When is a Bayo lug no longer a bayo lug?

I am building an AR and I have a standard A2 front sight base with the bayonet lug. I ground off the ears on the front and the sides. I also rounded off the corners of the bottom of the lug. I do not have a bayonet to test it, but I do not believe that the lug will accept a bayonet. As I have altered the bayo lug so that it can not perform its intended purpose, is it now not a bayo lug, but a faux bayo lug, and therefore not in violation of the MA AWB?

Any thoughts, comments, and/or concerns would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I always chop the whole thing off. Just looks neater IMHO.

Are you good to go by just grinding flat the small two ears on just the front sides?

Legally speaking? Nobody knows.

Practically speaking, why leave a useless nub of metal?

Some Saiga rifles were imported with lugs that had the ears ground flat and the bottom slightly rounded. They serve as cleaning rod holders.

I say if it's good enough to clear importation standards as a hunting rifle it shouldn't count as a functioning bayonet lug.

If the lug no longer does the job of locking the bayonet in place,then it's no longer a lug.It sucks when you want to keep that military look on the rifle,and trying to be legal at the same time.

I don't see the point of destroying the bayonet lug and yet not removing it. It's one thing if you add some silver solder to the ears to render them ​reversibly inoperable, but leaving the ruined nub on there will not benefit you. Just remove it and save yourself any potential headaches.

I don't see the point of destroying the bayonet lug and yet not removing it. It's one thing if you add some silver solder to the ears to render them ​reversibly inoperable, but leaving the ruined nub on there will not benefit you. Just remove it and save yourself any potential headaches.

Because it performs more than one function on an AK, it also holds the cleaning rod in place.

OP was referring to an AR, hence the directness of my reply.

I will admit that I did not know that about an AK. The only AK variant I am familiar with is the Galil, which does not have any secondary uses for the bayonet lug (at least none I am aware of).

Some Saiga rifles were imported with lugs that had the ears ground flat and the bottom slightly rounded. They serve as cleaning rod holders.

I say if it's good enough to clear importation standards as a hunting rifle it shouldn't count as a functioning bayonet lug.

SKS Ray,
Do you have a pick of that Saiga by any chance?

Back
Top Bottom