UNH MUB Lecture Series: Antigun documentary

Stumbled upon news of the event in one of the bathroom stalls today. (figures[rofl])

https://blackboard.unh.edu/webapps/unh-calendar-bb_bb60/index.jsp?showHeader=yes#

Title: MUB Lecture Series: There Ought to Be a Law... Documentary and Panel Discussion
Date: Wednesday, December 3, 2008
Time: 7:00 PM
Event Details: Cathy Crowley’s 18 year old son bought a shotgun and that weekend, the Maine youth killed himself. See the documentary about a mother who fought the National Rifle Association to try and change the law. There will be a panel discussion including Cathy Crowley, Shoshana Hoose (the filmmaker), and Carrie Whittenberg (from the New England Coalition to Prevent Gun Violence).

Sponsored by the MUB

Free and Open to All
A SIC 'em Sponsored Event
www.unhmub.com

Yeah, I'm debating whether or not to head to it and give a piece of my mind. It's also at the time as one of my club meetings....

There should be a law not only about guns but about the golden gate bridge as well. Shit, all high places, sleeping pills, knives, rope, train tracks, toaster ovens that can be dropped into bathtubs, etc.

Not to sound morbid or anything but there are a hell of a lot of ways to do the deed. This was a grown adult who made that decision. I'm sorry to say it but what she is doing is nasty, dirty, and wrong of her to do. She is taking out her hardship on the rest of us and that is unacceptable. She ought to be told so by someone with half a brain, not glorified for her childish foolishness and lack of finding a healthy way to cope with the tragedy that she apparently wants to force the rest of us to have responsibility for.

Last edited:
No mother should have to bury a child. Ever. Alas, it happens.

But I'd ask that hoplophobe about banning cars. You know, vehicular deaths are the leading killer of teenagers in America. Upwards of 40,000 people are killed every year in cars. What an inconvenient truth.

And if her son couldn't get a gun, I'm sure he'd throw himself off a cliff.

What ever happened to live and let die?

There Ought to be a law requiring a license to be a parent. I am not saying that she was a bad mother but maybe if her son had someone to talk to about his problems then he would not have killed himself. If he were to have drove his car into a wall at 80 mph would she be fighting to get the legal driving age to be 22 as well. If he had hung himself would there be a waiting peiod to buy a belt or rope???

stop blaming inanimate objects and place the blame on the person using the object.

There Ought to be a law requiring a license to be a parent. I am not saying that she was a bad mother but maybe if her son had someone to talk to about his problems then he would not have killed himself. If he were to have drove his car into a wall at 80 mph would she be fighting to get the legal driving age to be 22 as well. If he had hung himself would there be a waiting peiod to buy a belt or rope???

stop blaming inanimate objects and place the blame on the person using the object.

But guns are evil, scary, cold and black. And I don't like them. And neither should you.

I really have no idea how these people walk through life. I guess ignorance IS bliss, right?

It's so incredibly f***ing hard to deal with the suicide of a family member that I can see it being easy for anyone to latch on to anything to blame. But he didn't kill himself because of the gun. He killed himself for his own reasons - across the population it's almost exclusively an inability to deal with chronic depression.

And whether she likes it or not, family members bear some responsibility to help their loved ones thru though times, including depression, IMNSHO. Unfortunately, some families actually reinforce (or even cause) the problems, instead of helping. I know, I'm living thru the aftermath. I was in her place once - blame this, blame that. But the fact is, my little brother's older brother had a responsibility to deal with things. And I failed. Big time.

It would be cruel, but likely useful, to ask her about what was going on in her son's life that led to her son being depressed enough to want to take his life...
...and maybe to ask what she thinks of her and her family's involvement in that - responsibility for that.

And to point out how that has not one goddamn thing to do with a gun. No-one says, "Well, I won't kill myself because I can't get a gun." It's very very likely that no matter how impossible it was to get a gun, this young man would have simply found another way. Blaming the gun, and taking away people's RTKBA, is not going to prevent suicides. He didn't kill himself because of the gun.

Her dysfunctional logic (blaming the gun) is likely a result of her dysfunctional family. It's likely that they don't have the mental skills to cope with their situations, before and after he killed himself. Blaming the gun ain't going to fix that.

I'm sure that she won't hear it, but other people need to hear it.

But I'd ask that hoplophobe about banning cars. You know, vehicular deaths are the leading killer of teenagers in America. Upwards of 40,000 people are killed every year in cars. What an inconvenient truth.

And if her son couldn't get a gun, I'm sure he'd throw himself off a cliff.

What ever happened to live and let die?

You be quiet with your facts that make sense, we're talking about GUNS! They are dangerous tools designed for one purpose to kill! Cars are an important part of our society today.

Geeez some people thinking that their Constitutionally Granted rights somehow outweigh a privileged!

Last edited:
Cold guns are unloved guns. [hmmm]

Ha! That or their owners realize they're too poor to feed their guns after looking at their 401(k) statements! [sad] [wink]

It's so incredibly f***ing hard to deal with the suicide of a family member that I can see it being easy for anyone to latch on to anything to blame. But he didn't kill himself because of the gun. He killed himself for his own reasons - across the population it's almost exclusively an inability to deal with chronic depression.

Her dysfunctional logic (blaming the gun) is likely a result of her dysfunctional family. It's likely that they don't have the mental skills to cope with their situations, before and after he killed himself. Blaming the gun ain't going to fix that.

I'm sure that she won't hear it, but other people need to hear it.

True. I hope I never have to deal with it. Try dealing with a wife with the postpartum variety. It really sucks. But scapegoating the gun is just nonsensical.

Remember, a poor carpenter blames his tools. OK, maybe not a totally appropriate euphemism, but you get the gist.

You be quiet with your facts that make sense, we're talking about GUNS! They are dangerous tools designed for one purpose to kill! Cars are an important part of our society today.

Geeez some people thinking that their Constitutionally Granted rights somehow outweigh a privileged!

And that should obviously extend to end of life scenarios. As a libertarian who believes every individual has property their bodies, they have the right to do with them as they see fit. This includes suicide (although I think it's a petty way out unless you're suffering from some serious physical or mental condition). But hell. It was this kid's body. He should be able to do whatever he wants to it.

What, since Terri Schiavo? I thought it was immoral to let anybody ever die for any reason.

Just like we don't let enterprises fail anymore! No more failures! No more death! It's like a bailout for life! [grin]

Back
Top Bottom