When cops talk about guns pay no attention

I heard a lawyer yesterday make a foolish comment about firearms. I guess we should not listen to Scrivener or CrossX any more.....[rolleyes]

I heard a lawyer yesterday make a foolish comment about firearms. I guess we should not listen to Scrivener or CrossX any more.....[rolleyes]

You really shouldn't listen to anyone unless you know their background. Even on here you find people you think should be an authority, yet realize they don't know what the heck they are talking about.

I’ve watched some LEOs re-qualify several times before they could pass what appeared a pretty simple shooting test. I’ve seen other LEOs move quickly and gracefully through difficult stages making fast and accurate shots on the move, using cover and in low light. There are some really, really good LEO shooters.

I think, having not gone through the training myself, that graduating from a “Police Academy” means that you’ve qualified only at a very basic level of safe gun handling and shooting skills. If the skills are not practiced then they will not improve and will decline.

In the past it was not uncommon for a young LEO or two to come out to play at an outlaw, IDPA or USPSA match and get their heads handed to them by all but the least competent shooters. It’s not an ego builder to have “Joe Old Fat Guy” kick their butt, it was also not uncommon not to see these kids again.

I don’t know the value of IDPA or USPSA to LEOs. On one hand I think it would certainly help improve their gun safety and gun handling skills while greatly improving theirs shooting abilities, but I wonder what “bad habits” it imparts to the LEO shooter?

Respectfully,

jkelly

In the past it was not uncommon for a young LEO or two to come out to play at an outlaw, IDPA or USPSA match and get their heads handed to them by all but the least competent shooters.

They can't expect to walk off with the gold first time out unless they are experienced at the game. If they are going with any other idea other than to get some good experience in a total different type of shooting than a standard qualification course and have some fun, they shouldn't bother. Losing isn't the issue. Having a good time and being treated with respect by the other more experienced people is the key.

I spent a few years assisting my friend teaching scuba off the NJ coast. Many times the training took place on a dive boat where we also were mates and instructor/divemaster. New divers would come on board and for the most part treated well. But at times the older guys treated them like sh*t simply because they were new at it. More often than not, the old guys were not the best divers by a long shot. But a bad experience or being treated like an idiot does not do much to keep people in the sport be it diving of shooting sports.

Having a good time and being treated with respect by the other more experienced people is the key.---rscalzo
I find that almost all shooters treat new shooters well, it's just part of the culture. It's also part of culture to want to shoot better then a LEO.

I've wondered what went though the minds of young LEOs driving home, after having been smoked by most of the field. I've also wondered if they might feel differently, then they had in the past, when handling a traffic stop of a truck with a "rod and bottle" sticker.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Last edited:
Here's the thing...
Some cops are gun guys and some aren't. The ones that are gun guys tend to be good shooters, and they are more likely to be like Frosty's chief in that they also support our rights to defend ourselves.

Like Len said, I think that many people tend to paint all LEOs with a broad brush. They're not all the same.

+1
Believe it or not, I have received some very good advice from LEOs in the past years. There are some Police Officers who eventually are promoted to Chief Of Police, and then there is the Politician wearing a Chief Of Police uniform. Judgement should be made on a individual basis.

I find that almost all shooters treat new shooters well, it's just part of the culture. It's also part of culture to want to shoot better then a LEO.

I have seen the exceptions many times John. I have attended matches and was treated like a second class citizen until they realized I was there to shoot not play politics. I am not the best shooter on the range, but I am not the least experienced either. I expect to be treated as a guest until such time as I do not act with the proper decorum.
I've wondered what went though the minds of young LEOs driving home, after having been smoked by most of the field. I've also wondered if they might feel differently, then they had in the past, when handling a traffic stop of a truck with a "rod and bottle" sticker.

Respectfully,

jkelly

As has been stated, many do not feel the need and many do not have the interest. I trained LE for several years and saw those that looked at a firearm as a necessary evil and those that enjoyed the range time. You see it in every profession.

Remember, it is just a job.

Last edited:
I have seen the exceptions many times John. I have attended matches and was treated like a second class citizen until they realized I was there to shoot not play politics. I am not the best shooter on the range, but I am not the least experienced either. I expect to be treated as a guest until such time as I do not act with the proper decorum.

As has been stated, many do not feel the need and many do not have the interest. I trained LE for several years and saw those that looked at a firearm as a necessary evil and those that enjoyed the range time. You see it in every profession.

Remember, it is just a job.

+1 RGS...

I have both experienced and seen the type of behavior you described in the first paragraph in real time..

Look how we frequently chew up newbies on this forum, frequently chiding them for not doing their "resarch" before asking a newbie question. We esentially have a cyber gun club here, now take that attitude and apply it to real time. Regretfully that attitude exists.

You are also spot on with regard to the second paragraph.

Mark L.

Last edited:
I have seen the exceptions many times John. I have attended matches and was treated like a second class citizen until they realized I was there to shoot not play politics. I am not the best shooter on the range, but I am not the least experienced either. I expect to be treated as a guest until such time as I do not act with the proper decorum.---RGS

Gary, I started to write that I’ve never experienced that, but remembered that at this mornings match I was speaking, with a couple of LEO trainers and another shooter, about an RO/SO that could be very hard on selected new people. So I guess it’s not that uncommon.

But my reference of LEOs who shoot once, tank and don’t return (to “rscalzo” ) didn’t involve any ill treatment that I know of.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Back
Top Bottom