Update on Blended Learning

robmcd

Instructor
FYI. Excerpt from an email that I received from NRA Training this morning.

"The transition to the new blended NRA Basic Pistol course is right around the corner.

Going forward, you must share with your training teams and future instructor candidates the importance of the Performance Requirements Checklist (PRC). Instructors will print two copies: one for the student and one for the instructor's records. Then, instructors and students will each sign off on all exercises in the checklist as students demonstrate the knowledge, skills and attitude for each skill. When complete, sign and date each copy and provide one to the student. The checklist is also in the course menu for basic students to print and review, so they will know what is expected when they go to phase II for all the practicals and shooting qualifications.
In our continuing effort to improve our courses, NRA will continue surveying all students in regard to their experience with both phase I and phase II of the Basics of Pistol Shooting course.

NRA will have an instructor-only site available for NRA Pistol Instructors who would like to view phase I of the course. The restrictions applied to a basic student will be deactivated, so instructors can move about the course freely.

The Basics of Pistol Shooting Phase II lesson plan is available on NRAInstructors.org. This is the content that instructors will be teaching. NRA is administering phase I.

The final cost of the e-learning portion of the course has not yet been finalized, but the cost will be kept to a minimum. NRA does not dictate a fee structure for instructors. Instructors will do as they currently do: review the lesson plan, determine the amount of time and what sort of space/range time and supplies they will need, and create their budgets accordingly."

I got this email just now:

NRA said:
Dear NRA Pistol Instructor:

Excitement is in the air as we approach the release of the new NRA
Basics of Pistol Shooting course, on or about February 17!

Once the new NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting course has been released,
your ability to advertise the current NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting
course on NRAInstructors.org <http://www.nramedia.org/t/5521330/29226177/8739/1/> will not
be available. However, there will be a transitional period through
mid-May where it is permissible to teach the NRA Basics of Pistol
Shooting course in both the traditional format and the new blended
approach. Once this period ends, the only way to conduct the course
will be via the blended format. Please take this into consideration
when placing orders for new materials.

Basic Pistol course Student Packets will continue to be available on a
limited basis until later this month and the NRA will be accepting
returns and refunding instructors for unused NRA Basic Pistol Student
Packets after the transitional period ends, less shipping and
handling.

By now, we hope that you have reviewed both the Basics of Pistol
Shooting Phase II Lesson Plans as well as the Phase I portion of the
course on the Instructors-only webpage, which will help you prepare to
teach in the new format. Students can find your courses as they always
have, but they will be required to enter a Personal Identification
Number (PIN) when they register for the course, prompting them to
complete the e-learning portion (Phase I) first.

After a student has completed Phase I and prints the certificate, the
PIN will be activated, allowing the student to register for the
Instructor-led-training (Phase II) portion of the course. When the
student uses the PIN to register for Phase II, the student's contact
information and test score from Phase I will automatically populate on
the Instructor's course report. Once a student has completed Phase II,
the Instructor must submit the course report for the students who have
passed to print the students' certificate from NRAInstructors.org
<http://www.nramedia.org/t/5521330/29226177/8739/2/>.

We realize that many Instructors do not advertise or conduct courses
regularly. Even if you conduct courses infrequently, your students
must complete Phase I online so you can create a course report after
you have completed Phase II with the students. Certificates will be
populated with both the students' and the Instructor's information.
All you will need to do is initial the level that the student has
qualified at and sign the certificate. You will also provide each
student with a copy of the Performance Requirements Checklist.

Students who register for the new NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting course
will not receive a packet from the NRA Certified Instructor. Instead,
students will have immediate access to the NRA Guide: Basics of Pistol
Shooting in a digital format, and a hardback book will be mailed
directly to them at no additional cost. The NRA has considered a lot
of factors in determining the student cost to take the NRA Basics of
Pistol Shooting course, which will not exceed $60.

We look forward to these exciting times and rolling out the new NRA
Basics of Pistol Shooting course. Thank you for all you do and for
your continued support of NRA Training Programs.

I imagine that
nra said:
Once this period ends, the only way to conduct the course
will be via the blended format.
means they won't sell any packets any more, I can't imagine how they could actually prevent anyone from teaching the old way with existing packets.

I expect they're "offering to buy back packets" so they can get us into the new way faster, and implying some sort of "deadline" or threat, if we continue to use the old packets.

This may be a stupid question, but can someone tell me where to find part 1 of the course once I log into narinstructors.org?

This may be a stupid question, but can someone tell me where to find part 1 of the course once I log into narinstructors.org?

Check for an email dated 1/29/16 from NRA training, there was a link, username and password, for instructors to go in and see part 1, just as you would as a student. I did not look through the whole course but what I did look at, I think they did a good job.

Check for an email dated 1/29/16 from NRA training, there was a link, username and password, for instructors to go in and see part 1, just as you would as a student. I did not look through the whole course but what I did look at, I think they did a good job.

Thanks!

Does this mean I now have to advertise my course on the NRA page in order for my students to be able to link taking the online part of the course with my instructor id or something? Or do they get a print out saying they completed and they bring it to me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Does this mean I now have to advertise my course on the NRA page in order for my students to be able to link taking the online part of the course with my instructor id or something? Or do they get a print out saying they completed and they bring it to me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read the various Emails sent by NRA Training and on the logged in Instructor website. I've heard enough confusing answers to your question that I really don't know how they are going to do it. When it officially rolls out, we might get a better handle on it.

A guy I teach with pointed out a supreme irony of all this:

The NRA, who is supposedly against gun registrations, seems to have no problem registering gun owners (everyone who takes a gun class)

There are 26 classes on the EOPS list that meet the MA licensing requirement. I believe that Chief Ron Glidden (ret). It would be a simple matter to create an "Open Source" class (perhaps the "NES licensing course"), post the class outline on the web, and allow anyone with a MA certification to teach it.

The NRA does not have a monopoly of "certified state accepted" classes in MA.

I've made it thru the first 2 lessons (of 11) in the online Phase I program. It is very well done, but tedious and with so much info that I'm unsure that a total newbie wouldn't have their head explode. I can only do it one lesson at a time. They allege that it will take almost 8 hours for the online portion.

So far I just have a few process issues, but no issue with content.

More later.

I've made it thru the first 2 lessons (of 11) in the online Phase I program. It is very well done, but tedious and with so much info that I'm unsure that a total newbie wouldn't have their head explode. I can only do it one lesson at a time. They allege that it will take almost 8 hours for the online portion.

So far I just have a few process issues, but no issue with content.

More later.

I've made it through all the Phase I program now, and I agree with Len's initial reaction. It is l-o-o-n-g, and in some parts tedious, but the content is surprisingly well-done. I say "surprisingly," because the Basic Pistol PowerPoint presentation is just awful. It's like 100 different instructors built one slide each, using any format they chose.

The online learning is actually well done. Consistent format. A preview of how long each lesson should take, good visuals for the most part. There are one or two small errors I noticed (duplicates, etc.), but overall, it's fairly well done.

Having said that, I still don't think it should be a stand-alone block of instruction. I am not a fan of the blended learning format, and I haven't met a student who was, either.

A guy I teach with pointed out a supreme irony of all this:

The NRA, who is supposedly against gun registrations, seems to have no problem registering gun owners (everyone who takes a gun class)

Also ironic that they are going to do this for a "minimal cost" and yet it seems like it will be around $60 for the web-based portion. Amortized over time, it can't possibly cost them even close to that much.

I don't think a novice will know the difference or be able to point out the slide catch, manual safety or decocker if presented a P Series Sig after watching this. Up close and personal works much better.

There are 26 classes on the EOPS list that meet the MA licensing requirement. I believe that Chief Ron Glidden (ret). It would be a simple matter to create an "Open Source" class (perhaps the "NES licensing course"), post the class outline on the web, and allow anyone with a MA certification to teach it.

I am thinking on the same lines as stated above

I'd sign up. Eff the NRA.

Also ironic that they are going to do this for a "minimal cost" and yet it seems like it will be around $60 for the web-based portion. Amortized over time, it can't possibly cost them even close to that much.
Not too long ago, instructor certification was a nominal amount - like $5/year, and they had to send you a notice by mail, and sent you a card and certificate.

Now, it's all on-line (they are getting away from sending out paper renewal notices) and instead if sending you a nice certificate and card, you get to print it off the web - and the price for certification has more than doubled to $30 for two years.

Prior to "blended learning", the NRA's cut of the action for a student was a few dollars profit on the student packet/book. Now it's around $60 for zero incremental cost.

The USCCA is doing a good job on introducing an alternative program of instruction, but certification co$t$ - it's being run as a profit center, not a service like "gun club courses" (and, even then, NRA instructor training is virtually always for-profit).

The NRA's greed may actually give rise to more competitive classes, especially in those states like MA where the market is looking for "Accepted for CCW license requirement" certification rather than "NRA approved".

I am seriously considering drafting the "MA Open Source Carry Course" and getting it approved by the MSP for licensing; publishing it on-line and specifically allowing anyone with a MA instructor's certificate to teach it free of royalty. I think many clubs would prefer to be able to do a "one shot" class (show up and learn it all in a day) to telling students to spend time on the web, pay the NRA $60, then pay yet another fee for the class.

Last edited:
I have not completed Phase I. Glanced at a few lessons and liked what I saw. I have, however taught a new NRA Basic Pistol Instructor Course this past weekend and really like the practical exercises. There is a lot more gun handling and demonstration required now than in the previous Training Counselor lesson plans.

Other than the "yet to be determined" fee structure, I won't throw out the baby with the bathwater yet. A good trainer will make sure the basic student gets the knowledge and skills via positive repletion before completing Phase II

Still much better than many of the other approved BFS courses.

"Basic Pistol course Student Packets will continue to be available on a
limited basis until later this month and the NRA will be accepting
returns and refunding instructors for unused NRA Basic Pistol Student
Packets after the transitional period ends, less shipping and
handling"

That's Bulls__t. These packets have been unavailable from the NRA for months and I was told THIS WEEK by the NRA that they remain unavailable and have no estimate for being back in stock.

I have not completed Phase I. Glanced at a few lessons and liked what I saw. I have, however taught a new NRA Basic Pistol Instructor Course this past weekend and really like the practical exercises. There is a lot more gun handling and demonstration required now than in the previous Training Counselor lesson plans.

Other than the "yet to be determined" fee structure, I won't throw out the baby with the bathwater yet. A good trainer will make sure the basic student gets the knowledge and skills via positive repletion before completing Phase II

With the new blended learning who gives the student the State Police certificate?

I'm going thru the Phase I course, just like a student would. It is long and tedious but very well done. I can only take 1 lesson at a setting (~1 hour). IIRC they said all 11 lessons take ~8 hours and that is before they meet up with the instructor who is supposed to spend another 3+ hours with them (I forget if that included the shooting drills or not). I question the ability of a newbie with no experience trying to absorb so much info. One of the NRA Emails to instructors mentioned that NRA wouldn't charge the student more than $60 for the online portion.

So far I've done 2 lessons of the 11, more comments to follow.

The MSP BFS Instructor. We are the only ones that can by statute/regulation.
At first I was a bit concerned that the certificate would be given out by the instructor who had not taught the entire class to a student and if that posed any problems. It appears that based on the Phase II lesson plan an instructor is more than just confirming that the student demonstrates the knowledge.

Where did the $60 amount come from? Did the NRA publish it somewhere? They've done such a stellar job communicating this program to the instructor base.

Also did anything ever come of that NES Licensing course idea?

thanks

Where did the $60 amount come from? Did the NRA publish it somewhere? They've done such a stellar job communicating this program to the instructor base.

Also did anything ever come of that NES Licensing course idea?

thanks

Yes, the $60 figure is in one of the NRA Emails.

As for an NES course, it takes months to develop a course that might get MSP approval and then it takes months for MSP Licensing to get off it's ass and approve it. It doesn't all happen overnight.

Hmmm.

The last email I got re: "Blended Learning" was on 1/29/16 with a subject of "NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting - Blended Course Update". The last paragraph stated:

"The final cost of the e-learning portion of the course has not been finalized, but we anticipate releasing that information in the next 90 days. We are very excited about the New Year, and we thank you for your continued support.

NRA Training Department"

The only other one was on 12/18/15.

So bawd on the 90 days I guess it may take until end of April?

I've had instances where I didn't receive emails from them and I'm wondering if I'm again persona non grata with NRA?

As for an NES course, it takes months to develop a course that might get MSP approval and then it takes months for MSP Licensing to get off it's ass and approve it. It doesn't all happen overnight.

So, it would be nice if someone who is qualified to get this ball rolling start the clock. I'd be glad to help but have limited skills.

FOLKS:

I've had a number of requests for the username/password/website to login to Phase I and other NRA Training Emails.

Sorry but I won't forward NRA Training Emails. You'll have to contact NRA Training directly and request that they re-send it, square away whatever the problem is. I don't have time or desire to try to vet who is and who isn't an NRA Instructor for BP and entitled to the Emails.

I hope you understand.

Back
Top Bottom