• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

what rem 700 short action chassis candidates to consider...

paul73

NES Member
just a fun (somewhat) friday topic, as my mdt order finally arrived. just need a new barrelled action now, but got into some thinking, that does not help. :)
the idea was to make a bolt .223, as i had none - but i am kinda bored of .223 now.
and already have 308, 6.5cm, 6 dasher, .22lr - do not want nothing in there. also have a decent supply of varget and r16 powders, so it would be beneficial for a caliber to be able to use that, instead of having to buy more. small or large primers - also does not matter.

so, what caliber to go with? what is decently fashionable these days, considering the large actions stuff is out of the window, so, no 7mm PRC.

6.5PRC? hmm, meh. or a 6mm creed, just out of spite and to burn barrels with, as i got a decent supply of 105mm bergers already? just dunno why to do that if i already got 6mm dasher.

and just a food for thought from googel:

Most Common Bolt-Action Rifle Chamberings​

This method of determining what’s most popular is to look at current inventory of rifles at several different rifle retailers. Keep in mind this list (1) excludes rimfire cartridges, and (2) may show a very popular cartridge like 7mm PRC lower on this list because retailers can’t keep it in stock. Data updated as of November 8, 2023.

1. 6.5 Creedmoor (13.49% of all rifles)
  2. 308 Winchester (11.57% of all rifles)
  3. 300 Winchester Magnum (7.01% of all rifles)
  4. 6.5 PRC (5.7% of all rifles)
  5. 243 Winchester (4.3% of all rifles)
  6. 7mm Rem Mag (4.3% of all rifles)
  7. 30-06 Springfield (3.5% of all rifles)
  8. 270 Winchester (3.2% of all rifles)
  9. 223 Remington (3.1% of all bolt-action rifles)
  10. 7mm-08 Remington (Under 3% of all rifles)
  11. 300 PRC (Under 3% of all rifles)
  12. 22-250 Remington (Under 3% of all rifles)
  13. 7mm PRC (This one is undoubtedly SELLING very fast, so inventory is low)
  14. 6mm Creedmoor (Under 2% of all rifles)
  15. 6.8 Western (Under 2% of all rifles)
  16. 300 WSM (Under 2% of all rifles)
  17. 300 Weatherby Magnum (Under 2% of all rifles)
  18. 338 Lapua (Under 1% of all rifles)
  19. 280 Ackley Improved (Under 1% of all rifles)
  20. 25-06 Remington (Under 1% of all rifles)

i was actually thinking about 7saum also. hmm...
it shows imr 4350, so should be same as h4350 - should be same as R16?

a 60gr load. hmm. tempting. :)

ammunition

also seems to be partially proven by this on accurateshooter:

Not sure your discipline, But 4350 is a proven winner on the 180 hybrids in F class comp. That combo has won some major national shoots in the past. RL-16 is very close to the same burn. I've ran 16 on the 180 hybrids with great results, But that bullet seemed to like it more down in the .284 velocity's of 2830-2850. It never agged as well for me on the upper node. But a lotta wood been won up in the 3000 area, but your gonna pay the fiddler on throat erosion for sure. 16 is very temp stable and it always pulls less copper than other powders with heat on these long strings from what i've seen as well. I would definitely take a look at the RL-23 on your combo. Its burn is right between 4350-4831. These new berger 190's coming out with a dab of 23 might need a look at to.

It’s a sweet round for sure. Run mine mild but it hammers. 175 Elite Hunter around 2850

i was thinking at some point to make an ultralight .308 bolt hunting one, but having that ruger sfar - now it makes 0 practical reason. gotta think more. :)

7 saum sounds very nice - completely impractical and a totaly badass caliber. :) and doable with my available resources.

When I read the title of this, I thought you wanted recommendations for a good chassis and I was going to point to @Mudflap621 's ad for his ACC Elite.

So, what Action are you going with for this build?
the whole idea is to choose a caliber now, as chassis is already here, in 700 rem sa.

Do they make them in 6.5-300 Weatherby?

That is like the flatest shooting cartridge. Or one of the flatest, flatter than 6.5cm and most of its competitors.

Look at this chart:

You reload, so the only concern would be funding bullets. Weatherby has nice reloading data published, although I haven't heard of most of the powders they use.

Last edited:
25x47 will be the top gamer gun caliber within the next year or so, mark my words!
why now/next year out of the sudden - it was around for a while, i heard of it back in 2021, i think?

i never really understood the idea behind this 6.35mm caliber - like neither there nor here thing.

why now/next year out of the sudden - it was around for a while, i heard of it back in 2021, i think?
PRS nerds follow whatever is trendy. Low recoil, great BCs, seems to shoot accurately with low SDs no matter how you load it.

If I were to build a new rifle tomorrow it would be in this caliber. But I’m way too lazy and care too little 😂

25-06: God's own coyote caliber.

(But i once had a discount 223 Rem 700 from Cabelas at some insane low price after rebate. With handloads it was mind-bogglingly accurate.)

PRS nerds follow whatever is trendy. Low recoil, great BCs, seems to shoot accurately with low SDs no matter how you load it.

If I were to build a new rifle tomorrow it would be in this caliber. But I’m way too lazy and care too little 😂
i realized my back cannot handle prs bend overs - so will restrict to a benchrest fun only, or shooting standing upright...
frankly so far the 7 saum seems like a winner - i think it is a largest possible one to be done in a short action. a total waste of powder, of course, but, damn.
i'll need to do more research of this topic.

plus i am mostly trying to think what is out there that i can do using my existing resources. may go with a 6.5 PRC instead, as for that one i would only need brass.

i realized my back cannot handle prs bend overs - so will restrict to a benchrest fun only, or shooting standing upright...
frankly so far the 7 saum seems like a winner - i think it is a largest possible one to be done in a short action. a total waste of powder, of course, but, damn.
i'll need to do more research of this topic.
7 saum would be an excellent choice

If I were to do a LA caliber it would be 300 PRC hands down FWIW
yeah, and it is not even a large action - magnum. was not on mdt sale. :)
oddly enough, they did not even have large ones on sale, or may be i was too late to the fun.

If u got 6.5 projos do a 6.5 saum. Brass is around but it’s not cheap. ADG is the best brass for Saum and they’ll have some right around New Year.

Never even heard of it before. I think my next will be just plain jane 6BR.
You can’t go wrong with a BR, I dont care what anyone says. I’ve got two 6mm blanks ready to get chambered and I’m really debating doing a straight BR.

For the last two years I’ve been running a 6BRA and I have no regrets but for the speed I run I could easily just run a BR.

Back
Top Bottom