What I learned about guns from the movies!

The Weaver stance is the only way to go.

2 major safety rules (safe direction, finger off trigger) are pretty much optional.
Prior to about 90's it was cool to ride the trigger, even twirl a semi-auto/DA... [laugh]

I think guns used to be safer or something before Brady kicked in...

You can really scare someone with a gun that looks like a penis, complete with two cylinders as (ahem) and it pops out just when you need it! (From Dusk til Dawn)

James Bond shot a guy out of a tree across a field with a shotgun set up for shooting doves.

No, Bond's PPK is actually chambered in .32 ACP, which makes it that much more hilarious. [laugh]

I want that gun, because it makes one shot stops at 50 yards easy. [rofl]

-Mike

Wait are we talking about the golden gun from goldeneye..... cause I'm pretty sure that was a .40;)

sent from my truck while driving down 95 in the high speed lane doing 55

You're not ready to kill someone and really mean it until you cock the hammer.

Guns run out of ammo when you decide to stop shooting.

Storm troopers are highly accurate marksmen while shooting up sand people. Apparently ONLY while shooting at sand people.

I learned that if you're really good, you can swing your arm around as you fire your gun and make the bullet curve around objects to hit the target that's behind them. [laugh]

I learned that if you're really good, you can swing your arm around as you fire your gun and make the bullet curve around objects to hit the target that's behind them. [laugh]

Ah, yes, and the MYTHBUSTERS really BUSTED that one!! There could be whole thread about gun myths by the Mythbusters!

I've been watching 24 on Netflix recently. The amount of Hollywood gun silliness is astounding. Clearly you need to rack the slide before entering a building, and fingers should ALWAYS be on triggers with hammers cocked pointed at heads in cars. But my personal favorite was when Jack has to go take on some ridiculous amount of terrorists by himself and he goes to the back of the suv to get his guns... He checks each gun and then takes two spare mags and taps them together twice, gently..... I just can imagine what this was supposed to accomplish.

I'm in the fourth season and they FINALLY started running out of ammo. Apparently there was a group buy on endless ammunition guns at the end of the first 3 seasons.

Still a great show, but you've gotta laugh at some of this stuff.

Well, I did learn from Pulp Fiction that pointing a gun at someone with your finger on the trigger while in a moving vehicle, is very, very bad. [rofl]

"Aw man I just shot marvin in the face!"
"Whyd the **** you do that?!?!?!!?!!!!"

-Mike

Yea the engineered super clone soldiers apparently weren't given good marksmanship. I always found that funny.

Storm troopers are highly accurate marksmen while shooting up sand people. Apparently ONLY while shooting at sand people.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Oh yeah. these too...

You can expect a gun to work in the vacuum of space...like in Armageddon.

Um... why not? (Armageddon notwithstanding, of course). I mean, if you left a gun in vacuum for a while I can see that the oil lubricating the moving pieces would evaporate off but I don't see why it wouldn't go boom. I could be wrong but I don't think that gunpowder needs external oxygen to burn... does it?

there are two kinds of fatal bullets:
1. the ones that drop secondary characters in an instant
2. let important characters to tell some wise shit or for evil dudes, to confess to the crime before dying.

guns are really quiet. I always thought that Mosins were like firecrackers, loud but manageable, then I saw a mouse at the range drop dead from a shockwave after firing an m44.

Dont forget that lara craft from tomb raider can shoot .50 cals, zero recoil , one in each hand..

They watched EC with his 500s and used that as a "model" for LC's actions in the movies! [wink] [laugh]

I learned that every cowboy six-shooter shot at least 9 shots before reloading was required.

I learned that the right way to open or close a revolver cylinder was to jerk the gun sideways so that it slammed open/closed. [Some of my Moon Island students do that with my gun and I cringe every time!]

what ive learned from the movies its not really firearm related exactly, but no matter how many times Godzilla shows up you always throw tanks at him, hey why not eventually you might get lucky [rofl]

Tactics and training are completely useless; Federal HRT teams get owned by terrorists but one guy with a pistol can save the day... And explosives and tank main cannons don't actually kill anyone, they blow up buildings and throw people around, then they get up and brush themselves off. Also, after clearing a house with an extra super killy fully automatic death machine (usually an m-4) the good guys can talk and hear perfectly at a normal level. Only in comedies does the whole "gunshots are really loud" thing come into play.

Um... why not? (Armageddon notwithstanding, of course). I mean, if you left a gun in vacuum for a while I can see that the oil lubricating the moving pieces would evaporate off but I don't see why it wouldn't go boom. I could be wrong but I don't think that gunpowder needs external oxygen to burn... does it?

thats my question. would it? I mean you need O2 for something to burn...yes?

I don't know much about full auto guns, but when they run out of ammunition, the hammer keeps clicking at the firing rate until you release the trigger. ( I wish I remembered the name of that movie.)

--jcr

I don't know much about full auto guns, but when they run out of ammunition, the hammer keeps clicking at the firing rate until you release the trigger. ( I wish I remembered the name of that movie.)

--jcr
Plenty of examples of that in movies, and no they don't do that, they require something to fire/move to reset the trigger unless it is a gatling gun...

An Uzi is just as accurate bouncing down a flight of stairs as it is when fired from the hip. (True Lies)

Regardless of the guns in use, the bad guys are always "packing some serious heat"

Bad guys/good guys can hide anything up to the size of a 105 howitzer under their suit coats and no one knows it's there. Paul Kersey can fire his 475 Wildey and not have the bolt move or case eject and still kill the bad guy.

Last edited:
I mean you need O2 for something to burn...yes?
The oxygen in gunpowder comes from the nitrates that are mixed in with the carbon. Regular ammunition would do fine in a vacuum (though I wouldn't want to rapidly decompress it without re-checking the bullet seating.

And while we veer off into space...

My biggest space movie peeve, is the billowing clouds of smoke from explosions. The "billowing" only happens in atmosphere. In a vacume everything would go out in straight lines.

Fun orbital mathematics problem: An astronaut in orbit would have to be careful shooting forward -- some orbits later, he could get a bullet in his back.

--jcr

Speaking of space movies... When one space ship traveling at the other is blown up, be it by missile, guns, or lasers, there is no debris and even if there is... despite the velocities and force carried by said debris... the good guy ship is never harmed, ever...

Gunpowder has it's own oxidizer - so no external oxygen needed to explode.
A bullet in vacuum would travel a very long distance...and you would hear no sound of the shot fired.
Which is also why they fire under water.

Temperature of open space would be a BIG problem though... I'm not sure how far down corrosive ammo goes, but I doubt it is far enough...

Speaking of space movies... When one space ship traveling at the other is blown up, be it by missile, guns, or lasers, there is no debris and even if there is... despite the velocities and force carried by said debris... the good guy ship is never harmed, ever...
Everyone knows you can fly triumphantly through the fireball...

Also, despite the total lack of air everything is really loud in the vacuum of space....

Back
Top Bottom