What have you done recently to prepare? Please include How-To's also

Just fill it with heating oil, that's much cheaper [devil2]
diesel is cheaper for me, i deduct the entire cost as an business expense, if the DOT dipped my tank i would not get a megafine, plus i dont heat with oil. Also I like filling my truck at home because i have a drain valve at the bottom of my storage tank to get rid of any water, i pretreat alll my fuel at once with a cetane boost/lubricity additive and i dont have to pull into a busy gas station. i buy 200 gallons at a time into a transfer tank.

diesel is cheaper for me, i deduct the entire cost as an business expense, if the DOT dipped my tank i would not get a megafine, plus i dont heat with oil. Also I like filling my truck at home because i have a drain valve at the bottom of my storage tank to get rid of any water, i pretreat alll my fuel at once with a cetane boost/lubricity additive and i dont have to pull into a busy gas station. i buy 200 gallons at a time into a transfer tank.

... I need a diesel truck [sad2]

Last edited:
Lame [smile] if you want an efficient diesel for bombing around in relative economy you should really look at older Mercedes cars. Seriously. Also if you can find one, VW Rabbits came in diesel. 45-50mpg. Great commuter cars.

A 4matic might work with a tweaked suspension... I'll want at least basic off-road capability

i had an m1008, but if you need to get somewhere the same day, its not the truck. my max speed was 55 due to revs. you could put in a 4l80e or a gear vendors od, but thats alot of cash

good tip, didn't know that.... might be less than useful in the wide open county roads in Maine

A 4matic might work with a tweaked suspension... I'll want at least basic off-road capability

Those things are pretty bullet proof. I bet you could lift it 1-2" with coils and go 1-2" taller on tires and be pretty decent on ground clearance. I'm talking solely as a beater car here that gives you an option to used stored home diesel for transportation in a pinch, not drive it every day 100mi.

I am seriously getting an M35 multi fuel at some juncture in 2014.

I started prepping about a year ago with the help of many of your posts. (Thanks for all your help.) I've learned all I can and I keep trying to learn more and sharing the info with family and friends. In the last year people have really warmed up to prepping; I used to get "what are you crazy?" Now people say, "Wow! I need to do that." I still have people tell me, "I'm going to your house when SHTF." But then I tell them they better start contributing before SHTF. AND I tell them that 0b@ma voters get a brass door prize.

A great tip was to buy a few food storage items and/or preps with every visit to the supermarket or Wally World. And I buy a few boxes of ammo whenever I can. It doesn't break the bank and it accumulates quickly.

I now have lots of ammo in each of 5 calibers I use (.22, 9mm, .40, .45, .223/5.56). (FS has lots of .22 now; at under $.08/round.) And a few months of food for two people. A few hundred gallons of water, fully stocked get-home-bags in each car, med kits, lots of tools, weapons. I started buying better/stronger clothes (Love my new Duluth Trading Company fire hose pants), new boots, Multiple cooking solutions. Water purification tablets. Etc. I also started burying caches in a few locations; with preps, guns, ammo/supplies and physical silver (NO ONE WILL EVER FIND THEM!)

I still need more TP, food, fuel, water filters, a generator, and more like-minded friends to contribute BEFORE SHTF.

Last edited:
Making up 2 identical "Get Home Bags" for my niece and her boyfriend for Christmas - I'm going with the USEFUL gifts this year.

Backpack (~$9 from Walmart) - not fancy but it will live in the trunk until needed, so it's fine.
Stainless Steel 'pot' with handle and lid (includes 2 cups inside) made by Stanley
Water Purification Tabs
Multi-Tool
LED Flashlight
Whistle/Thermometer/Compass/Magnifier
Spork
WetFire
Magnesium/Striker
PaperTowels
Fishing Kit (went through my stuff and made up a kit with line remnants/bobbers/lead weights (can't use in VT anymore))
MRE from APACK w/heater
First Aid Kit
Hand Warmers
30' Para Cord
6 Zip Ties
Lighter
Chemical Light Stick
Pen & Notepad
Wool Blanket
Space Blanket
Emergency Poncho
Filter Straw
2 Bottles of Water
Large Trashbag (44gal)

Also, everything is Ziplock bagged.

Pic as promised, wool blanket not in the pic it's 60x80 surplus.

View attachment 88324

I'm also thinking about 90% silver quarters, but they are teens; not sure they would leave them alone until needed.

On a personal note: Still down 40lbs to about 230lb @ 6'3", did 1.25 miles on the treadmill and some weights this afternoon. Next week I start my rotation 1 mile on the treadmill, 1 mile on the elliptical and some weights after. I do have to get back to my diet, my goal is 200lbs.

The only thing I might add to your excellent list is some cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly as fire starters. Alternatively, you could include some trioxane tabs. My thoughts only.

Last edited:
Dryer lint soaked in melted petroleum jelly is awesome as a fire starter. It's what we use for backpacking. Also works great in conjunction with a magnesium fire starter because the flakes stick to the petroleum which really helps on a windy day. I always carry a Bic lighter, but I try to teach the kids to do it the tough way first.

good tip, didn't know that.... might be less than useful in the wide open county roads in Maine

If you buy the M1009 instead (the blazer version), there are much higher axle gears (and top speed). Same shitty 2 alternator 24v glow plug smoking no-horsepower oil leaking detriot diesel 6.2 though. Ask me how I know. [wink]

Believe me, listening to that thing scream at 70-75MPH will set your teeth on edge, but it will run 75. At least mine has on a 120 mile trip. Can be had locally. Not mine http://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/4189580513.html

PS I bought mine with 115k on it, but rebuild hubs, brakes and a rebuilt THM400 for 2500. I've had to put u-joints in it, but it starts and drives everywhere. Averages 18mpg

Lately every time I eat take out or fast food I'll snag a few extra utensils, ketchup, salt, pepper, napkins, etc. Over time I've got enough to fill a shoe box.

I made a quick and dirty rocket stove tonight, a couple of cans, tin snips, and a drill. Yes they really do work, I'll need to post some pics of the good one I'm going to make next.

The only thing I might add to your excellent list is some cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly as fire starters. Alternatively, you could include some trioxane tabs. My thoughts only.

Isn't that basically what wetfire is?

edit: I ask because that's what I have in my ghb, and I used it in place of the cotton balls/pj ziplock, because I was under the impression that they did the same job. I wasn't being snarky.

Last edited:
If you stay in hotels a lot snag the shampoo/soap/mouthwash and the single serve coffee.

Otherwise, these are great money burning a whole in your pocket preps (sans the coffee maybe... ketchup less so). As essential items, inflation hits them quick, and stocking up is a better return than most savings accounts. If it doesn't really expire and a good sale can be had, stock it high and deep. A lot of folks fool themselves making soap, you can buy a lifetime supply for relative peanuts if you find the right deal. Mix brands where possible to avoid your natural body and hair oils building tolerance.

Isn't that basically what wetfire is?

edit: I ask because that's what I have in my ghb, and I used it in place of the cotton balls/pj ziplock, because I was under the impression that they did the same job. I wasn't being snarky.

No worries. I had never heard of wetfire. But after a brief search, I agree with you. Sorry.

I actually prefer the trioxane or esbit tabs. YMMV.

I made a quick and dirty rocket stove tonight, a couple of cans, tin snips, and a drill. Yes they really do work, I'll need to post some pics of the good one I'm going to make next.
That's cool... Been wanting to make one of those. IVE saved a few cans for that purpose. I also want to make a Canadian candle.... Looks fun.

I've challenged myself to learn one new skill each month in 2014. January will be learning to tie 5 new knots. Feb I'm enrolled in a fabric weaving class. Still thinking about the rest of the year, but I got a fancy new compass for Christmas so learning how to use that will be one month and probably getting my HAM radio license will be another. I think I'd also like to learn to kill and dress a chicken.

Emptied my 26 gallon aluminum storage tank of 1yr old 93 octane gas, it goes into my truck as usage allows.

I will refill next week, stabilize and another year begins.

Back
Top Bottom