USPSA in NH

I contacted Craig in Pelham, NH and he's going to take care of me as far as getting everything started up here in April.

Thanks for all of the insightful information!

I knew there was a reason why I didn't want to bother going to MA. I'm a father of 3, a shooting competition isn't worth the jail time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last I knew preban mags were fine if you had a mass permit, Post bans were out permit or not. FOPA states you can travel thru any state as long as your legal where you start and where your trip stops

So op wants to shoot uspsa in NH, and he gets 30 posts about shooting in MA. Way to go NES.

Pelham is likely your best bet.

Last I knew preban mags were fine if you had a mass permit, Post bans were out permit or not. FOPA states you can travel thru any state as long as your legal where you start and where your trip stops

Can you provide the section of the FOPA that covers ammunition or magazines for future reference?

Also, OP said he was shooting an M&P with 17 rd mags, of which there are no pre-ban mags available.

So op wants to shoot uspsa in NH, and he gets 30 posts about shooting in MA. Way to go NES.

Pelham is likely your best bet.

I also thought that was interesting. Although, if shooting in MA weren't as difficult as I had originally thought (appears it is) I would have been open to it. Though as with most other people I've talked to, there are too many laws with too many interpretations to even make the risk worth it.

I also thought that was interesting. Although, if shooting in MA weren't as difficult as I had originally thought (appears it is) I would have been open to it. Though as with most other people I've talked to, there are too many laws with too many interpretations to even make the risk worth it.

I think the 20 of the responses were an effort to kill the horribly bad information that was provided in the other 10 posts.

If you find any that are decent, let me know, I haven't been to a match in a year for the same reason.

Please see my post #3 on the first page of this thread. I was wrong in my previous comments and have attempted to set the record straight and apologize. Sorry for the heart burn.
Best,
Nick

Nick,

Glidden is wrong too wrt handguns. None of us are perfect but he doesn't take criticism well and trash-talked Jason Guida (prior FRB Director) when I asked him to clarify this point in his seminar in 2014. It is a bogus exemption due to the fact that no state meets the requirements laid out in the exemption wrt issuance of LTCs (or equivalent). Whether this is due to poor grammatical wording of the law or an intentional attempt to make it look like something it isn't is open to speculation.

Nick,

Glidden is wrong too wrt handguns. None of us are perfect but he doesn't take criticism well and trash-talked Jason Guida (prior FRB Director) when I asked him to clarify this point in his seminar in 2014. It is a bogus exemption due to the fact that no state meets the requirements laid out in the exemption wrt issuance of LTCs (or equivalent). Whether this is due to poor grammatical wording of the law or an intentional attempt to make it look like something it isn't is open to speculation.

I think when it was written whoever wrote the law was clueless and didn't realize that little bit of wording made the entire law worthless. It is kind of interesting that it literally took a long ass time for someone to figure out that it was legally broken. Of course the test case aspect of it is fun... I don't think there will ever be a test case, unless some bizarre series of circumstances are met such that arresting the accused is warranted for something else. Most halfway decent LEOs in MA will leave unwashed people alone if their storage is at least on the level of what is set out in FOPA. nearly all the cases that involve unwashed getting busted with a gun in MA revolve around some guy throwing a loaded gun in his console, or floating around under the seat, etc. Or like that kid with the rifles laying around on the back seat with the 50 bmg necklace, etc... lmao. I mean when's the last time you heard about a guy getting arrested for having an unloaded handgun locked up in a hard case in the trunk? Not saying it's legal, just saying that it's pretty obvious where the prosecutorial tendencies are with most PDs.

-Mike

Sounds like a chance not worth taking--taking any gun into a state whose municipalities might arbitrarily choose not to recognize FOPA and where the individual right to own firearms is not recognized anyway. Not worth potentially losing one's freedom.

Sounds like a chance not worth taking--taking any gun into a state whose municipalities might arbitrarily choose not to recognize FOPA and where the individual right to own firearms is not recognized anyway. Not worth potentially losing one's freedom.

This is pretty much the conclusion I've come to. I don't have enough faith in the MA judicial system/law enforcement to not string me up in the Boston Commons if I'm pulled over and not following everything to an absolute T. So, I'll either participate in Pelham or I wont at all.

Regardless, this thread has certainly turned into an interesting discussion that hopefully answers some questions for others that are looking.

IIRC Pelham and Pioneer run matches in NH. I think Pioneer does Steel Challenge, too.

-Mike

Thank you by the way. Because of your post I looked up the Pelham gun club and contacted Craig, who's going to take care of me.

Thank you by the way. Because of your post I looked up the Pelham gun club and contacted Craig, who's going to take care of me.

I know you are looking for USPSA, and I get that, but Pioneer runs IDPA and Steel Challenge and they do a good job with the matches they put on.

I know you are looking for USPSA, and I get that, but Pioneer runs IDPA and Steel Challenge and they do a good job with the matches they put on.

Where is Pioneer? I'm certainly open to the different options. I'm not dead set on USPSA.

I wouldn't mind trying out one of these competitions at Pelham (my club range).

FYI, a gun shop by me told me if I have my MA NON-RES LTC ,that it was OK to carry my pistol with standard cap 17 round (high cap in MA) in MA because in my home state of NH it was legal. I thought that was dangerous info to give out. I wish it were the case, but it's not.

I wouldn't mind trying out one of these competitions at Pelham (my club range).

FYI, a gun shop by me told me if I have my MA NON-RES LTC ,that it was OK to carry my pistol with standard cap 17 round (high cap in MA) in MA because in my home state of NH it was legal. I thought that was dangerous info to give out. I wish it were the case, but it's not.

Having large cap in MA IS legal with an LTC, but if the magazine itself was made after 9/13/94 merely having that mag is potentially a felony if prosecuted.

EG:

Glock 17 with 17 round magazine made a month or two ago = not OK
Glock 17 with 17 round old shitty mc shit U notch mag made before the cutoff = OK (there are plenty of legal glock mags, I just used the U notch as an obvious example).

I agree though its dangerous shit to be telling people, but you could spend the rest of your life trying to "correct" these gun shop clavins and not get anywhere with them so I just turn it into a mumbling noise before it reaches my brain.

Most gun shops or LEOs talking about MA gun laws = you should just hear this, it's probably more accurate...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom