When do you shoot trap?

As the title says, when do you shoot and how much.

I tend to shoot 2 days a week simply because i can't make up my mind which day i like better, well also because I just love it. I shoot Wednesdays 12 noon and Sundays at 10am

if the weather isn't great IE rain or snow i tend to skip it and if I'm short on cash i skip it.

At my club it is only $2.50 (for members - $3.50 for non members) a string/round but it's the fee, WITH the added cost of shells. most of the time i have it but times are tough, so sometimes i don't.

The following is given in case someone who has never shot trap is interested and would like to know the general cost of shooting it:

I usually shoot 2 or 3 strings when i go. so the cost of the string ($2.50 ea) + shells ($6+ a string) + what we call the black bird pool ($1 a string with a chance to win the pot) X 2 strings = $19 depending on shells, 3 rounds = $28.50. X 2 if i go both days.

The black bird is a clay that is a different color than the rest. most places use orange clays, a black bird could be blue, white etc. 1 black bird a round, if 2 come out only the 1st counts. if the black bird is hit, the shooter gets the pot. the pot is $1 x the number of shooters in that round. If the bird is missed, the pot go into a fund for kids to shoot free of charge.

I tend to buy shells in bunches of 4 or 5 - 100 round boxes at a time so it is possible that it can last me 5 weeks. that way i don't feel the pinch every week, it would just be what amounts to $3.50 a round.

However i just got a reloader and hope to start reloading VERY shortly.

I tend to shoot 8-10 rounds per week. $3 per round and using Wally -World Federals bulk packs. Totally addicting, but the wife doesn't mind.

Best deal for newbie shooters is Walmart 4 box valuepacks for around 22 bucks. Federal and winchester. Dicks remington gun clubs with the mail in rebate by the case is 2nd.

Best deal for newbie shooters is Walmart 4 box valuepacks for around 22 bucks. Federal and winchester. Dicks remington gun clubs with the mail in rebate by the case is 2nd.

New shootrs should watch out for the "value-priced" ammo...some is inexpensive because there's only 20 rounds in a box - you need 25 for a round of trap!

Good note Mr Happy. The 20shel box are the remington "game load" the 25 rounders are the remington Gun Clubs. I dont recall any other manufactures boxing them like that ???

the truly sick part is that the little monster beat me in every event where we both shot...except one ( I had a good 'caps event). Of course, when he can go 99/100 in singles.....[laugh]

A lot of shooting? Yes.....that's why I say, "Donations accepted"[smile]

I was reading about the kids trap shooting in the GOAL mag. man, i can only dream of doing 190+ out of 200. but i love trying.

Actually, we repainted the trap house, and it causes me a bit of difficulty in my introductory teaching. I'd say to a new shooter, "See those 'woodpecker marks'? None of those were casued by people taking their time...." Now I don't have that 'teaching aid'! [laugh]

A new shooter can feel "pressured" to keep up the tempo, when they're not ready, experience-wise. Better they break tempo, and save the paint.

Actually, we repainted the trap house, and it causes me a bit of difficulty in my introductory teaching. I'd say to a new shooter, "See those 'woodpecker marks'? None of those were casued by people taking their time...." Now I don't have that 'teaching aid'! [laugh]

A new shooter can feel "pressured" to keep up the tempo, when they're not ready, experience-wise. Better they break tempo, and save the paint.

It's one thing for someone new but for an experienced shooter it's best to get a good tempo going with the squad.

It's one thing for someone new but for an experienced shooter it's best to get a good tempo going with the squad.

Agreed.

we're fortunate to have 3 fields, so that a new shooter can get used to the game away from the "real" action.

When the "real" trap shoters are out, we generally try to keep beginners on another squad, but, after the Mass and NH state shoots, I can personally vouch for the fact that many shooters will shoot when they're good and ready, tempo be damned. And, it's understandable as each person is shooting for their score, and no one else's. Selfish? Perhaps....but there is $ involved! [laugh]

We had a guy shoot the back of the house about a week and a half ago...we all joked about it so he wouldn't feel too bad. I usually shoot Wed night or Sunday daytime. I like shooting under the lights much better than daytime.

support the new shooters, get them on the line!!!!!!! If you count on rhythm or tempo to shoot well then as mister happy stated do not shoot a registered event. You just need to shoot with out undue delay. The 20g night shoot was pushed until july 21 but a few shooters showed up. A newbie was there to try out trap and shoot the 20g event. I handed him my 20g and a box of shells. He was a bit slow on the line but followed the rules and handled the gun safely. That's all that counts. He will be back next week.

i shoot when i have money, which is few and far in between :D

and when that occurs, its sunday mornings.

Back
Top Bottom