Very special guns

one-eyed Jack

Manufacturer
I shoot everything from black powder to full auto, but there are two guns which I wish will stay in the family forever, God be willing and the creek don't rise. One is the Mossberg 44 US .22 rifle that was given to me at about age 12 or so, 63 years ago. The other is the Colt Woodsman that my dad bought for me 58 years ago. I have a good head start in that all my three sons are into firearms big time and the grand kids are all shooters. My hope is that each of these guns will be passed down from generation to generation and will never leave the family, even though they may someday have to get "lost". Thanks for listening. Jack.

that is awesome.

as far as i know i'm the only person in my immediate family to dive into firearm ownership with such great zeal. i don't have anything as cool but i would one day like to pass on the first gun i ever bought (beretta 92FS) to a son i'll hopefully have one day.

Jack that's awesome - thanks for posting that. My father didn't think like you - he sold all but one of my uncles match rifles. I managed to snag his Winchester Model 75 he competed with at UMass and Camp Perry. I did however inherit a few heirlooms from my mother - one a 1930's LeFever 16ga is my link to the better times of my youth...

I also have hope for a few guns to be passed down. One is well on it's way. It was my wife's great great grandfather's gun and was given to me by my wife's grandmother. It is a J stevens 20 guage from the turn of the century. I will pass it on to my daughter. The other was a bring back from WWII a beretta 32 acp This was from my mother's great uncle who also went to the South Pole with Admiral Bryd.

That's great Jack! Hope none of your (or our) guns ever need to "get lost" but the outlook is a bit ominous. I have three sons, all of whom shoot but don't seem to be quite yet into the "gun thing".

Not sure whether we didn't raise them properly or what but the wife and I are considering downsizing our present home and moving into something more manageable. As such, we have some very old and valuable heirlooms which we'd like to pass down but it seems that none of our kids and families would appreciate "old" furniture, paintings, and such. It's a hard decision whether to give stuff to them only to be destroyed or just hawk it for what it's worth. Tough decisions.

Great story Jack. I am much like Atilla in that no one in my family is really a shooter aside from myself buy I too hope to pass down the first gun I ever bought (Smith and Wesson 1911). May your family never have to part with your treasures.

Thanks for the story Jack. I look forward to teaching my son about firearms and that glorious first day at the range.

Excellent Jack. My dad gave me a Colt Python he bought in the 60s. Out of all my guns, that one holds a special place in my heart.

I have the same feelings. I have the .22 that my grandfather gave me when I was 6, an old Winchester Model 190. I would like that to be passed down. As well as my Grandfather's M1 Carbine...and the 1197 he gave me when I was 12. There's the new Chipmunk that I bought my daughters that I would like them to teach their kids with...

So I completely understand.

I have found that my least valuable (in a monetary sense) have been the most sentimental, because I taught both of my Sons on them. I have a .22 rifle for each Son that they learned on respectively. They will be passed down (God Willing).

Oh, and my Uncle got my Grandfather's .22 pump that he used to hunt when he was a young boy....I was told that was coming back to me...so that will also go down with my family. My cousin got my Grandfather's Grandfather's musket that was used in the Confederate Army. So that will go down his line...

Truly sucks when those that come after don't care for ( or about) what came before...

I agree...my Mom's got my Great-Grandmothers Dining Table. I've been eating on that table my whole life. She wants to give it to me...I want nothing more than to take it...I just don't have nearly the size of house my parents do...so...I don't know where to put it. We already have a hand made dining table my Wife's GreatUncle made himself...so..what to do?

I agree...my Mom's got my Great-Grandmothers Dining Table. I've been eating on that table my whole life. She wants to give it to me...I want nothing more than to take it...I just don't have nearly the size of house my parents do...so...I don't know where to put it. We already have a hand made dining table my Wife's GreatUncle made himself...so..what to do?

Pull a PatMcD and build a barn!

I have one that I will never part with and would like to keep it in the family forever.

My GrandFathers S&W 39-2. He passed about 20 years ago and my Uncle got the gun. Growing up, I dreamed of owning that pistol one day. After I got my LTC, my Uncle offered it to me. He said my GrandFather would have wanted me to have it. I will give it to my son(if I ever have kids) or my Cousin when the time comes.

Just be sure you keep yourself, kids and grand-kids active in shooting. That's when guns get sold off, when they become nothing more than lumps of steel in the eyes of their owners (i.e. those that do not shoot).

Anything that was left to me from my Dad. Most specifically a Stevens Crack Shot 26 (1st gun I ever shot) and Marlin 336 (my mom bought it for him as a wedding gift when they got married, 2nd gun I ever shot). After that his Firestar 45. I used to tell him how much I liked that gun and he would joke that when he was gone I could have it. After that the Ruger Super Redhawk I bought him when he retired. Then everything else.

That's great Jack! Hope none of your (or our) guns ever need to "get lost" but the outlook is a bit ominous. I have three sons, all of whom shoot but don't seem to be quite yet into the "gun thing".

Not sure whether we didn't raise them properly or what but the wife and I are considering downsizing our present home and moving into something more manageable. As such, we have some very old and valuable heirlooms which we'd like to pass down but it seems that none of our kids and families would appreciate "old" furniture, paintings, and such. It's a hard decision whether to give stuff to them only to be destroyed or just hawk it for what it's worth. Tough decisions.

Do you adopt Ohioans?

Very nice - keep it in the family. I love that your passing along the traditions.
I too wish to have the pleasure of a family in the future and look forward to the day I can teaching my children

Dad passed four years ago next week, give or take a day. I have his Hi-Power, holding his S&W 60 for my sister. ( If she ever gets off her azz and gets permit) and I passed his M1 to his godson per his wishes. Now what is statute of limitations on Sis? :)

Back
Top Bottom