what would be the most desirable language of a potential marine learn prior to enlist

I want to learn a new language other than arabic. Im pretty sure im gonna join the marine corps. and id like to learn a language that would make me a more desireable candidate, and maby put me ahead a bit. Also any other recommendations for skills to learn prior to enlistment that would put me a head of others or qualify me for special positions would be most appreciated. thanks

First, capitalize the "M" and "C". Second, more desirable candidate for what? You need to be a bit more specific about what you'd be interested in doing.

Go with what youd like to be able to use later in life, not something to get better placement in the Marines for a few years. Try japanese, youll probably like it.

Knowing that we have Marines stationed at U.S. Embassies all over the world, I would think that a lot of languages would be a valuable skill.

Have you asked a Recruiter?

answer

Learning any lanquage other than arabic (of which pashtu and farsi are common arabic dialects in iraq and afghanistan) would be a mistake. You can also qualify for additional pay if your able to pass certain tests in those languages. Nobody gets paid for spanish or japanese.

If you want to be a desirable candidate for the Marines make sure you can tie your shoes and have a pulse. For languages other than Arabic, maybe Chinese, or Korean.

I wouldn't worry about it to much. You will be surprised how quickly people learn English when they are in your sights. "Don't Shoot!" is spoken all around the world.

Spanish would still probably be the most useful and if you score high enough on the language aptitude test they will teach you the language they want you to learn.

You don't need to learn another language. When you get deployed, the locals are very familiar with the M9 and screaming Americans. Trust me.

Chinese, that's gonna be important for the next war.

OH%20NO%20YOU%20DI%20INT%20MICHELLE%20OBAMA.jpg

Why not get linguist training in the Marine Corps? If you qualify on the aptitude test they will send you to the Defense Language Institute, which has some of the best language training in the world. You could then qualify for an MOS where linguistic skills are required such as intelligence.

Not to be a smartass, but honestly, I would have to say English.
Being solid on the three R's (Reading, wRighting, 'Rithmatic) works better than a choppy understanding of what language you think you may need in a few years.
If you go into 0211, 0321, or MARSOC, you'll get enough immersion training or go to DLI to do your job.

Back
Top Bottom