• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's your brass etiquette when shooting at the range?

What's your brass etiquette when shooting at the range?

• Shoot and pick up the brass I shot?

Votes: 43 26.1%
  • Shoot and leave the brass I shot on the ground?

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Shoot and pick up the brass I shot and scavenge other brass as well?

Votes: 38 23.0%
  • Shoot and pick up as much brass as I can to clean up the range?

Votes: 75 45.5%

• Total voters

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I was at the range the other day shooting in one of the pits and at the end I was getting ready to pick up my brass. That's when I really noticed how much brass was actually on the ground. Had to be thousands of pieces scattered all over the place. 22lr seemed to be the most prevalent, but there were cases of all sizes. Got me wondering what kind of etiquette everyone has when shooting at the range. I picked up what I considered to be the amount I shot, as I wasn't going to be the pit brass cleaner as that could take all day.

Where do you stand?

Dont most ranges require you to clean up after yourself? I know mine do, and if I get there and its a mess I take a pic, so if they question why I left a mess(as my name would be last in sign in book) I can show the pic and state I clean up after myself not others. Been having that issue at 1 of the places I go to, guys fill up the buckets with shotgun shells and old targets, but never clean out the buckets.

Our range rules require we pick up all brass that falls behind the line when we are done shooting. For the most part everyone does. The range stays very clean.

I always pick up mine because I reload.

When the Barnstable town range was open, there wasn't much policing of brass. Some people picked up their own stuff and/or scavenged but there was steel case ammo everywhere on the rifle range, and shot shells all over the shotgun range.

I'm at a private club now, and it is pretty much spotless, which makes finding your own brass pretty easy. There is a concrete pad, broom, dust pan, trash barrel, and brass barrel at every firing line.

I make sure the range is even cleaner than it was when I arrived.
That's what I try to do also. My club requires you to clean up after yourself because yo Momma don't live or work there. All the tools are there to clean up after yourself but I guess some people are used to someone cleaning up after them or are above doing simple manual labor.

I police up my brass. If other peoples' brass finds its way into the dustpan at the same time, I dump that too. I'm certainly not going to make an effort to find and clean up other peoples' messes; the club has an annual work party for such things, and it counts against dues. So why should any member do it for free?

To be fair, most people at my club aren't slobs.

I pick up mine at a minimum, then if I have time I pick up a little extra. I always try to leave it a little tidier than it was when I got there.

#5 - I police my own brass to put in teh bucket and any ancillary brass that is in the GENERAL area of where I was shooting. But I'm not sweeping the whole range to be a good doo-bee. Usually it's a ton of sprayed-around .22 brass.

That's what I try to do also. My club requires you to clean up after yourself because yo Momma don't live or work there. All the tools are there to clean up after yourself but I guess some people are used to someone cleaning up after them or are above doing simple manual labor.
This. I sweep my area, and police my brass, if no one is there I might clean the pad if someone has left stuff, if I have time. I don't rake the bare ground in front of the stations of stuff that's not mine.

I reload and keep whatever is pertinent to that, mine or what ever I've swept that was left, but what I'm not reloading goes into the brass recycle bin, which is scrapped and used to fund our youth programs.

Previously the pistol range didn't have a pad and I just cleaned up what i could rake, as mostly unless its .45 brass, Im not really keeping it. I don't reload 9mm because its 10 a box now and I don't shoot all that much of it.

Indoors, sweep up mine plus others' brass as much as I can within reason (don't interfere with folks who are on the line shooting).

Outdoors, depends. If not a lot of trouble, will pick up others' mess. But I would not likely spend my time picking up scattered .22LR left by some jerk who was not taught to pick up after him/herself.

Both clubs I go require members to clean brass behind the yellow line. I spot clean my area as I shoot - finish a box of 50 and give a quick sweep and dump in the bin. I don’t examine brass so any at my feet I will sweep, but I will never clean another persons area.

Club has a sign in the men’s restroom that says ‘take a moment to clean, this is your club’. I always take an extra minute to wipe the counter. Most days I leave it better than how I find it.

I clean up after myself the same as anywhere else I might go. Parks/outdoor lunch, fishing, hiking, whatever.

I remember years back shooting at Hanson and the fudds that just sat in the clubhouse all day sneering at you for using the bathroom were like f***ing seagulls in a McDonald’s parking lot fighting over brass on the ground. No shame.

I pick up everything and keep the calibers I shot within a reasonable +/-
If there's a couple of cases on the ground when I get there I'll keep them
If it's a pile they go in the recycle bin.

In the future I need to ask about buying brass at whatever the club gets for it plus enough to make it worth it.

I shoot and sweep up brass around me without getting in other shooters way. Put it in the appropriate bucket. While shooting on the trap field, I place my shells in my pouch and take home, sometimes I go dumpster diving to get 20 ga hulls if there are any.

Leave it cleaner when I arrived. If the range is empty I’ll do a sweep of the benches if it’s a mess. If it’s busy, I’ll do my area and nearby without getting in anyone else’s way.

Indoors, I leave the range as spotless as reasonably possible.

Outdoors, I strive to exclusively shoot steel cased and I have a magnet sweep. I generally clean more than just my piles, but don’t sweep the entire range for steel when I’m on a 100yrd range for example.

Back
Top Bottom