Where has all the powder gone...

I'm sensing a new round of hoarding. Bullets that were traditionally available online all last year are a lot tougher to find. Powders don't last as long on the shelf. Primers are easy to find though. Now.

I wonder if all those $500-1000 reloading setups I saw flying out the door last summer are finally being used...

I'm hoarding! No shame. Its just a matter of time before some crazy kid goes on a spree again. I set a aside a certain amount of money and spend it on whatever I can find every week....I refuse to suffer thru another shortage like I did last year!

I'm sensing a new round of hoarding. Bullets that were traditionally available online all last year are a lot tougher to find. Powders don't last as long on the shelf. Primers are easy to find though. Now.

I wonder if all those $500-1000 reloading setups I saw flying out the door last summer are finally being used...

Primers was the other thing I loaded up on out west. Buying in 5k lots got me to $22 per 1000. Seing them for $30/k was a good price, and no one had 5k to sell you. Some places were trying to get over $40/k when I was looking in November, was just stupid.

Thankfully the boolits I like to shoot are still easy and inexpensive to get. I should probably order more though, I think i'm down to my last 1000.

Being a new reloader, it's safe to say that I need MOAR components!! I've now become a compulsive powder and primer buyer [thinking]. I always have gunbot running in my office, and if a powder comes up that I think I can use, I'll get it if it's a fair price, then I'll pack as many primers as they'll let me before charging more shipping/hazmat. There have been a couple of vendors who have consistently gotten stock in, so I've amassed a pretty good little stock pile of bits for what I shoot. Now I just need time to do it!

Sent from my phone....which isn't really a phone anymore, it's a computer on my pocket

Update...
Went to Shooters and Riley's last Weekend. Looking for H322, R15 and W748. Shooters had nothing. At Rileys the guy behind the counter saw me looking over their powder stock and he simply said, "No, no and... no." He was right about the R15, and W748, but they actually did have H322, so I scooped some. Also grabbed some IMR 4064, as it seems a good idea to have a flexible medium burn powder around to use in place of what isn't around. A long way to go yet. And still no good rimfire ammo for less than pirate prices

Last edited:
Was in Riley's Monday, cupboard pretty bare. Bought some WST for handgun plinker loads. Shooters had a lot more powder, but not sure what kinds. I know they had RL-17 which is a favorite of mine for 270/30-06/243. It's very similar to H4350.

Scored some IMR 4350 at North Shore, in Middleton, MA. Their lockers seem well stocked for the stuff that shotgun reloaders like, (red dot, blue dot, etc), but again no W748, R15. I think I saw plenty of Varget and R10x, R17 though.

Scored some IMR 4350 at North Shore, in Middleton, MA. Their lockers seem well stocked for the stuff that shotgun reloaders like, (red dot, blue dot, etc), but again no W748, R15. I think I saw plenty of Varget and R10x, R17 though.

Wow! I just got back from there myself after seeing your post and they are stocked with rifle powders! I got a couple of jugs of H4985 and they also had IMR 4350 as mentioned above, H4831, VARGET, I think he said they also had IMR 4895 but I got the Hodgdon. Looked like many others in the lockers as well. Thanks for the tip!

Wow! I just got back from there myself after seeing your post and they are stocked with rifle powders! I got a couple of jugs of H4985 and they also had IMR 4350 as mentioned above, H4831, VARGET, I think he said they also had IMR 4895 but I got the Hodgdon. Looked like many others in the lockers as well. Thanks for the tip!

Did they gouge you on prices? Charging $32/lb last time I was there...

Did they gouge you on prices? Charging $32/lb last time I was there...

H4985 and Varget were $29.95.

Hard to complain about the price though considering you can't find it (4895) anywhere else at any price. Even if it was a few bucks less up in hooksett, you'd burn more in gas getting there and back and they would only sell you 1 jug at rileys.

Any body have connections to the folks down under. Are the aussies having trouble getting varget also?

Any body have connections to the folks down under. Are the aussies having trouble getting varget also?

Too bad you don't live along the north shore since north shore firearms had varget last weekend I heard. I might be heading down your way this weekend to pick up my mosin from Fred/50 BMG who's helping me with my archangel project. You live near Walpole? I could try and find some varget at north shore firearms and bring it down with me to sell to ya. I don't know if they still have it in stock though.

Too bad you don't live along the north shore since north shore firearms had varget last weekend I heard. I might be heading down your way this weekend to pick up my mosin from Fred/50 BMG who's helping me with my archangel project. You live near Walpole? I could try and find some varget at north shore firearms and bring it down with me to sell to ya. I don't know if they still have it in stock though.

Thank you for the offer. I'm a little more south east from Fred. Plymouth area.
I have varget on backorder. They still say they will honor the 2012 price. I have enough to get me through the 4 to 6 matches I will get to this year. I have other powders to get me by. VARGET has just worked well in all my milsurps. Clean also.
Testing for the 303 loads soon.

I've only been reloading for a few months and had no preferences going in so I just made a list of all the powders listed for 9mm in the 49th and a small Hodgden book.
I've found 231, TiteGroup, Bullseye as well Clays and AutoComp. Hot damm if they all don't work. Still buying it if I see it and grabbing primers as well. It's been easy to find bullets on line so I'm doing Ok and feeling good about it. If only I wasn't shooting the finished rounds at a frightening rate....

Outback Arms in Plympton had one 8 lb. jug of Varget last Sunday for $216 or $218.

Thank you, that's been there for some time. I just cant pay that when eventually I sill receive mine for much less. Even with shipping and hazmat.

If you're travelling north to Shooters or Rileys, stop at Al's in Derry. I went there on a recommendation the other day and he had what looked like a huge variety of powder - I picked up Hodgdon Longshot at $23.50/lb. Not the best I've seen, but still better than North Shore at $29/lb. Everyone I've talked to says Al's seems to have components when no one else does. I've only been the once, so I couldn't swear one way or another.

If you're travelling north to Shooters or Rileys, stop at Al's in Derry.
I wish your post was one day earlier. I went up north for the first time yesterday and visited Shooters and Riley's...they are both pretty bare if you're reloading anything except shotgun. Roy at Riley's was great; he gave me a lot of good info and even found me 1lb of Accurate #2 for $20.95. As a pre-reloading newbie, I'm just in the information and supplies gathering stage. I'll take Finnerty's course on Mar. 18 and hope to get up and running shortly there after.

If you're travelling north to Shooters or Rileys, stop at Al's in Derry. I went there on a recommendation the other day and he had what looked like a huge variety of powder - I picked up Hodgdon Longshot at $23.50/lb. Not the best I've seen, but still better than North Shore at $29/lb. Everyone I've talked to says Al's seems to have components when no one else does. I've only been the once, so I couldn't swear one way or another.

I wish your post was one day earlier. I went up north for the first time yesterday and visited Shooters and Riley's...they are both pretty bare if you're reloading anything except shotgun. Roy at Riley's was great; he gave me a lot of good info and even found me 1lb of Accurate #2 for $20.95. As a pre-reloading newbie, I'm just in the information and supplies gathering stage. I'll take Finnerty's course on Mar. 18 and hope to get up and running shortly there after.

Did either of you think to stop at Acme, Exit 5 off Rt.93, in Londonderry? Fridays we're open until 7pm. We have powder and primers. We also have a coin machine so you may turn your loose change into reloading supplies, ammo, guns, etc. [thumbsup]

Did either of you think to stop at Acme, Exit 5 off Rt.93, in Londonderry? Fridays we're open until 7pm. We have powder and primers. We also have a coin machine so you may turn your loose change into reloading supplies, ammo, guns, etc. [thumbsup]

Coin machine........ brilliant!

Back
Top Bottom