Visible beam laser

Does anyone produce a laser sighting device that operates with a visible beam rather than a projected "dot"? I sometimes have trouble picking up the dot and end up reverting back to the sights. This costs valuable time. I know a visible beam would introduce some of the problems that a rail light does including giving away position but I think the tradeoff would be worth it. I would mount the device on my Sig 229R.

Regards,
Chris

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. All normal laser signing devices project a beam of visible light. You see whatever part of that beam that's reflected back to your eye. That's just the way light works. The fact that you only see the dot on the target simply means that there isn't enough water vapor, dust and other crap floating in the air to reflect a lot of light back at you. Fire a couple of shots on an indoor range, or outdoors when there's no breeze, and you'll see the part of the beam close to you reflected back by the smoke. It's impossible to have a solid visible rod of light like a Jedi light saber; if you can see it, then it's being reflected back at you; as a result the intensity will fade with increasing range.

Ken

Yeah, turn it on and you'll see exactly what I mean. The more light gets reflected by the fog, the faster the beam fades. A jedi would be in big trouble if his light saber got weaker the firther from the hilt it got.

Ken

Thanks for the science lesson. What I'm talking about is a laser that operates in a spectrum that maximizes the reflection under the greatest variety of atmospheric conditions. Many lasers in the green range have a visible beam in relatively dry conditions, though they tend to wash out fairly easily in daylight. Give people some credit once in a while guys!

Regards,
Chris

you want a Class 3a, 532nm laser.
that frequency is most visible to the human eye under a host of atmospheric conditons, and the 3a power rating will drive it through the clearest of days and still appear extremely visible, and not just at the focal point but over its entire lenght of travel..
pricey, but great for bore sighting..

Last edited:
you will NEED eye protection.. these are not time exposures..this is what it looks like..
DSC00390.JPG

DSC00382.JPG

DSC00386.JPG

DSC00380.JPG

Thanks, Snake. Any more info on where to buy and if anyone makes a mount for this type of laser? I guess I could also machine something to get it to fit, just wondering about alignment and adjustability though.

Regards,
Chris

youll proboly have to machine yourself a bore scope of some sort to mount it, but you can get the diodes and power supplies down below. and i cant stress enough to get the glasses. just a glance and you WILL be blind..

http://www.megalaser.com

Last edited:
SnakeEye said:
youll proboly have to machine yourself a bore scope of some sort to mount it, but you can get the diodes and power supplies down below. and i cant stress enough to get the glasses. just a glance and you WILL be blind..

http://www.megalaser.com

Not to just the user. This could have grave consequences to other people
in the vicinity. It only takes a fraction of a second of distraction to cause a
lifetime of regret and ugly consequences. Fear is your best friend when using
lasers.

TBP

If they upped the power on these lasers a little more, you wouldn't actually need the rifle at all...

The Boston Patriot said:
Not to just the user. This could have grave consequences to other people
in the vicinity. It only takes a fraction of a second of distraction to cause a
lifetime of regret and ugly consequences. Fear is your best friend when using
lasers.

TBP

Its powerfull enough to blind through closed eyelids.
that being said, how f***ing cool is that :p

SnakeEye said:
Its powerfull enough to blind through closed eyelids.
that being said, how ******* cool is that :p

In that case, why even bother with attaching it to anything?

C-pher said:
Ok, maybe it's me...but that's not all that cool. I know that you were trying to be funny. But that's the type of comments that will get the men in black watching us.

Or maybe I'm just paranoid... [smile]

if i have to start worrying about retribution from my own goverment for what i say in jest then this country is indeed in a far worse state than i thought.
I guess ill just have to resort to the musing of blinding passing traffic :p
damn thought crime..

Last edited:
Cross-X said:
Now all we gotta do is figure out a real good reason to buy an industrial-strength green laser!

I'm sure we can come up with something!
Varmint control? And apply for a Federal Grant too!

You know guys, I used to work with Lasers that had an Ocular Hazard of 80 Kilometers (yes, 50 Miles) to the naked eye, and 160 Kilometers (yes, 100 Miles) to Telescopes.

Takes a LOT of power to designate targets.

Back
Top Bottom