What did you do in the reloading room recently?

These are 20 min or so south of marshfield. plimoth bay out fitters , Out Back Arms plympton
South Shore Tactical Hanover , theres a few guys in Rockland in the "art" building. As always call firts to make sure they are open.
i have only been to outback through covid. Thin pickings but i find something each time.
Been wanting to check out SST how is it?

Star Socket it is!
Now we need shirts printed up. Team Star Socket. Naahhh that sounds like a title for a new gender studies group appointed by Biden. Star Socket of DEATH!

Do you have a 38? I'll send some your way. Or when my buddy gets his 125 grain 9mm mould with the same pins I'll make some up for you to try.
I picked up a 2cavity version of this 38 mould but I have a 4 cavity on order. I think May will make 2 years since the group by opened up. We are hoping to get them sooner than that though
No 38 yet on this side but maybe soon. But that is not necessary... I appreciated what you already shared..

Tesred some 45acp loads I made up last night. 230 grain berry plated round nose. 5 grains bullseye. They were quite stout as I've been using 200 grain swc for quite awhile. But.....that was the point. Trying to make some ammo that is closer to factory loadings. They were accurate and ran fine. A bit stouter than I was going for but we'll under max (5.3 according to Lyman is max). Honestly I may back those down to 4.7 or 4.8. But at Least I know the oal of 1.26 will cycle fine so I'm assuming 4.8 will do nicely. Dies are still set up in the turret so now I'll make a couple hundred this week.

Anyone know what the bullseye charge is to approximate "mil spec" 230 grain projos?

Should make a decent pin shoot load.

Last edited:
Tesred some 45acp loads I made up last night. 230 grain berry plated round nose. 5 grains bullseye. They were quite stout as I've been using 200 grain swc for quite awhile. But.....that was the point. Trying to make some ammo that is closer to factory loadings. They were accurate and ran fine. A bit stouter than I was going for but we'll under max (5.3 according to Lyman is max). Honestly I may back those down to 4.7 or 4.8. But at Least I know the oal of 1.26 will cycle fine so I'm assuming 4.8 will do nicely. Dies are still set up in the turret so now I'll make a couple hundred this week.

Anyone know what the bullseye charge is to approximate "mil spec" 230 grain projos?

Should make a decent pin shoot load.

5gr. of HPC-18 pulldown powder ( using Bullseye data as instructed by Jeff at gibrass) with a 230 plated and oal of 1.26 is what I just finished loading 3k of. It may seem stout but it is not and has been a standard 45 load for me for many years. Any less powder and I can see the bullets going down range.
I use 5gr for 230 jacketed bullets too.

Does Bullseye list any charges close to 850 fps? I think that was mil-spec but don't hold me to it

Found this-
from a 1995 manual ?
TM 43-0001-27CARTRIDGE, CALIBER .45, BALL, M1911Type Classification:STD - OTCM 36841.Use:Submachine Gun, Caliber .45, M3A1; and Pistol,Caliber .45, M1911A1. The cartridge is intended for useagainst personnel.Description:BALL Cartridge. The cartridge is identified by theplain bullet tip.Tabulated Data:DODAC-------------------------------1305-A475UNO serial number-----------------0012UNO proper shippingname----------------------------Cartridges forweapons, inertprojectileWeight---------------------------------331 grLength---------------------------------1.275 in. (32.4 mm)Tracer----------------------------------NAPrimer---------------------------------PercussionFuze------------------------------------NAExplosive:Type----------------------------NAWeight--------------------------NAIncendiary:Type----------------------------NAWeight--------------------------NAPropellant:Type----------------------------SR 7970Weight--------------------------5 grPerformance:Chamber pressure-----------------19,000 psiVelocity-------------------------------885 ± 25 fps,25.5 ft from muzzleShipping and Storage Data:Quantity-distance class/SCG-----------------------------1.4SStorage code------------------------Class VDOT shipping class----------------CDOT designation-------------------SMALL ARMSAMMUNITIONDrawing number--------------------6000503References:SB 700-20TM 9-1005-211-12TM 9-1005-229-12TM 9-1300-206

from a 1995 manual ?
TM 43-0001-27CARTRIDGE, CALIBER .45, BALL, M1911Type Classification:STD - OTCM 36841.Use:Submachine Gun, Caliber .45, M3A1; and Pistol,Caliber .45, M1911A1. The cartridge is intended for useagainst personnel.Description:BALL Cartridge. The cartridge is identified by theplain bullet tip.Tabulated Data:DODAC-------------------------------1305-A475UNO serial number-----------------0012UNO proper shippingname----------------------------Cartridges forweapons, inertprojectileWeight---------------------------------331 grLength---------------------------------1.275 in. (32.4 mm)Tracer----------------------------------NAPrimer---------------------------------PercussionFuze------------------------------------NAExplosive:Type----------------------------NAWeight--------------------------NAIncendiary:Type----------------------------NAWeight--------------------------NAPropellant:Type----------------------------SR 7970Weight--------------------------5 grPerformance:Chamber pressure-----------------19,000 psiVelocity-------------------------------885 ± 25 fps,25.5 ft from muzzleShipping and Storage Data:Quantity-distance class/SCG-----------------------------1.4SStorage code------------------------Class VDOT shipping class----------------CDOT designation-------------------SMALL ARMSAMMUNITIONDrawing number--------------------6000503References:SB 700-20TM 9-1005-211-12TM 9-1005-229-12TM 9-1300-206

I haven't seen SR7970 in many many moons. I think it was around 95 I saw half a jug of it in a pawnshop outside of Ft. Campbell that sold reloads $5 a box of 50. I wish they'd bring that back, I wonder why it was discontinued.

5gr. of HPC-18 pulldown powder ( using Bullseye data as instructed by Jeff at gibrass) with a 230 plated and oal of 1.26 is what I just finished loading 3k of. It may seem stout but it is not and has been a standard 45 load for me for many years. Any less powder and I can see the bullets going down range.
I use 5gr for 230 jacketed bullets too.
Thanks that helps. Maybe I'm thinking it's hotter because all I've been shooting in my 1911 is 200 grain swc over 4.6 bullseye for over a year.

Thanks that helps. Maybe I'm thinking it's hotter because all I've been shooting in my 1911 is 200 grain swc over 4.6 bullseye for over a year.

Very likely.

Go shoot a few mags of the 230/5gr and you'll get used to that load pretty quickly.

I sometimes like a lighter load for pistol plinking but those are done in small batches. I need my ammo to be able to cycle my subguns reliably and I've found that 5gr of Bullseye is about the minimum for me.

Wow, even expanded out of a 38 snubbie. That's impressive.
Not as much as I would like but I know I have room to of the powder charge and get a lot more expansion out of it. The main point of this test was to make sure the hollowpoint point cavity was a good design.

as I think most of us know there are tons of hollow points out there and not all of them expand reliably. The guy designing these bullet malls seems to have a really nailed this penta point pin.

Tried out some 115gr (9mm) over 4.2 titegroup. Not my usual powder. Is titegroup inherently dirty? Brass wasn't that bad, a little soot mark. But, the muzzle was filthy, just like the guy shooting the gun. Will raising the charge clean things up? Or is it just the way it is?

Tried out some 115gr (9mm) over 4.2 titegroup. Not my usual powder. Is titegroup inherently dirty? Brass wasn't that bad, a little soot mark. But, the muzzle was filthy, just like the guy shooting the gun. Will raising the charge clean things up? Or is it just the way it is?

It can be. You have to find that magic # for the charge weight then it burns cleaner.
Not that its 9mm, but as an example things got less sooty for me at 4.6 grs for 230 gr .45.
The lower I went the more my brass and muzzle looked like a chimney.

Go up in charge. I'm running 4.8gr under 115gr. I've shot loads up to 5.4gr (hot and primer crater). It cleans up the hotter you get, but is dirtier than some other powders.

Personally I don't care how dirty a powder is. My guns are tools and thry get dirty.

Go up in charge. I'm running 4.8gr under 115gr. I've shot loads up to 5.4gr (hot and primer crater). It cleans up the hotter you get, but is dirtier than some other powders.

Personally I don't care how dirty a powder is. My guns are tools and thry get dirty.
I'm not one for working up a load. You seem like a good guy, I'll try 4.8 tomorrow. Dirty doesn't bother me either, but this was really dirty. Like I should wear gloves dirty.

4.8gr is the manufacturer listed load for 115gr. You're good there.
I believed you. Tell you what though, I am going to go read my bottle, because I'm 82% certain my Lyman manual shows a lower max charge. As soon as I am done with my coffee, I am going to grab a cigar and load some up. Step out the back door, and see what happens.

That's cool and I've only ever seen one before but they are supposed to really work.
We shall see how much they can shrink groups consistently. Also hope it allows me to run a few more manufacture’s ammo and shrink those groups. Right now CenterX, SK Rifle Match and Midas are lasers regardless of lot#s out of my V22.

Mounted the ATS Tuner on the V22
Funally got to see a v udoo, that controlled feed is pretty darn cool. Friend of friend picked one up to put in a spare chasis he had .
$1800 for a barreled action is to much for me but its a nice rifle.
I was a bit sad to see him dumping "average" ammo in it.
Like to see if the tuner works but man would I be upset if I needed a tuner on a $2000+ 22lr build!

Loaded up some with 4.8gr, will have to let you know tomorrow if I still have all my digits. Wife said it was too late for some test shots, said it would bother the goats.

Back
Top Bottom