Whats the best gun shop in the western MA area and why?

I have alway's liked " Trader John's " in Winchester , NH fair prices and a very large selection . He can be a bit cold to you until he gets to know you .

Ah ok, that was my guess. Seemed like a very nice guy! I'll remember his name for next time... ;)

i bought a SR22 Pistol from them saturday, it was teh same price i could have gotten it from four seasons without the drive. and its local. But his Price on the S&W 15-22 Rifle was still a hundred bucks more even with the sale price, so, while i want to buy local, i will wait for a better deal.

There was some banter between the Dick and Mario about the number of sales that day and who's pocket the money was going into.

That would be fun Glenn. I'll PM you when I'm ready,

Where does Troy rank on the cheese scale?

I'm looking for a middle of the road rifle, over $1,000 but under $2,000.

Honestly I have no Idea. I build all my own stuff now. (now doing chambering barrels and full fab. LOL ) I would just look for the bits you are interested with a good barrel and bolt. swap in a better trigger and shoot it. the rest is chevy /ford bs. My last AR build I machined my own receiver and and assembled it from parts to my specs. (come to think of it I have not bought a complete AR in 15 years LOL) Buy a brand that stands behind the product for warranty . The neat thing on AR's is you can change out EVERYTHING so easy.

Wow - no kudo's to AutoSport in Agawam? The owner comes off as a grump, but is still friendly - he just peppers his comments with profanity. I have no problem with him at all, and he usually has some REALLY INTERESTING stuff in his limited inventory (30-06 ARs, "tanker Garands", etc).

I've had mixed results in Guns and Gun Parts, but mostly negative. Guns Inc has been good, couldn't stand the last owner, when it was AAA.
I've NEVER had good luck in Guns and Gear, been in 4 times, and each time everyone behind the counter had Dou***flakes for breakfast, won't be back. Maybe it's just me, since no one else gets crappy treatment there - and just for the record, I've never had a bad experience at the Gun Room in Shrewsbury, so I'm probably negative polarized for treatment.
R&R is my all time favorite, I've always had a good experience there.

Wow - no kudo's to AutoSport in Agawam? The owner comes off as a grump, but is still friendly - he just peppers his comments with profanity. I have no problem with him at all, and he usually has some REALLY INTERESTING stuff in his limited inventory (30-06 ARs, "tanker Garands", etc).

I sent my dad there to buy his first .22 revolver. After his first time shopping there, he now refers to the owner as "my buddy, Walt". [laugh] I don't usually find anything I want to buy there, but I always enjoy time spent in his store.

Regarding the other local stores...

Guns and Gun Parts - Mike is a really good guy, and a pleasure to chat with. Pretty much every firearm I've seen there is priced very reasonably, especially used guns. I've never walked away with a "steal", but I've also never, ever been burned there.

Guns, Inc. - New gun prices are high, but used guns run the gamut. I'm guessing much of their used gun inventory is picked up at a deep discount, which they then slightly mark up for a quick sale. I think turbo38gn picked up a Lew Horton Pro Series S&W 1911 there for about $600, and I nabbed a S&W Model 65 4" for $325 (among other deals). Definitely worth browsing the used guns there for deals.

Guns and Gear - Overall a good shop, but I don't see why anyone would trash Guns, Inc. and then infer that Guns and Gear treats their customers any differently. Good prices on AR lowers and parts, plus an impressive variety of quality long guns. Their used guns tend to be priced fairly, but a bit high. They also have a better selection of "EBRs" than someplace like Guns and Gun Parts does.

I sent my dad there to buy his first .22 revolver. After his first time shopping there, he now refers to the owner as "my buddy, Walt". [laugh] I don't usually find anything I want to buy there, but I always enjoy time spent in his store.

Regarding the other local stores...

Guns and Gun Parts - Mike is a really good guy, and a pleasure to chat with. Pretty much every firearm I've seen there is priced very reasonably, especially used guns. I've never walked away with a "steal", but I've also never, ever been burned there.

Guns, Inc. - New gun prices are high, but used guns run the gamut. I'm guessing much of their used gun inventory is picked up at a deep discount, which they then slightly mark up for a quick sale. I think turbo38gn picked up a Lew Horton Pro Series S&W 1911 there for about $600, and I nabbed a S&W Model 65 4" for $325 (among other deals). Definitely worth browsing the used guns there for deals.

Guns and Gear - Overall a good shop, but I don't see why anyone would trash Guns, Inc. and then infer that Guns and Gear treats their customers any differently. Good prices on AR lowers and parts, plus an impressive variety of quality long guns. Their used guns tend to be priced fairly, but a bit high. They also have a better selection of "EBRs" than someplace like Guns and Gun Parts does.

Very good assessments Mike.... fair and balanced!!!

I visit Walter almost everyday when he's here... he has one foot in Florida, he's about 78 years old.... wants out. He's the kind of guy that can be great to talk with, just have to walk slowly with him..

Mike at Guns and Gun Parts, in my opinion, the nicest guy in Western Mass.. not pushy, one man show, a decent selection, lots of used guns for more than fair prices. New guns are priced nicely, I've bought many, many guns from him, usually at least 1 or 2 a month for the last 3 years.... do the math.

Guns Inc.... new ownership the last year or so... redid the whole store and working on raising the inventory to be one of the top stores in Western Mass. They really are working hard at finding their way, the owner is another one of the nicest guys, but he has a couple of businesses he runs, so not really around much.. The help has cycled several times the last year, getting better all the time. And yes, I have gotten several really great deals there, I try to stop in once a week, but more often, it's like once a month. Lately, Friday after work I've stopped in.... poked around, bought a few googads, AR parts, a little ammo here and there..

Guns and Gear, not much to say, haven't been back, in about 2 years..

Guns and Gear - Overall a good shop, but I don't see why anyone would trash Guns, Inc. and then infer that Guns and Gear treats their customers any differently.

Alright, I can't NOT chime in on this comment. Are you serious? Guns and Gear are some of the nicest people I've ever dealt with in a gun shop. Guns, Inc, even when I was handing them money have always been d-bags to me. Every single time.

That said, I agree with your comments on Mike at Guns and Gun Parts... fair prices, and a really nice guy.

Alright, I can't NOT chime in on this comment. Are you serious? Guns and Gear are some of the nicest people I've ever dealt with in a gun shop. Guns, Inc, even when I was handing them money have always been d-bags to me. Every single time.

Dead serious. I'd occasionally go to AAA Guns/Guns, Inc. on break, still in my chefs outfit, and Phil would chat with me about his old career in food service. I always got along well with the staff there, except for the guy that used to listen to Howie Carr and actively ignore you. About the 4th time I said "Hi" and received no response, I took the hint. He was let go when the current owners took over. Other than that ass, I've been treated well there.

The staff at Guns and Gear are nice enough, but I've gotten somewhat brusque treatment there a few times. Nothing that would prevent me from going back, but not what I expected based on the rave reviews here.

Last edited:
Dead serious. I'd occasionally go to AAA Guns/Guns, Inc. on break, still in my chefs outfit, and Phil would chat with me about his old career in food service. I always got along well with the staff there, except for the guy that used to listen to Howie Carr and actively ignore you. About the 4th time I said "Hi" and received no response, I took the hint. He was let go when the current owners took over. Other than that ass, I've been treated well there.

The staff at Guns and Gear are nice enough, but I've gotten somewhat brusque treatment there a few times. Nothing that would prevent me from going back, but not what I expected based on the rave reviews here.

Interesting. I guess I'll have to give them another try if things have changed.
I'm not one to hold a grudge.

With Guns and Gear, 90% of my dealings were with Judith. so I can't speak to any other employees. Maybe that's the difference.

Also... I earned my checks in the restaurant world as well. You still cooking?

With Guns and Gear, 90% of my dealings were with Judith. so I can't speak to any other employees. Maybe that's the difference.

Same here, over 90% of my dealings were with Judith over the years mainly because Chris had a day job until about a year ago when he retired, so she essentially ran the whole store. They have always treated me very fairly and I've bought most of the guns I own from them. They now have a handful of part time employees that I have intermittently dealt with, and they all seem ok. I've been going there since they had their original hole in the wall "shop" across the street so maybe I just have history with them, but I often see new people walk in and they are always super nice and helpful, so I don't really get the few negative comments I've read. I know (turbo38gn) Jack C's story of his experience with them a few years ago and they rubbed him the wrong way and I get where he is coming from but fortunately I haven't had an experience like that there.

With regard to the other places D to D mentioned, I have dealt with Mike and he is a very nice guy, prices seemed fair, although I felt the ammo was a bit higher than some probably because of volume.

I honestly have never set foot in the new, improved Guns Inc., but after reading the reviews I will have to make my way over there again. I dealt with the old grumpy bunch back when it was still AAA, and I went in after it changed hands a couple of years ago. The staff was friendlier, but the prices were much higher than other area shops - especially on ammo which was what I originally went there to buy. Sounds like they really improved the place though, so I will keep an open mind and check them out again.

I've been to Autosport a few times over the years and Walter is a cool old guy, but like Jack mentioned above, it's tough getting there when he is actually open for business since he spends so much time in FL. I never bought anything from him, but wouldn't hesitate to do so based on my experiences there window shopping and chatting with him.

Guns Inc.... new ownership the last year or so... redid the whole store and working on raising the inventory to be one of the top stores in Western Mass. They really are working hard at finding their way, the owner is another one of the nicest guys, but he has a couple of businesses he runs, so not really around much.. The help has cycled several times the last year, getting better all the time.

Overall, I like the current crew, but some that have moved on I miss a lot. Most notably Phil... there's no love lost on NES towards him, but he did me a solid once or twice and I will always appreciate that.

Judith is a great lady, very personable and helpful. I can see why she would put the shop in your good graces.

And yes, still cooking. I'm the kitchen manager at the Student Prince in Springfield.

With regard to the other places D to D mentioned, I have dealt with Mike and he is a very nice guy, prices seemed fair, although I felt the ammo was a bit higher than some probably because of volume.

I honestly have never set foot in the new, improved Guns Inc., but after reading the reviews I will have to make my way over there again. I dealt with the old grumpy bunch back when it was still AAA, and I went in after it changed hands a couple of years ago. The staff was friendlier, but the prices were much higher than other area shops - especially on ammo which was what I originally went there to buy. Sounds like they really improved the place though, so I will keep an open mind and check them out again.

Range ammunition and premium defensive ammunition at Guns and Gun Parts are priced high, but Mike occasionally gets in 50-round boxes of "police" ammo at very competitive prices. I've bought many boxes of Winchester Ranger RA9TA+P+ there for around $33-$37 a box. Can't beat that price anywhere else, from what I've seen.

The real deals at Guns, Inc. are used firearms. Ammo is a bit expensive, and many accessories are heavily overpriced, but their used inventory often contains real bargains. Over the years, I've bought a mint condition 5906 for $400, a model 65 for $325, a great 80s era 870 Special Purpose for about $300, and missed tons of other great deals (Jack, I'm still jealous about that S&W 1911 [laugh]). They've also taken care of a number of transfers for me, no hassles.

I had a different experience with GunsnGear. Not on how pleasant they were as I agree that Judith was very nice but rather on price. I was looking for a Bodyguard 380. Not sure why, I just wanted one. GunsInc and one other shop in Westfield were both at 390. Judith wasn't budging off full retail. Not like there was a shortage. Every shop in the area had them and GB is loaded with them but she wanted full retail and wasn't budging. I didn't understand, didn't debate, and didn't buy mine there.

The real deals at Guns, Inc. are used firearms. Ammo is a bit expensive, and many accessories are heavily overpriced, but their used inventory often contains real bargains. Over the years, I've bought a mint condition 5906 for $400, a model 65 for $325, a great 80s era 870 Special Purpose for about $300, and missed tons of other great deals (Jack, I'm still jealous about that S&W 1911 [laugh]). They've also taken care of a number of transfers for me, no hassles.

You missed out on a Colt 4" brushed nickel..... for about $275.00!!!!! that was when Dave first took over. Also, a decent price on a 629 PC 3" with a ported barrel... that was a beauty to...

You nailed it with Mike at Guns and Gun Parts... I have hit him on the bulk 9 - 40- and 45acp before, they were priced right. The rest of his ammo on the shelf is just for convenience.. One has to look on the floor when you first walk in around that first display case to find the deals... or ask for it.. he doesn't push anything... I hate to say, I bought a beautiful 6" high polished Colt Python from Mike during the summer, stole it!! You wouldn't believe what I just sold it for...

You missed out on a Colt 4" brushed nickel..... for about $275.00!!!!! that was when Dave first took over. Also, a decent price on a 629 PC 3" with a ported barrel... that was a beauty to...

You nailed it with Mike at Guns and Gun Parts... I have hit him on the bulk 9 - 40- and 45acp before, they were priced right. The rest of his ammo on the shelf is just for convenience.. One has to look on the floor when you first walk in around that first display case to find the deals... or ask for it.. he doesn't push anything... I hate to say, I bought a beautiful 6" high polished Colt Python from Mike during the summer, stole it!! You wouldn't believe what I just sold it for...

You have my cell number. You really need to give me a call if you find a steal that you aren't going to nab for yourself.

[wink]

Oh, and I forgot about the used 642 CT model for $425. That was a nice buy...

Anyone remember when steals came new in MA? Well, not at the time but in hindsight. When I first got my LTC in the mid 90's, the first shop I went to was Steve's in Chicopee. (Long gone...) Bought a new Colt Anaconda off the shelf for 600. Bought a Kimber Gold Match Gen 1 for 975... Then I found AAA and Dave sold me a consignment unfired Coonan Automag 357 for 675 and a Defender that had just come out for 600. Oh, to have those today in our great state...

Last edited:
Anyone remember when steals came new in MA? Well, not at the time but in hindsight. When I first got my LTC in the early 90's, the first shop I went to was Steve's in Chicopee. (Long gone...) Bought a new Colt Anaconda off the shelf for 600. Bought a Kimber Gold Match Gen 1 for 975... Then I found AAA and Dave sold me a consignment unfired Coonan Automag 357 for 675 and a Defender that had just come out for 600. Oh, to have those today in our great state...

Before my time, sadly. I wish I had gotten into shooting before late 2009...

It may not be western MA but its close (Winchester NH), trader Johns gun shop has all calibers, it ain't cheap but at least its there, in fact its not just ammo the shop is stocked to the hilt! New Hampshire, its like another world up there!

Back
Top Bottom