What I learned about guns from the movies!

We did this on one of the aviation forums I belong to. It got really fun! So, for something fun to do on a Friday, Ill start....

I learned that from Die Hard 2....There is a company in Austria that makes a gun that can't be picked up by airport metal detectors. And it cost more than what a cop makes in a month. Wow! What are the bullets made of?

Cocking a hamer on an average handgun makes a noise SO loud, that people can here it all the way across the room!

Ok...your turn![grin]

I learned that if I want to learn anything remotely accurate about guns and shooting that I bypass the movies and go to recognized experts in the field.

No matter how many shots you have already fired, you always rack the slide before you kill the REALLY bad guy.

And what appears to be a 30 round magazine is really a one million round magazine.

There are bullets that will hit you right between the eyes and no where else.

Newton's Laws do not apply to firearms - a .45 bullet that merely moves your arm up a few inches in recoil WILL blow the 200lb bad guy you're shooting at straight back 5 feet, usually through a plate glass window.

In the movie "The Town" TEC - 9's have no recoil and you can shoot them with one arm and miss a target that is 5 feet from you

Dont forget that lara craft from tomb raider can shoot .50 cals, zero recoil , one in each hand..

There are certain things to keep in mind about Hollywood guns, they aren't like the guns you and I have.
Apart from the most obvious features such as never ending ammo and unusually loud slides, there are some other special things about Hollywood Guns.

They are easy to shoot- In Hollywood, any rifle equipped with a pistol grip can be easily fired one handed accurately. This would include AK-47's, M-16's, M-60's, Mac-10's, UZI's, etc. Do not attempt this at home, you will spray lead over a 60 yard area instead of a 6" area.
They also come with a "now I'm serious" slide that can be cycled without ejecting the chambered round, but makes a lot of noise to let your target know you are serious and done asking questions.

Hollywood guns only kill the victim if he is in the middle of the street or a field. He will instantly die, unless of course he is holding an automatic weapon at which point he will die and spray bullets into the air.
If this same man is in front of a window, the Hollywood gun has the amazing ability of being able to propel him backward through the window as if hit by a bus. If the man gets past the window and up on a balcony, the gun develops a magic vacuum power that will shoot him and then pull him up and over the railing. He will not die during this process, as evidenced by the long scream that accompanies this. The higher up, the louder the scream, especially deadly to guards in watchtowers.
If you are ever shot at by a Hollywood gun, pray it is a bad guy gun. These guns fire special shoulder-seeking bullets that can't hit any vital organs. Good guy guns are another story, if sprayed at a large crowd, good guy bullets always hit their targets.
This concludes today's lecture on Hollywood guns.

In the movie "The Town" TEC - 9's have no recoil and you can shoot them with one arm and miss a target that is 5 feet from you

Dont forget that lara craft from tomb raider can shoot .50 cals, zero recoil , one in each hand..

^ you mean to tell me when watching Tomb Raider, you saw any firearms at all? I was going to say guns, but her guns were all I saw in that flick![laugh]

Cowboy movies where they are holding someone at gunpoint with an SA revolver, and then click the hammer back to show they are now serious.

Pointing a gun at someones head means you're kinda serious. Thumbing back the hammer means you're totally serious.

Have you been to an NES shoot?

Maybe were bad guys, cant hit the broad side of a porsche. [wink]

Newton's Laws do not apply to firearms - a .45 bullet that merely moves your arm up a few inches in recoil WILL blow the 200lb bad guy you're shooting at straight back 5 feet, usually through a plate glass window.

Have you watched 'last man standing' recently [rofl]

I learned that revolvers carry 12 rounds, and that ordinary criminals and cops are terrible shots but the main good cop and bad guy are expert marksmen.

Cowboy movies where they are holding someone at gunpoint with an SA revolver, and then click the hammer back to show they are now serious.

At first I was all:
hgsingle_091907g.jpg

And then I was like:
hgsingle_091907b.jpg

My dad (WWII Armorer) used to get really riled up at movies getting it wrong. "THAT FIRES FROM AN OPEN BOLT!" "THAT CYCLIC RATE'S TOO HIGH!"

Good thing I'm mellow......a 19-shot 1911 is an excellent idea, after all!
I watched a bad 80's shoot-em-up flick last night where almost every gun in the movie sounded like mac10/45, even the AKs.

The old Robert Wuhl Superman joke.

"So he stands there with his chest puffed out letting bullets ricochet off him, but then he ducks when the bad guy throws the empty gun at him."

Also, if you are Charles Bronson, you can hip-fre a 1919 accurately. (jump to 2 mins)

Now that I look at it, Death Wish has every cliche' out there, including the rare "no scope sniper rifle one handed hip shot"

Last edited by a moderator:
Any hero who gets behind a scoped rifle can make an accurate 4 mile shot without any kind of adjustments for wind or distance

A little Chinese karate guy can completely strip a Beretta with one hand in the blink of an eye! (Leathal Weapon 4)

The old Robert Wuhl Superman joke.

"So he stands there with his chest puffed out letting bullets ricochet off him, but then he ducks when the bad guy throws the empty gun at him."

Also, if you are Charles Bronson, you can hip-fre a 1919 accurately. (jump to 2 mins)
"You can't?" -Sterling Archer

The Weaver stance is the only way to go.

2 major safety rules (safe direction, finger off trigger) are pretty much optional.

Any hero who gets behind a scoped rifle can make an accurate 4 mile shot without any kind of adjustments for wind or distance

And a handgun corollary to this states that any idiot, if they are the good guy, can pick up a gun for the first time ever, and within ten minutes be making shots that IDPA champs would envy, and making them in crowded malls with no casualties.

Another difference relates to black rifles. Not only do the movie guns fire endlessly, but if they are military issue M-16's, then the magazines have actual bullets in them, as opposed to broken off pencils, from about 6 rounds down.

The A -Team are the worst shots ever and any 007 agent can nail every bad guy at 300 yards using his .380.

No, Bond's PPK is actually chambered in .32 ACP, which makes it that much more hilarious. [laugh]

I want that gun, because it makes one shot stops at 50 yards easy. [rofl]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom