What's your take on Veteran's plates?

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
I never wanted Veteran's plates because I never got shot at. But a buddy maintains that since the proceeds go to the Chelsea and Holyoke Soldier's Homes, you should support them. Presumably similar causes are supported in other states.

What's your take? Currently I make most of my donations to the NE Shelter for Homeless Veterans so this would be additional.

Last edited:
Its not about if you got shot at or not, but that you volunteered and served honorably. If you are a veteran, get the plates. I think its important for people to see how many of us there are. I have them on my truck and I never even left the country despite 2 years of active duty after 9/11. Nobody asked me where or in what capacity I wanted to serve. They told me "Go here, do this and STFU." so I did.

as far as I am concerned the Vets should get their car registrations for free, and the state should adequately fund the Soldiers Homes.

Currently I make most of my donations to the NE Shelter for Homeless Veterans so this would be additional.

+1. 44 yrs. ago I did get shot at. I consider all honorable vets my brothers, regardless of branch or when/where you served. Be proud of your service and get the plates if you want.

As the quote goes....."A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"

You served, you earned the plates. Get them if you want.

I don't have them but instead have an early set of the US plate instead, and as Dave pointed out, I can and do make regular donations to veteran organizations.

If you're not comfortable with them don't take them. Some of them list your campaigns under the service seal if it makes you feel any better.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

This is the argument my buddy makes. That's what is making me think it over. 9% of the population are veterans.

I served during the first desert storm. My unit was not deployed but identified as a "replacement division" in case of casualties. We were light infantry and it was starting as heavy armor.

The Battalion Commander was pulling people from his group to round out other divisions already there (before the balloon went up).

I was 27. My wife was 6 months pregnant with our first son. Although it became a quick battle, We had no idea of how bad this was going to be at the time. lot's of media reports of the "fierceness of the Republican Guard" which never came to pass.

Thoughts of never seeing or holding my son one time or him never seeing his father crossed my mind.

I told the battalion commander, I was not in a position to volunteer but before he sent a non volunteer.................... send me.

The call never came. I didn't go to the sandbox. Did this make me less of a veteran? I don't think so. I don't have the NH veteran plates.
If I wanted them, i would get them however.

Get your plates if you want them. wear them with pride.

I never served, that being said: if you were willing to serve or drafted weather you saw combat or not is irrelevant in my eyes. You could have been called to combat at any time and for that you deserve the plates and any other thing you want in my eyes.

I had vet plates on my car. The only reason I don't have them on my truck is because the dealership took care of the plates and registration. I like them, and will put them on my truck at some point.

I also don't have Navy/vet/I SERVED stickers all over my vehicles, I will leave that to the guys that actually BTDT and want everyone to know about it. I think the plates are a nice suttle way to show that there are that many vets out there, like others have already stated.

I just put the plates on my car about a month ago. I used to keep my service time pretty quiet, but it's part of who I am and I'm proud of it, and this is a nice, unobtrusive way to show that pride. Plus, I think people today want to know who we are, so why not tell them?

AC

I've got them on all my vehicles. I think they're a great way of showing pride in your service. It's also kind of nice to see them on the road and pull into a parking lot full of them... and in the back of my mind I hope it gets me some leeway with the fuzz, but who knows.

i know for a fact mine have saved me from the fuzz a few times, worth their cost right there.....
they used to be the regular registration rate, but.... ye gods... 10-12 years ago they decided to make 'em the vanity plate price....

IIRC purple heart plates you only pay for once then they're free....
not sure about bronze/silver star plates.....

i show more courtesy to others with vet plates, and especially PH, SS and POW, DAV..... bronze star too... but they practically hand those things out ;)
get the plates, i'll curse/flip you off less for driving like an idiot ;)

ETA: once it makes economic sense, my wife's car is going in my name and it's getting vet plates too.....

Unless you were a Reservist like me. The military does not count basic and AIT as active duty and therefore i didint have 180 consecutive days to qualify me as a veteran. I, myself, would not call myself a veteran. I would however, if the Bosnia mission wasnt cancelled 2 weeks out. I wish it wasnt.

As the quote goes....."A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"

You served, you earned the plates. Get them if you want.

i know for a fact mine have saved me from the fuzz a few times, worth their cost right there.....

I had a similar experience. Went with the wife to Manchester for a day and walked around. When I came back a few hours later, every car on my side of the street had been ticketed but mine. Parking for more than 2 hours or some BS. I know the car in front of me had not been there when I pulled in also. Not the reason I got the plates, but I'm not complaining.

I have no issue with them at all. If you qualify and want them go for it. Now having said that, Sports team plates are totally ghey. :p

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Unless you were a Reservist like me. The military does not count basic and AIT as active duty and therefore i didint have 180 consecutive days to qualify me as a veteran. I, myself, would not call myself a veteran. I would however, if the Bosnia mission wasnt cancelled 2 weeks out. I wish it wasnt.

my unit was mobilized for Bosnia back in '97.... that sucked.... though.... in retrospect it was probably a helluva lot better than the desert....
at least we could look at the women.... mmmmm eastern european/russian women......

and if i hadn't been deployed it probably would've taken me longer to find out my (at the time) fiancee was a lying cheating whore.....

Well, seems like a good idea and went to get a copy of my DD214. Then I noticed that it did not have the nature of my discharge on it. Turns out there is a "long" and "short" form DD214 and I only ever received the short form - only goes to block 22. No one has ever questioned the form I had. I've sent away for the full form.

Learned also that there is a DD215 to correct errors. Not that it matters to anyone but mine shows I qualified with a ".38 Cal Pistol" when it was in fact a decrepit M1911A1.

I think that only if you have deployed, in a combat effort, regarless if you are Infantry, or another respective combat arms, or maybe even a Fueler, You have gone to a theater in which all of the collective efforts are a huge part of keeping everyone safe and at an operational level. If you have deployed, you should show your pride for serving your country and get a "Veteran Plate." Besides it will help if you happen to be speeding [smile]

as far as I am concerned the Vets should get their car registrations for free, and the state should adequately fund the Soldiers Homes.

Where would the state get the money to adequately fund them? Maybe the state should give them free cars along with that registration. Maybe non vets should have a vet tax on their car registrations so they can pay for new cars for vets. We can also have a vet tax on our houses to pay for houses for vets. Verizon/ATT/Sprint could charge a vet tax so vets get free cell phones, too.

Where would the state get the money to adequately fund them? Maybe the state should give them free cars along with that registration. Maybe non vets should have a vet tax on their car registrations so they can pay for new cars for vets. We can also have a vet tax on our houses to pay for houses for vets. Verizon/ATT/Sprint could charge a vet tax so vets get free cell phones, too.

I could use a free TV also. Comcast could charge a vet fee. 50" LED min. would do.

Back
Top Bottom