What to buy to build an AR-15

You left out the lower parts kit cost, so add about $90 with a GOOD trigger set and not the gritty part that they usually supply .

A sport for $599 , is that a mASS. compliant sport?

Nope, the rifle kit includes the LPK, so that's covered. The kit contains everything except a stripped lower.

ETA: and not only that, but that kit was on sale for a stupid $499. With a blem lower, that's a complete PSA rifle for a ridiculous $600 at your door. Watching for specials from places like PSA can really pay off.

Last edited:
You left out the lower parts kit cost, so add about $90 with a GOOD trigger set and not the gritty part that they usually supply .

A sport for $599 , is that a mASS. compliant sport?

The kit includes everything except the lower.

And yes. Four Seasons had them for $599 last month.

If I liked to put things together, the PSA kit that gets you a serviceable gun for $500 would be interesting.

If I was new to ARs and didn't know what I wanted, I'd get the sport for $100 more. The S&W lifetime service policy is like gold in my opinion. Shoot. I might get the sport anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

+1 on Rainier arms! I've been buying from John for years, and to call him simply top notch feels like an injustice. Simply one of the best in the industry to work with.

He built an upper for me 4 or 5 years ago. I think he charged me something like $50 to put everything together. I have no idea what he charges now.

I feel like new builders, especially ones who don't already own an AR platform rifle and have not really gave one a good look over, might be intimidated when seeing the parts list. I remember the first time I poured a LPK out on to my table and just thought "shit what did I get myself in to?!" but as soon as parts started going together, it was much easier than I had it in my head...kind of the whole "anticipation is worse than the event" deal. Once I built my first one I was hooked and have never bought another complete rifle since. Some of my shooting buddies spend the big bucks on the high end big name AR's and scoff at my "home built" ones, not realizing some of my guns are actually, IMO, better than even the best complete rifles to ME, since I customize each one to exactly what I think is best for what it's for...I also make one off parts once in awhile, usually out of Ti, that you just can't get...makes it that much more fun. I second everyone who said satisfaction is huge when building your AR...even if its the cheapest parts you can find, you will know that gun inside and out, down to every little spring and pin, that in itself makes you a more confident shooter IMO.

Back
Top Bottom