What does this weather mean for DEER tomorrow?

This is some pretty crazy weather today. My area is straddling the ice/rain line and there is a lot of ice as well as ton of water. All the streams, rivers, swamps are extremely swelled. Not to mention all the limbs/trees down.

So, what does all this new found water in the woods mean for the deer tomorrow.

I my area they seem to usually hunker down in the thick swampy areas of the forest that are almost unhuntable without driving it. I am hoping these areas are all swelled enough to get the deer moving out of those areas into the opens.

What do you guys think? What should be our strategy in the morning?

Wild animals are better weather predictors than any satellite. With the rain and winds we have had, you can bet they will be bedded down until it starts to clear up.

Tomorrow is supposed to be clear and cold. They will be moving in the early morning. I would set up between their known feeding and bedding areas.

If there are any white oak trees in the area, check them out. Deer love white oak acorns (sweeter than red oak). The wind over the last few days should have knocked more acorns to the ground, creating a natural feed station.

Good luck!

the flip side is we are going to get a huge temp drop today/tonight so all this "wet stuff" is going to freeze.

Translation: very noisy in the woods. if you're going in the morning, get in early and still hunt, or set up drives to get them moving.

If there are any white oak trees in the area, check them out. Deer love white oak acorns (sweeter than red oak). The wind over the last few days should have knocked more acorns to the ground, creating a natural feed station.

Good luck!

Agree, except there are absolutely NO acorns or beech nuts anywhere around here.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/12/12/acorn.shortage/index.html

All the deer around here are holed up in people's yards eating apples and shrubbery. I have a picture at home of 2 does standing right next to my driveway eating under my apple tree.

Back
Top Bottom