Tulammo out of an older S&W Model 60

Hey everybody, I've been looking to pick up some bulk range ammo for an older Model 60 (no dash) chambered in .38 special.

My understanding is that this J frame is designed to ONLY shoot regular .38, and that prolonged use of +P stuff will potentially damage the weapon.

Does anyone know if Tulammo is safe to shoot in these older guns? I'm looking at 130 grain FMJ rounds that supposedly travel at 890 FPS. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding is anything made by S&W made after 1958 will handle +P. The Model 60 was the first commercial offering in stainless by S&W. It came out circa 1965. By older I don't know what you mean.

Personally I don't think that shooting you revolver with the load you are proposing is going to damage the gun unless you plan on shooting thousands of rounds. The Model 60 is all steel. I'd check for excessive wear, but that's it.

Make sure, however that your revolver is in absolutely tip top condition and if in doubt have it checked by a competent gunsmith, always a good idea with any used firearm you buy.

My understanding is anything made by S&W made after 1958 will handle +P. The Model 60 was the first commercial offering in stainless by S&W. It came out circa 1965. By older I don't know what you mean.

Personally I don't think that shooting you revolver with the load you are proposing is going to damage the gun unless you plan on shooting thousands of rounds. The Model 60 is all steel. I'd check for excessive wear, but that's it.

Make sure, however that your revolver is in absolutely tip top condition and if in doubt have it checked by a competent gunsmith, always a good idea with any used firearm you buy.

Thanks for your input. I guess when I say "older" I mean that it is a pre-lock S&W. I don't really know that much about the history of S&W revolvers, admittedly. The gun appears to be in great working condition to my layman's eyes. I just don't want to risk blowing it up after running hundreds of practice rounds through it.

I've made it a personal goal to get as comfortable with its double action trigger as I am with the striker fired Glock trigger.

Tula isn't known to be the strongest stuff around for most other calibers. Can't comment on 38 because I'm not a revolver guy.

But when in doubt check it out. http://www.ballistics101.com/
Cool little site that'll tell you what your loads are doing.

i forget the manufacture date on the model 19 i used to own but i made the mistake of shooting some stuff from a friend that was labeled EXTREMELY HOT and i knocked that ****er all out of whack. gave it to a local guy, older dude who probably knew more about revolvers than i'll ever forget... returned it to me the next time i saw him about a month later and it was smooth as butter. i do regret letting that gun go, it was a good shooter.

i forget the manufacture date on the model 19 i used to own but i made the mistake of shooting some stuff from a friend that was labeled EXTREMELY HOT and i knocked that ****er all out of whack. gave it to a local guy, older dude who probably knew more about revolvers than i'll ever forget... returned it to me the next time i saw him about a month later and it was smooth as butter. i do regret letting that gun go, it was a good shooter.

Model 19s are interesting. When they came out in about 1954-55 during Carl Hellstrom's tenure as CEO of S&W the idea was to put a .357 into a K frame package. Bill Jordan a noted shooter and lawman at the time was a leading advocate. Calling the M19 or Combat Magnum "the answer to a peace officers dream" S&W experimented with a lot of heat treatments to get the right treatment. The Combat Magnum took off and was a solid seller for years.

By the early 80's police training had changed. Prior to that qualifications and training were done with .38s and .357s were carried on duty. Train as you fight took over and more rounds of .357 were going thru the guns, this plus the new 125 gr .357 magnum loads came into play, still one of the best anti personnel rounds developed. Forcing cone erosion became a problem. This is when S&W developed the L frame which dimensionally is similar to the Colt I frame (think Python). The L is a beefed up K around critical areas. (586,686).

Any M19 should take a steady diet of +P .38 without any problems and a fair share of .357. You just need to check for forcing cone erosion. This can be corrected but the repair is not cheap.

Any revolver will go out time if fed a steady diet of extremely hot loads, Colts especially are prone to this except for the Trooper Mk III, Mk V actions, Lawman etc.

I had a lot of trouble with Tula 357 out of my Colt Trooper. had a bitch of a time ejecting the spent casings. never had issues with any other ammo.

Anyone know when S&W started making all "J" frames as "JM" frames ?

Well the model 60 went magnum in 1996. Other models followed but I'm not sure if you'll be able to find a exact listing by model. I think, but don't know for sure, that anything with a lock (post 02) is a JM.

Back
Top Bottom