Whats the best gun shop in the western MA area and why?

Just curious, what is the issue with doing an FA10 on a lower?

Because there is no requirement to FA10 it until after it is built into a rifle. When it's a receiver it is an "other", and only requires the typical NICS paperwork. People just get worked up over "registering" stuff unnecessarily. I like Mike, but I would go elsewhere to buy a lower for this reason. We have enough regulation and problems already without shop owners making up laws and adding to the mess.

Guns and Gear is okay, their prices on ammo are a bit ridiculous. They are still charging over 50 cents a round on .223, I can get it online cheaper even including shipping.

I've had good luck at Guns and Gear plus one of the owners is on the BOD of where I shoot. Nice people, although they wanted $50 to transfer a lower for me. Not gonna happen.

Plus I like that they post ammo deliveries on Facebook. Saves me time.

- - - Updated - - -

Guns and Gear is okay, their prices on ammo are a bit ridiculous. They are still charging over 50 cents a round on .223, I can get it online cheaper even including shipping.

Online ammo sales to Ma...NEVER... That's illegal. [pot]

Because there is no requirement to FA10 it until after it is built into a rifle. When it's a receiver it is an "other", and only requires the typical NICS paperwork. People just get worked up over "registering" stuff unnecessarily. I like Mike, but I would go elsewhere to buy a lower for this reason. We have enough regulation and problems already without shop owners making up laws and adding to the mess.

I don't believe Mike is "making" up laws, if it has to go to an FFL... most, are just covering their azzzz, the reality is we are building it, isn't that why you buy a lower... I have no problem with it, only keeps me out of trouble.

I don't believe Mike is "making" up laws, if it has to go to an FFL... most, are just covering their azzzz, the reality is we are building it, isn't that why you buy a lower... I have no problem with it, only keeps me out of trouble.

Jack, I get what you are saying, but filing an FA10 on a lower is "making up a law" that doesn't exist and doesn't cover you once its made into a rifle. It is just adding a completely unnecessary step to an already crappy situation. I agree that it isn't really a deal breaker if he had a lower you wanted, but I hate any more tracking info than is absolutely necessary that's all.

I've had good luck at Guns and Gear plus one of the owners is on the BOD of where I shoot. Nice people, although they wanted $50 to transfer a lower for me. Not gonna happen.

Plus I like that they post ammo deliveries on Facebook. Saves me time.

- - - Updated - - -

Online ammo sales to Ma...NEVER... That's illegal. [pot]

O'RLY?? Off to like guns and gear. [thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup]

Went to Pete's for the first time last week. Friendly staff and overall I was generally impressed although I noticed the Glock's were a little pricey. I asked about 9mm ammo and the guy said it was pretty much the same price at .40..... Am I crazy or should it be noticeably cheaper?

Went to Pete's for the first time last week. Friendly staff and overall I was generally impressed although I noticed the Glock's were a little pricey. I asked about 9mm ammo and the guy said it was pretty much the same price at .40..... Am I crazy or should it be noticeably cheaper?

It should be cheaper based on popularity, but the pricing and supply has still not recovered fully after last year's drought which was a result of the Newtown shooting.

Ware sucks.

Ritchie at R&R comes off as a Dbag to most people, but he likes cash and will deal.....he remembers who doesn't waste his time. Don't go there to be treated nice or even shoot the shxt. But I've gotten some great deals there on sporting guns.

Nicks is OK, but he's on his way out.

What is it with Gun shop owners, resturant or liquer store owners are not all rude but gun shops its almost certain. Also some people on this site it just seems the "gun crowd" is very rude and unfriendly. I hate that because it plays into the liberal sterotype that gun owners are all a bunch of redneck A-holes.

What is it with Gun shop owners, resturant or liquer store owners are not all rude but gun shops its almost certain. Also some people on this site it just seems the "gun crowd" is very rude and unfriendly. I hate that because it plays into the liberal sterotype that gun owners are all a bunch of redneck A-holes.

That's a pretty broad brush there, Picasso.

Guns and gear when I'm in western MA and Bobs Gun and Archery Shop when in central MA. I've heard a lot of good things about Four Seasons near Boston, but I haven't been there (yet).

Though it is a pretty broad statement, I understand your intent, and agree. I have certainly run into a higher percentage of ******* gun store staff than ANY other retail type establishment. Not really sure why it is that way? I'm not necessarily looking for a new "friend" at every gun store, but a little courtesy goes a long way, and if I'm treated poorly, or like I'm just a nuisance there I just take my business elsewhere.

The only problem I've ever had was a guy talking me out of buying a reloading press from him. He implied I was too dumb to figure it out. So I went home and ordered one online. I figured it out just fine. I guess seven years of engineering school was good for something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ware sucks.

Ritchie at R&R comes off as a Dbag to most people, but he likes cash and will deal.....he remembers who doesn't waste his time. Don't go there to be treated nice or even shoot the shxt. But I've gotten some great deals there on sporting guns.

For those who don't know yet, Nick's Sport Shop will have new ownership come February.

Ware sucks.

IDK the day i was there they all came off like D-Bags. Maybe if you walk in and know what you want when you get there. but i guess when you ask a few question they don't have time for you.

I bought my pistol from Mike at Guns and Gun Parts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Starting to sound like the guy that bought Nicks is getting out of the gun business. From the website:
"INVENTORY REDUCTION SALE BEGINS NOW. ALL NEW GUNS ARE ON SALE. NO REASONABLE OFFER REFUSED"

Starting to sound like the guy that bought Nicks is getting out of the gun business. From the website:
"INVENTORY REDUCTION SALE BEGINS NOW. ALL NEW GUNS ARE ON SALE. NO REASONABLE OFFER REFUSED"

I want aware that the transfer of ownership has been completed?

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk

It would seem to me that the inventory reduction sale was to sell off as much as possible before the transfer? Let us know who is running the show when you get back...

Well, I took my own advice and went to Nick's today. Walked out with three new toys and a feeling that I should have gone there a LONG time ago. Such nice people. Prices were good and the inventory reduction sale made them even better. Wanted a Ruger SR22 for a while and ended up with two.... the pistol and the rifle. $25 off the pistol and 10% off the rifle. While I was at it I grabbed a used Savage 30 06 that was really decent and came with a low end but decent enough scope already mounted. 10% off that one too sold me. Picked up some ammo and was on my way. I really wish I had been going there for years. I've never met such nice people in a gun shop. Oh, and the changing of the guard has not happened yet. Supposed to be soon if all goes well I was told.

LOL, but seriously they were very nice before I let them know I was buying anything. Some of the other dealers mentioned in this thread weren't nearly as nice as I was handing them money.

I was there Friday. I met the new owner who is working there during the transition. His name is Mario and he was a super nice guy. He said the transfer should be complete within 10 days or so. They are offering some decent prices and the selection was ok. I'll probably stop back again next week.

I wonder if I met him too? There were 4 people working. Dick and his wife, then two other guys. One with hair and one with a shaved head. Both were nice guys. I worked with the guy with no hair.

Back
Top Bottom