• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

UPDATE: SA EMP 9mm- Range Report

from the perspective of a carry 1911 it's interesting. from perspective of a carry 9mm w a 9rd mag, it's heavy and large.

i've handled it but not shot it. to me it's designed for a dedicated 1911 fan who wants something in 9mm and optimized for carry. personally i find the EMP sort of overpriced. IMO a 1911 pushing $1k should have frontstrap checkering.

I am partial to all metal guns. Yes there is more weight but also more control.
I agree the lack front strap checkering blows especially for the cost but it still intrigues me.
a little grip tape could also easily help if it’s an issue. It also gets really good reviews on line.

I've seen, held, and dry fired one. I really liked it, but I've used my free money for the next month or two.

I have shot one , it is very nice to shoot. while i like the 3" version , honestly your are not giving up too much to not go with the better for carry

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-emp-4-concealed-carry-contour-9mm/

P19229LP_R.jpg

I've got the EMP4 .40, which has front strap "checkering" - it's more of a dimpled surface. It works a lot better with a gloved hand than it does a bare hand. I'd prefer more standard checkering, but not sure the lack of any checking would be a deal breaker for me, in 9mm.

I'm also not keen on the ambi manual safety lever for ccw.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

I have shot one , it is very nice to shoot. while i like the 3" version , honestly your are not giving up too much to not go with the better for carry

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-emp-4-concealed-carry-contour-9mm/

P19229LP_R.jpg

I handled this same model at my LGS several months ago, but haven't fired it.
It's a true scaled down 1911 built around the 9mm cartridge, not a .45 modified to shoot 9mm.
I really liked the look and feel of this one, and how well it fit my hand.
However, I couldn't justify the over $1k price tag.

I carried one of the 3” 9mm models for a while. Kicking myself in the ass for selling it. The gun hid SO well while carried, and was a dream to shoot. Accurate as hell.
I personally didn’t mind the weight. It wasn’t too much, and let me know I had a solid gun. Rebuying one is on my to-do list. Sucks I sold off all the “rebate” stuff (4 extra mags, holsters) with it.
The only thing I did to mine was add a pair of g-10 aggressive slim grips on it.

Just got back from the range and all I can say is WOW. This gun is fantastic. Shoots like a dream. Nominal muzzle flip even with mag dumps. Great trigger too. I only stopped because I ran out of ammo. Chewed through 200 rds without a hiccup. This is definitely a case of you get what you pay for. Also don’t see a problem with carry. Weight or bulk not an issue.

Just got back from the range and all I can say is WOW. This gun is fantastic. Shoots like a dream. Nominal muzzle flip even with mag dumps. Great trigger too. I only stopped because I ran out of ammo. Chewed through 200 rds without a hiccup. This is definitely a case of you get what you pay for. Also don’t see a problem with carry. Weight or bulk not an issue.

What shop had them in stock? I've been wanting a 9mm 1911 for a while, and only have seen the Ruger SR1911! Thanks :)

How wide/thick are these? I didn't see that listed on the SA web specs.

I don’t have measurements now but I did do a side by side comparison with my G26. Overall length is about the same. The EMP frame is taller but with a Pearce extension on the G26 it is basically equal. The EMP is also thinner than the G26. Overall the EMP just feels more natural in your hand.

B93DEA7F-A89D-4428-8F78-E1B62C2AEE59.jpeg AFEC3E4C-1145-446B-BCF0-CFD93BB7DE5E.jpeg 69141073-02B3-4F10-8795-755E30BA0DC5.jpeg 04A90C5C-2E23-4CF7-9E5D-BA03FF29A739.jpeg C505348B-BDDC-4BEE-B699-9D571E78A2B5.jpeg

What shop had them in stock? I've been wanting a 9mm 1911 for a while, and only have seen the Ruger SR1911! Thanks :)
Precision Point in woburn has two in stock. I think they were $949? Saw them Black Friday

There is a guy out there (California) that can modify you mag to a flat bottom. You lose one round but conceals better.

Damn, I want one. I have no use at all for it. None at all (I have plenty of CCW guns). I'm a big fan of 1911's (I have 4 in .45 and a Sig P238, baby 1911) and have my eye on the Colt Competition in 9mm. Might now need to get both the EMP and Colt. I hate this site. You all cost me too much money!!!

My EMP4 .40 got some much needed exercise recently, and all was going well until the grip screws (Torx) loosened up. All better now, and I have a bunch of 180 grain on the way. I much prefer the 180 to the 165. I hadn't thought much about it before, but this gun made it very easy to discern the difference.

Back
Top Bottom