USPSA in NH

I really want to give USPSA or IDPA a shot (not sorry for the pun) but don't want to deal with traveling into MA. I live near Nashua. Anywhere in the area that's open to a newcomer?

I definitely know my way around a handgun, just never shot in competition or games so it doesn't need to be a firearms beginners course.

IIRC Pelham and Pioneer run matches in NH. I think Pioneer does Steel Challenge, too.

-Mike

Please disregard my post below and the other posts I made regarding this issue. I was wrong on some of the issues. Most specifically, non-residents CAN NOT bring post ban hi-cap magazines or assault rifles into MA for any purpose, including competition! I have done additional research and communicated with retired Chief Ron Glidden who is an expert on MA Firearms Law. Chief Glidden confirmed what other members here such as peterthefish, dgrafton, bill o, and Len-2A training stated in this thread. I apologize! I wanted to edit my first post so others coming to this thread would not have to read all the way through. Again, my apologies to the OP and others. I'm not going to continue making comments in this thread, but wanted to let folks know I was wrong and didn't want folks coming into MA to shoot competitions to inadvertently commit a crime.....a felony.
Best to all....

Chief Glidden's comments below:

Nick,

Section 131G does allow for nonresident carry of a handgun for competition.
That is formal competition rather than target practice at a range. The NRA
has advised for years that persons using this exemption have some type of
advisement listing the competition just to be on the safe side. 131G is just
for handguns. There are nonresident exemptions for non-large capacity rifles
and shotguns under chapter 140, section 129C. They don't require
competition, just going to the range is OK. There is no exemption for
nonresidents to bring in post-ban large capacity magazines or post-ban
assault weapons
. Since there is only a LE exemption for MA residents, it
would not make sense to have a wider exemption for non-residents.
Participants in 3 gun matches have plenty of choices in MA complaint rifles
that do not meet the definition of an assault weapon. Those pre-ban or MA
compliant rifles just have to use either pre-ban LC mags, or 10 round or
less magazines. 131G does not have to prohibit LC mags or AW weapons as they
are prohibited by other sections. And yes, shooters who have participated in
matches with post-ban large capacity magazines or post-ban assault weapons
are committing a crime - a 10 year felony to be exact.

Chief Ron Glidden (ret.)

My original comment that is not correct: Don't be afraid of coming into MA. Its no biggie. Just lock your guns in a case, unloaded and travel to the range. Harvard Sportsman's Club off 495 on Rt 2 is a great USPSA club and close to you. Folks from ME, NH and CT travel into MA for matches all the time. No issues. Hope this helps. Nick-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I really want to give USPSA or IDPA a shot (not sorry for the pun) but don't want to deal with traveling into MA. I live near Nashua. Anywhere in the area that's open to a newcomer?

I definitely know my way around a handgun, just never shot in competition or games so it doesn't need to be a firearms beginners course.

Check out the Pistol Competition Calendar and choose which events meet your criteria.
It can be found here:
http://www.icalx.com/html/wmccurdy/month.php?cal=2016+Pistol+Competition

Links to the calendar can be found here:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/270094-2016-Pistol-Competition-Calendar

Last edited:
Don't be afraid of coming into MA. Its no biggie. Just lock your guns in a case, unloaded and travel to the range. Harvard Sportsman's Club off 495 on Rt 2 is a great USPSA club and close to you. Folks from ME, NH and CT travel into MA for matches all the time. No issues. Hope this helps. Nick-

My M&P has 17rd mags. I'm pretty positive that's an issue. Right?

My M&P has 17rd mags. I'm pretty positive that's an issue. Right?

No issue. Your licensed in your home state and traveling into MA for a match. Guns are locked in a case unloaded. Get to range and shoot. Shooters travel into MA for matches all the time w/ high cap mags. No problem.

No issue. Your licensed in your home state and traveling into MA for a match. Guns are locked in a case unloaded. Get to range and shoot. Shooters travel into MA for matches all the time w/ high cap mags. No problem.

This is disingenuous advice at best. OP hasn't stated he's licenses and may not be.

You would be be committing multiple crimes (including felonies) taking ammo, guns, and Hi-Cap mags to a match in MA without a license. But you'll probably be fine. As long as you don't get caught.

Wow! Are you f****** kidding?!? Giving a non-resident advice like that is a douche move at best.

What people may do is one thing, but don't act like it is ok. If you're going to give advice, why don't you try explaining the law and then letting the asker decide their level of risk.

And you are LEO giving that advice? WTF

This is disingenuous advice at best. OP hasn't stated he's licenses and may not be.

You would be be committing multiple crimes (including felonies) taking ammo, guns, and Hi-Cap mags to a match in MA without a license. But you'll probably be fine. As long as you don't get caught.

Not true. If you are properly licensed in your home state and travel into MA for a match, you are not breaking any laws. You can't carry concealed, but you can come into or travel through MA w/ your firearms as long as they are unloaded and locked in a case while being transported in your car.

Not true. If you are properly licensed in your home state and travel into MA for a match, you are not breaking any laws. You can't carry concealed, but you can come into or travel through MA w/ your firearms as long as they are unloaded and locked in a case while being transported in your car.

The OP stated he is shooting an M&P with 17 round mags. No such thing as pre-ban M&P mags.

True.

1) OP didn't state he is licensed in his home state, and many folks out of MA are not as a license is not required for ownership.

2) Even if licensed, no other state license meets the legal requirements for issue that MA does so in theory that exemption is worthless.

3) Regardless of 1 and 2, bringing out of state post-ban high caps is a no no.

NH does require a license. Even if he was coming from VT where no license is required he would be OK. Your confusing carry concealed and coming into MA for a match or even hunting. No worries. Agree to disagree.

NH does require a license. Even if he was coming from VT where no license is required he would be OK. Your confusing carry concealed and coming into MA for a match or even hunting. No worries. Agree to disagree.

NH only requires a license if you want to carry CONCEALED. Otherwise NO permission slip is needed to own what you want.

NH does require a license. Even if he was coming from VT where no license is required he would be OK. Your confusing carry concealed and coming into MA for a match or even hunting. No worries. Agree to disagree. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing but bad info coming from you, To the OP, stay in NH where your safe from tyranny and shoot matches up there. Anyone who brings guns in to this state without a LTC is batshit crazy.

Again, not a big deal because he can legally possess the firearms in his home state. No difference if he got an out of state hunting license and came to MA to hunt.

Again, not a big deal because he can legally possess the firearms in his home state. No difference if he got an out of state hunting license and came to MA to hunt.

You should sit out the next few plays and read up on this law.

Yes they do but they're probably not aware that the MA competition exemption has a huge legal flaw/problem with it that any state lawyer could drive a bus through. Nobody's been bagged on it because most people keep their head down and don't act retarded but it's worth being aware of in terms of taking precautions.

There is no "agree to disagree", you're out of your element here.

Well then...

I'm not licensed in NH. Just never got around to it. I lived in Braintree for 2 years and during that time I had a LTC-A unrestricted. Not that any of that matters. I'd rather not deal with the potential of getting pulled over by grumpy cop looking to prove a point.

It was not my intention to derail the OP's thread. I apologize. However since this all took a left turn, here is the MA General Law that allows non-residents to come into MA w/ firearms for competition or hunting. I stand corrected on the issue of needing to be licensed in your home state. The way I read this, you do. I'm not an attorney and was not intending to offer legal advice. I will say that in 30yrs of competitive shooting in MA, I have never seen or heard of any non-resident shooter being prosecuted for a firearms related crime. Area 7 USPSA matches, 3gun matches, S&W IDPA championship matches all attract shooters from across the country and even from other countries. Everyone will make their own decisions anyways. Shoot well.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131G

You are absolutely WRONG and that is multiple felony quality bad advice.

You can keep believing that but it is very unwise to advise others that don't know to commit multiple felonies.

The citation that you quoted is INVALID. NO state meets those requirements. If you really want to know why, do some searching on this site, I've posted the exact reasoning numerous times.

Last edited:
Well then...

I'm not licensed in NH. Just never got around to it. I lived in Braintree for 2 years and during that time I had a LTC-A unrestricted. Not that any of that matters. I'd rather not deal with the potential of getting pulled over by grumpy cop looking to prove a point.

You don't need a license to go to a shoot in NH... You can even open carry in NH without issue (follow the definition on the books). You can conceal provided the pistol us unloaded. IF you want to carry concealed (and loaded) in NH, then apply for the non-resident license and be done with it. It's an insanely amount easier than a NH resident trying got get a MA non-resident permission slip...

Of course, this information has been plastered all over NES to a disgusting degree too...

You don't need a license to go to a shoot in NH... You can even open carry in NH without issue (follow the definition on the books). You can conceal provided the pistol us unloaded. IF you want to carry concealed (and loaded) in NH, then apply for the non-resident license and be done with it. It's an insanely amount easier than a NH resident trying got get a MA non-resident permission slip...

Of course, this information has been plastered all over NES to a disgusting degree too...

I'm fully aware of all of this.

Holy shit dude! Please stop offering advice!

Yes, your post ban magazines are felonies no matter what or where you are licensed. Now perhaps there are people that choose to ignore that, but let's at least be honest so the person asking the question knows what they are getting into....

All post ban magazines are illegal in Massachusetts(there are some provisions for law enforcement ect )

OP, pay attention to LenS. He's done significant research, consulted with people who make and influence policy, and can be trusted.

Legally, you cannot bring a pistol into Mass without proper licensing or credentials.
"Hi-Cap" magazines are not permitted into Mass without proper credentials (LEO usually).

If you choose to ignore any part of it, just keep your head down, do a little over the speed limit, and shut your mouth to anyone that asks.

Holy shit dude! Please stop offering advice!

Yes, your post ban magazines are felonies no matter what or where you are licensed. Now perhaps there are people that choose to ignore that, but let's at least be honest so the person asking the question knows what they are getting into....

All post ban magazines THAT HOLD MORE THAN 10 ROUNDS are illegal in Massachusetts(there are some provisions for law enforcement ect )

One little correction, otherwise you are spot on. POST BAN HI-CAP in ma = felony unless you are a LEO.

BTW I see the law being ignored all the time but I hope those people at least know.

One little correction, otherwise you are spot on. POST BAN HI-CAP in ma = felony unless you are a LEO.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW I see the law being ignored all the time but I hope those people at least know.

Sorry, yes of course.... The OP had mentioned 17 round m&P mags and I forgot to make that distinction.

In a thread with this much bad info I should have been more careful (sorry)

Back
Top Bottom