What have you done recently to prepare? Please include How-To's also

Finally got snow tires around Christmas. Just had radiator fixed on the other car.

Did you know you can get solar storm alerts?

I'm making moonshine...for personal consumption of course.

i think that's helpful.

Last edited:
Guess we could bring this back:

Fell of the wagon on the exercise - gained back 5-10 lbs [sad] - winter has just been too long and depressing - as well as other family stuff to deal with - I'll be back on it hard next week - it's warming up and it's saw slinging time (I really enjoy running the chainsaw).

Bought 1 yr supply of Freeze Dried Food/2000cal day/1person kit
Bought 12 "100 hr candles"
Bought 1 #10 of non-GMO, non-Hybrid seeds
Bought 16oz ASP Silver solution

Have been acquiring ammo when I can - not much to speak of - but I'm back over 2K for the 22's (I gave ~5K to the boy scouts last year)

Acquired more Gold and Silver (physical delivery) - biggest 1 time buy I have ever done.

All of the above was accomplished by cashing out my IRA (wasn't huge), paying the penalty and taxes. I feel a real need to finalize my preps - don't know why - it's just in my head and on my heart.

Last edited:
Got 4 more beds set up at the cabin. Bought 4 new sets of flannel sheets, wool blankets,

Bought 400 rounds of .45 at Wally World. Bought CLP and patches too.

Topped off oil tank at the cabin. Rotated 20 gallons of stored diesel for the tractor, got 20 fresh gallons. Damn diesel is expensive right now.

Tested propane stove without electricity to igniters, burners work, oven does not.

Filled tires on deuce and a half and CUCV, started them and let the batteries charge. Tested slave cable for 24v jump start from CUCV to deuce. Topped off all non-fuel fluids on fleet.

Refilled 4 of the 5 gallon cans that have gotten emptied over the winter between quads, chain saws, etc.

Test ran both chain saws.

Last edited:
Test ran the gen under load for 15min. The Ryobi is quiet and started on fifth pull after sitting for five months.

Reloaded 700rds.

10 more 5gal pails/Mylar full and stacked.

The more I prep, the more I realize we need.

THIS !!!!

I have been reading some books lately (Grid Down - Reality Bites series) - things I put for my next buy at amazon
* yoyo fishing reels
* Coyote Snares
* Celox
* Trauma Kits (Adventure Medical)
* Battle Dressings
* Combat Tourniquet

Some other odd medical stuff, water tabs (blister packs)

Amazing all the stuff that exists that could be the difference between life and death or stay in a box my whole life (but I don't think I'll get that lucky)

I'm waiting for a dry day to pull out the tractor, take off the blower, remount the cutting deck and run the generator under load for 20 minutes or so (drive the moisture out of the coils - per instructions, but it stays in my garage, covered, not much of an issue - but I do it anyway)

Did the above order - along with some Fish Antibiotics (A really good thing to have if the world turns to crap) and no prescription needed.

Last edited:
WOOT ! What goes around, comes around.

Helped a neighbor clean up his garage & yard last weekend and found these with a note when I got home today.

Scored 17 quarts and 9 pint jars ! Gonna need some serious cleaning but all very serviceable.

photo1_zps03e5e7a8.jpg

They all appear old and have a large star and "MASON JAR" molded into the side, one of the pints has "Mom's Mason Jars" molded into one side and two of the quarts have "1776 above the Liberty Bell and 1976" below the bell.

(Crappy cell phone pics)

photo2_zpsc5663d64.jpg

photo3_zps9a4370b4.jpg

Kinda tough to get any detail but thought they were interesting enough to share.

Helped a neighbor clean up his garage & yard last weekend and found these with a note when I got home today.

Scored 17 quarts and 9 pint jars ! Gonna need some serious cleaning but all very serviceable.

photo1_zps03e5e7a8.jpg

They all appear old and have a large star and "MASON JAR" molded into the side, one of the pints has "Mom's Mason Jars" molded into one side and two of the quarts have "1776 above the Liberty Bell and 1976" below the bell.

(Crappy cell phone pics)

photo2_zpsc5663d64.jpg

photo3_zps9a4370b4.jpg

Kinda tough to get any detail but thought they were interesting enough to share.

dishwashers do wonders for mason jars, just get new lids

photo1_zps03e5e7a8.jpg

(Crappy cell phone pics)

photo2_zpsc5663d64.jpg

photo3_zps9a4370b4.jpg

You're welcome.
hey my offer on the lot up north stands I'm in no hurry to sell let me know when you're ready

tried my first canning with tattler lids. 4 of 7 failed. I did not know that I was supposed to tighten the band immediately after pulling from the canner. Will try again soon.

tried my first canning with tattler lids. 4 of 7 failed. I did not know that I was supposed to tighten the band immediately after pulling from the canner. Will try again soon.

Thats the trick. Like having to flip the bail when using the old jars. I am not a fan of the Tattlers. The rubber seal takes a trick and a good hand to not damage so you can reuse it. They are an option but I have had good luck with reusing regular lids. Wouldnt do it as a course of regular use but post disaster or if there was a serious shortage I would reuse them without worry.

Good info. I ordered a small amount of them after reading some online reviews. They do sound a little tricky to work with so I haven't tried them out yet. I need a day where I have extra time and patience to work with them.

Thats the trick. Like having to flip the bail when using the old jars. I am not a fan of the Tattlers. The rubber seal takes a trick and a good hand to not damage so you can reuse it. They are an option but I have had good luck with reusing regular lids. Wouldnt do it as a course of regular use but post disaster or if there was a serious shortage I would reuse them without worry.

Good to know! I've noticed a lot of them still look good after opening whatever it is I canned. I usually switch to one of the plastic lids once the jar is opened.

I've been acquiring medical supplies as of late.

I got several wound care packs from WalMart - sporting goods section (small cuts, that band-aids can't handle) it includes single use small pouches of CELOX. In each of the vehicles and home first aid kit - plus BOB.

500 rounds of 3/8" Slingshot Ammo to go with my Barnett Wrist-Rocket - quiet, minimal meat damage.

Steristrip skin closures and simple butterfly skin closures.

Next on the list - AN INVENTORY.

I've almost lost track of what I have, so a list is in order. I'll put it in a safe place so if I'm not around my family will know what and where stuff is.

Speaking of that - BUY REFERENCE BOOKS. Battlefield surgery, First Aid, SAS, Country Living; that kind of stuff. You never know who will appear at the retreat and could be trained in one of these disciplines.

I bought 50 pounds of steel cut oats , from Amazon. ... and am waiting on the resupply of Mylar bags to come next. I like irish oatmeal

Last night I re-upped my BJ's membership and started my Big Hoarde of coffee. And per used prices of stuff. I'm going to put away some semi long term stuff , 18 months or so , and rotate it in real life eating.

Instant pancake mix runs about a year and a half of storage. I like pancakes , too.

Last edited:
I bought 50 pounds of steel cut oats , from Amazon. ... and am waiting on the resupply of Mylar bags to come next. I like irish oatmeal

Last night I re-upped my BJ's membership and started my Big Hoarde of coffee. And per used prices of stuff. I'm going to put away some semi long term stuff , 18 months or so , and rotate it in real life eating.

Instant pancake mix runs about a year and a half of storage. I like pancakes , too.

Raisins are a good 12mo storage item for adding to things like oatmeal.

Bought cayenne, hot sause, lemon juice, salt, pepper, lime, garlic powder, onion powder, chipotle, worcestershire, vinegar, and a bunch of other spices to make what I have stored less likely to cause appetite fatigue.

Put up a bunch of onion relish and canned for long term storage. It is better after 6 months of aging http://www.food.com/recipe/flos-special-hot-dog-relish-218607

Some bullion cubes have oil and fat as part of their ingredients which can go bad.

Indefinite would be great, but I am not sure if that is realistic.

I have a bunch of beef and chicken cubes stored in Mylar with O2 absorbers, but I don't use enough of them on a regular basis to go through them quickly.

I was just wondering what he was getting for usable storage time.

Cool - thanks.

I have a vacuum sealer for dry packing mason jars I use with my food saver. I recently opened a vaccumed jar that is 4 years old to test, no noticeable degradation. They were the wellesley farms store brand from BJ's.

more info fro the interwebs...looks like as long as 5 years, so far http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=268360

Even though mine seems fine, I am replacing them next visit to the bulk store to freshen the stock and start the age clock over again. Not everything is dried beans and red wheat

Can your dry beans now with chili seasonings. Tastes great! Plus makes for a great tasting, quick chili now and will reduce your need for clean water and cooking later. I actually have the canner loaded up right now doing this. I followed this video for quart jars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_OFj8xqLdc

I'd go at least 5 years too. Cycle them out during normal cooking if you can. I have some 4 year old ones stored in the original plastic container they came in from BJs. Using them slowly and they are still good.

Thanks.

I have mine just for appetite fatigue (thanks for that Jay-great phrase!) with the SHTF rice and pasta. I also have a few cubes in the bottom of my survival kits.

I'd go at least 5 years too. Cycle them out during normal cooking if you can. I have some 4 year old ones stored in the original plastic container they came in from BJs. Using them slowly and they are still good.

Sorry for the thread drift, but what are you cooking with bullion cubes - mostly soup or something else?

Last edited:
I use beef bullion as part of my brisket injection and marinade. I use it in the crock pot with some recipes too. I added some to my stores simply to add flavor to what ever I may have to eat.

Back
Top Bottom