'd be told to get lost.

A lot of it depends on the circumstances.... if it's a small scale
SHTF, where it'll be over not long after it starts, I'd probably be
reluctant to proffer a gun to anyone. If the whole neighborhood
is under constant siege by bands of looters, I might change my
tune- at that point "the law" matters very little because it would
be readily apparent that there effectively is no law, or even a
pretense of enforcement.

-Mike

Oh yeah... one other point I forgot to make last night.

If you turn away your friends and family at the door, don't worry - you won't be talking to them AFTER the emergency is over, because they WILL remember that you did so... and will probably never speak to you again. Something else to think about - long term consequences to your policy.

Well I have no relatives nearby (all are 20-30 miles away at least), two vacant houses for neighbors and don't know most neighbors more than to say "hi" to (one is a convicted drug dealer,another a most ornery retired IRS Agent - both unwelcome on my property at any time for any reason).

One neighbor is a Med Tech (blood sucker for major Boston hospital) that I've known casually for as long as I've lived here and a rather recent house-mate that I've only waved/said hi to (don't even know his name). Unsure about them.

Another neighbor is a Russian immigrant couple. He had some experience with an AK-47 when he lived in Russia and wants to shoot mine (someday when I actually clean all the cosmo out of it), so I probably would invite them to join me. But that's it!

Guns to neighbors? NO!

Everyone in my immediate family either has their LTC, or has a great deal of firearms experience. If it was a small scale SHTF, I will bring my mother and father guns and ammo, and same with my sis and bro-in-law. If it's bad enough to NEED to get the hell outta Dodge, we are all going to the same place anyhow, and all my supplies are coming with me.

Guns to neighbors? NO!

Everyone in my immediate family either has their LTC, or has a great deal of firearms experience. If it was a small scale SHTF, I will bring my mother and father guns and ammo, and same with my sis and bro-in-law. If it's bad enough to NEED to get the hell outta Dodge, we are all going to the same place anyhow, and all my supplies are coming with me.

+100 To that. I live in a townhouse with 59 other townhouses in our "village". I only know of 3 who own guns, one S&W employee, two LEO and three said he "has his LTC".

Gathering my family would be priority and then heading up north. Anyone else who is prepared would be welcome but sorry no welfare cases.

Back
Top Bottom