Unable to get fingerprinted

My experiences aren't a good indicator of how others may be treated. I do NOT demand special treatment, but the mere fact that I worked for this department for 17 years part-time . . . they may do things (unasked) for me that they may not do for others.

Although we are always short-handed, an officer is oftentimes called in to do paperwork, interview someone, etc. 1/2 hour before end of shift may also work or 1/2 hour after shift-changeover. There are likely to be officers in the station at those times.

There are private agencies that provide fingerprinting services (check the Yellow Pages). Downside is that it'll probably cost about $15.00 - $20.00 and the state agency processing the prints may or may not accept prints taken but anyone other than a law enforcement officer.

Edit to add...

Probably beyond your control, but it helps a great deal if the person taking the prints does it correctly the first time.

I've heard/read about situations where fingerprint cards were returned with no further action taken because the prints weren't
taken properly or were 'unreadable'.

It's also nice if the card is returned to you for your own record keeping and/or future use (that might vary from one agency to another).

I know from experience that the FBI will return the card. I have one set of prints here that's been mailed in, processed and returned at least 6 times (NICs problem since cleared up).

Last edited:
There are private agencies that provide fingerprinting services (check the Yellow Pages). Downside is that it'll probably cost about $15.00 - $20.00 and the state agency processing the prints may or may not accept prints taken but anyone other than a law enforcement officer.

BIG downside! I wouldn't take the chance.

Leave the "private agencies" for the illegals getting their falsified documents.

Legit folks getting prints for legal purposes need to deal with LE to do it so that there is no question on "authenticity". [It's more a "trust" factor than reality, but it is what it is.]

CT sends two sets of cards. They aren't the same and both need to be done. I have the package at home, but haven't done anything with it. I'm not 100% sure if they allow the applicant to return the cards or if they have to be sent directly from the agency that did them, but I think they require the agency's name and officer's signature on the cards to be sure that they are real.

Gary

I don't know how much it proves "authenticity"... in MA when I applied for my LTC A the first and only time I was asked for ID was when I picked it up... The dispatcher checked to make sure the name matched what was written on the outside of the envelope.

Although I guess you're fingerprints are pretty good identification.

If your in sturbridge and haven't gotten the prints yet, I would just call troop C in Tolland,Ct they have a computer do prints as I remember on Tuesdays, but call for sure. They Troop C is only 20+ minutes down the road.

Thanks! That's a good suggestion. I will give them a call.

Fingerprints

CT sends two sets of cards. They aren't the same and both need to be done. I have the package at home, but haven't done anything with it. I'm not 100% sure if they allow the applicant to return the cards or if they have to be sent directly from the agency that did them, but I think they require the agency's name and officer's signature on the cards to be sure that they are real.

Gary
I had our Security Dept. do mine. They couldn`t use the cards CT. supplied because they don`t use ink anymore. They have a Microsoft program and a reader you roll your finger on.
I called to tell them this and was told it shouldn`t be a problem. I mailed my paperwork 2 weeks ago and haven`t heard back that there was a problem. I`ll keep everyone updated.

Got my fingerprints done! Finally!

Finally, I got my fingerprints done this morning. The same LEO that rolled my prints for the LTC did them today. He apologized for the delay and said that most of the LEOs in my town either do not know the proper technique for rolling prints or do not like to "touch" other people and refuse to do the prints. [thinking] Well, whatever the case may be, I am done and can finally send my CT app.

One less thing to worry about [grin]

I thought you were just unable to get prints off your fingers. I know someone like that. They had to get some special "PIN number" from the police because they can't get a good fingerprint. So now he has the PIN number hand written on the card in addition to all the other info.

Back
Top Bottom