• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

wet ammunition

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
My friend uncovered a box of .44 magnum cartridges in his basement that look like they had been flooded. The cardboard was dried out and soggy. He took them out to dry, and was wondering if it is safe to shoot them, how long they need to dry, etc.

Anyone have any advice?

Depends on if the primers are sealed or not I believe. I was told to get sealed primers on my carry/work ammo incase they get wet. That being said I would not shoot them unless I had no other choice. Throw them out.

i would try one in a revolver, i don;t think there would be a catastrophy
here.... if they turn out to be duds, dispose of them properly.

or you could take them a apart.

JimB

In the case of that ammo unless the primers and the part where the case meets the bullet was sealed I wouldn't use it. Usually only mil-spec ammo has that feature if I recall correctly. Likely some water got in them and did some damage if they weren't.

I'd shoot it. Just because a primer and bullet doesn't have any sealer on it, doesn't mean it got wet inside. If he's concerned, just have him pull one of the bullets out, and see if the powder is dry inside or not.

Back
Top Bottom