Underground Survival Shelters

MaxStravinsky

NES Member
http://www.atlassurvivalshelters.com/ - just learned about them. Saw some cool photos on the Tiny House forum.

Atlas Survival Shelters specializes in creating galvanized corrugated pipe survival shelters for its customers.

These are designed to be built underground with 1-2 bunker entrances/exits for emergencies.

They come in diameters of 8′, 9′, 10′, 11′, and 12′ and in lengths of up to 50′.

In addition, they also offer Monolithic concrete domes and shipping container shelters.

hillside5.JPG

if you HAVE to spend time underground.......[devil]

what are people sheltering from that that is going to be of any use?

If you live in the midwest that might make a pretty cool storm shelter but it's a pretty monumental waste of money otherwise, IMO

I think the idea of building a bunker to protect ONLY against things like nuclear war is pretty far out there.

OTOH, a multipurpose underground storage room can have many uses:

1) Root cellar. Gives you a cool place in the summer and in the winter a non-freezing place to store fruits and veggies. If you have chickens you can store a winters worth of squash and pumpkins to feed them...much cheaper growing chicken food than buying it.

2) Food pantry. The constant 55 degree temp will keep stored foods fresh for a really long time.

3) Storm shelter. Even here in the northeast we get tornados. Underground is a much better place to be than the basement of your house.

4) Get the hell out of the nasty humid weather escape. Put lights, tv, internet and a nice chair in there and you have a cool place to hang out in the summer.

5) Fallout shelter. Rearrange the squash and baskets of apples and use the storage shelves as a place to sleep. A few other strategic supplies and you can use it as a place to ride out the apocalypse.

what are people sheltering from that that is going to be of any use?

If you live in the midwest that might make a pretty cool storm shelter but it's a pretty monumental waste of money otherwise, IMO

You could say the same thing about firearms and insurance. Waste of money until you need it.

As Gomerpile pointed out, there are a lot of peace time uses for it. I'd love a wine cellar and a big gun vault. I don't plan on living in Mass for long enough to make it worth it, but I'd consider one for my next free state home.

House near my sisters place has several "outbuildings" (really small houses - not just sheds).
They are all connected underground with these.
Recently was for sale, and I got to take a long tour - Very cool place!
Sold for cheap too. Wish I had the $$, would have snapped it up in a second.

House near my sisters place has several "outbuildings" (really small houses - not just sheds).
They are all connected underground with these.
Recently was for sale, and I got to take a long tour - Very cool place!
Sold for cheap too. Wish I had the $$, would have snapped it up in a second.

Just out of curiosity, do you have a link to a real estate listing for this place?

If they drop an atomic bomb or gas us, who will be running the TV stations?

It's an awful big country to nuke or gas. I'd think an underground shelter would serve very well in the case or a single bomb say delivered by a terrorist. Just activate the emergency beacon and wait until help arrives...

Anyone come across a regional provider for these? Our next house won't likely have a basement and I'd want one of these for food storage.

My biggest issue/concern with this is the humidity. If I had something like this where I live, and this is probably true of most places in MA, ground water and humidity would destroy everything in it unless you had a dehumidifier and sump - and power to run them - pretty much year round.

And unless you can hide the entrance and ventilation ports, you're screwed when looters come for you.

Park a car on the hatch and you got a fancy coffin.

better have more than 1 hatch/escape tunnel. Concealed means concealed

2 is 1.....

The immediate question that comes to mind is if you did that big of a hole, you aren't doing it with a home sized tractor. You're also going to have to get a rigger/crane, etc for the site work and setting one of those monstrosities.

Doesn't putting one of those in just about blow any hope of OPSEC you might have and paint a 40x20 target on you?

The domes do make for a pretty cool looking house.

Also, as part of my "if I were rich" fantasy, I would get that 4 family setup and have bunker parties all the time.

Last edited:
better have more than 1 hatch/escape tunnel. Concealed means concealed

2 is 1.....

The immediate question that comes to mind is if you did that big of a hole, you aren't doing it with a home sized tractor. You're also going to have to get a rigger/crane, etc for the site work and setting one of those monstrosities.

Doesn't putting one of those in just about blow any hope of OPSEC you might have and paint a 40x20 target on you?
Put a shed over it. Build a hatch in the floor.

Back
Top Bottom