USPSA Match -- Manville, RI -- 9/17

Matt shot at least one of the plates (left one) twice to get the bonus target to pop up faster. He was only off Dave's winning run by 1.18%. Considering Matt wasn't shooting his best game, that is one way (a risky one) that could make the question of taking or leaving the bonuses very close to call.

I must be truly weird (although I'll bet most of you had no question about that), because I'm really enjoying looking at the various results for that stage and hearing about how people shot Paper-Bonus. Dan S is correct about evaluating the effect of the bonus targets on total time and hit factor, but I need more experience to have a solid understanding of my expected splits under match conditions. I know my splits under practice conditions, but during a match ... I got nuthin'.

I had also considered running it the way Mike C. did (Plate-static-bonus). Matt thought it was do-able, but he noted that it involved a lot of wiggling back and forth. I figured I'd mess up the back-and-forth motion and pull a mike, so I chickened out. (For the record, I suggested that Matt shoot the plate, then 4 static, then grab the bonus; he didn't take my dare.)

Regarding Matt's technique of pounding-down the plate, I understand that it's a common high-level technique, and I've even done it myself on that classifier stage that USPSA canceled. Nowadays, I try to avoid it and I avoid setting stages where it's tempting to double-hit steel. When you shoot steel that has already started to fall, round two (and three or four) gets a steel-perfect skip into the next county.

Being absent from the match, and not knowing how the stage was set up, it's difficult to give an opinion. However, with a bonus target, that you can't engage static targets without "wiggling" the plan is obvious. Skip the bonus. Like Dan, I wouldn't hammer the activator, hit it once, and let it fall slower, giving time to hit the static targets. This is definately a good place to be several shooters down in the order. Pay attention to the speed of the bonus target. Being the first "guinea pig" on the stage isn't going to give the best chance to find the best solution.

ok, back again and see i've missed out on all the fun talking about that stage

As steve said, i shot the plate twice and then got the bonus target. But the problem was, I missed my first shot on the plate. So had to take 3 on it. If I hit the plate on first shot, as I should, figure take a minimum of .25 off the time and my hit factor is now the top one.

I say if the points are available and it doesn't cost you like a second and a half, to get the points, always take them.
Gotta say, it's pretty cool when a stage that appears so simple sets off a discussion like this.

Back
Top Bottom