Vinyl or Fiberglass Replacement Windows

I am finally getting Pella Replacement Windows....

Can someone please tell me if it is worth the extra money investing in the fiberglass windows rather than vinyl?

Basically, the fiberglass windows are double the cost of the vinyls.

They appear to feel heavier and of better construction, but double the cost of vinyl.... seriously.....

Has anyone replaced there windows with either recently, likes....? dislikes....?

Much thanks!

I just put up vinyl a few months back and so far I like them. It was the end of winter so I’m not sure what to expect regarding energy savings yet but overall look and function is a huge improvement over my old windows.

I looked at the fiberglass too and couldn’t get past the price jump either. They seemed a lot stronger and more ridged but I didn’t see that it made any difference in how well the opened or installed in the showroom models I looked at.

Disclaimer: I’m no expert regarding windows. Read nothing into these comments.

I have installed thousands of replacement windows and the biggest qualifier to your question is how large is the window. Small windows vinyl is fine but as you approach 32"x65" or larger the extra rigidity will pay off over time. I would also say it is a salesman game and there are equal or better windows out there at a better price than pella, what are they getting per opening and whats included?

I am finally getting Pella Replacement Windows....

Can someone please tell me if it is worth the extra money investing in the fiberglass windows rather than vinyl?

Basically, the fiberglass windows are double the cost of the vinyls.

They appear to feel heavier and of better construction, but double the cost of vinyl.... seriously.....

Has anyone replaced there windows with either recently, likes....? dislikes....?

Much thanks!

we choose the Pella fiberglass and had them installed last December. They are awesome

I've had Harvey vinyl for 15 years. Still like new. I never saw the fiberglass so can't comment. My widows are not overly large if that is a factor with you. If I had to pay double the price for what I have, IMO, it wouldn't be prudent.

+1 on the harvey vinyl, I have installed many for customers/others and feel that vinyl suff for most applications.

As stated earlier, the fiberglass is more dimensionally stable during temp extreems. Fiberglass is also sturcturally more stable when mulling multiple windows together, but for most normal window dimensions it is a non-issue.

FWIW if you are not in a hurry, measure your openings and go check your local lumber yard for returns/leftovers. Downside is that you have to be willing to accept different manufacturers and/or dimensions and availability times. I am super cheap and nothing if mot patient when it comes to saving money so i really scored on my remodel. I just saved over $1500 on 4 windows...big suckers too.

If you're going to spend the extra $$ go with wood. Vinyl works well but I have seen a fair number that are warped.

I have also installed more windows than I can count both replacement and new construction and think that while Pella is a great window you are paying for the name. You cant go wrong with Harvey. That being said I am not a big fan of vinyl and would never put one in my house.

That's to all, I have decided to pony up the extra duckets and get the Fiberglass/synthetic replacements.
Not to mention that the wife likes the looks of the fiberglass over the vinyl.

Most of the windows are 36x48.5, and will probably appreciate the extra rigidness that the fiberglass will offer.

Got to love NES, lot's of experience out there.

that said, if your gonna stay there forever then i would pony up the bucks, but if you move

in 10 years of less i don't think its worth the extra money, and will you get your money

or a fair portion of it back. just my 2c

Right JimB, was definitly a factor in the decision. We are not going anywhere for at least 5 years, after that.... Who knows....
Apparently the warrantee is transferable to any potential new owner. Who the hell can aford a larger house these days anyway.

Back
Top Bottom