Where has all the powder gone...

Did either of you think to stop at Acme, Exit 5 off Rt.93, in Londonderry? Fridays we're open until 7pm. We have powder and primers. We also have a coin machine so you may turn your loose change into reloading supplies, ammo, guns, etc. [thumbsup]

If I recall correctly, you didn't want my business last time I offered it to you.

If you're travelling north to Shooters or Rileys, stop at Al's in Derry. I went there on a recommendation the other day and he had what looked like a huge variety of powder - I picked up Hodgdon Longshot at $23.50/lb. Not the best I've seen, but still better than North Shore at $29/lb. Everyone I've talked to says Al's seems to have components when no one else does. I've only been the once, so I couldn't swear one way or another.

That's what I always tell people too. That powder room at Al's is amazing! There were so many different ones I was having a hard time remembering which I was looking for since I didn't expect to find any lol. He usually had plenty of primers too. And I don't think he does any limits like riley's stupid one container rule.

Well, I offered you exactly what you were charging for a few of a specific item via email, but you didn't want my business when you found out I was That Guy from NES. I'd be happy to post the email exchange if you don't remember the specifics.

As someone who spends thousands a year on shooting sports, I generally don't feel I need to court a business - it's actually the other way around.

Well, I offered you exactly what you were charging for a few of a specific item via email, but you didn't want my business when you found out I was That Guy from NES. I'd be happy to post the email exchange if you don't remember the specifics.

As someone who spends thousands a year on shooting sports, I generally don't feel I need to court a business - it's actually the other way around.

last time i checked business owners reserved the right to serve or to not serve whomever they please.

[video=youtube_share;j2zlPNGuPbw]http://youtu.be/j2zlPNGuPbw[/video]

Am I complaining that Acme refused to sell me something? Not at all. Adam came out and asked if I had thought to stop at his new store in NH and I simply told him why I didn't. Just like he has the right to refuse service, I have the right to refuse to do business with him later. Pretty simple.

And I never flamed him in public thread regarding his refusal to sell me a few NES stickers (I had planned to use them in a Karma and told him so) - he wants to have shitty business practices, that's his own doing. But it rubbed me the wrong way when he actually called me out in this thread for not stopping at his store, so I mentioned it.

I went around checking web sites last night. I seen a few things that where not there several months ago.
1. Instead of back ordered now reads "currently not available from manufacture" !
2. Received a email . Powder is slowly coming in but the amount is well below the promised quantities.
We will be receiving several pounds every few weeks VS several hundred pounds. Sorry for the bad news and we will continue to honor any outstanding orders placed before feb 1st 2013

Was at Hunters Trading Post in Weymouth this afternoon... No Varget, which I'd seen there before, but they seem to be increasing their powder inventory...
Prices are approximate and per pound - I didn't feel like taking the time to count pennies.

700-X $25
IMR 4895 $35
Hogden 4895 $36
IMR 4320 $35
IMR 8208 $33
Retumbo $32
Accurate 4350 $33
Ramshot Competition - $25

They generally had two to six 1lb jugs of those powders listed above.
They also had Triple-Seven and some other blackpowder and blackpowder alternatives... and I saw Alliant 17 but didn't note the price.

I picked up 2 lbs. of Lil Gun at Patriot @ $25.95 lb. I also grabbed 1 lb. of Varget at Northshore, @ $29.95 lb.

Was at Hunters Trading Post in Weymouth this afternoon... No Varget, which I'd seen there before, but they seem to be increasing their powder inventory...
Prices are approximate and per pound - I didn't feel like taking the time to count pennies.

700-X $25
IMR 4895 $35
Hogden 4895 $36
IMR 4320 $35
IMR 8208 $33
Retumbo $32
Accurate 4350 $33
Ramshot Competition - $25

They generally had two to six 1lb jugs of those powders listed above.
They also had Triple-Seven and some other blackpowder and blackpowder alternatives... and I saw Alliant 17 but didn't note the price.

Thanks for the info, Don has pretty much convinced me not to spend money with him. I do stop in here and there to check out the old gun rack. Some day he will have something I really want and price wont be so much of a issue. Although the used rack has not changed much in 20 yrs.
Those powder prices are to high for me to make the trip over. Someday a LGS will break into the reloading stuff big time ? I can dream right.

Thanks for the info, Don has pretty much convinced me not to spend money with him. I do stop in here and there to check out the old gun rack. Some day he will have something I really want and price wont be so much of a issue. Although the used rack has not changed much in 20 yrs.
Those powder prices are to high for me to make the trip over. Someday a LGS will break into the reloading stuff big time ? I can dream right.

Isn't the issue with MA law where the LGS is limited to the amount of powder they can have on site, thus they can't do a bulk order.

My guess is we can order about as much as they do if we ship it to a Friend in NH or Maine and thus get the same type of pricing.

I would love to be able to walk into a store and be able to pickup 8lb jugs of W231 or Clays etc. But when with a special permit they are limited to 100lbs they would have to be 100% out before accepting an order of 100lbs. For them to become a high volume supplier of powder things will have to change.

If you look at what KTP has in stock with their shelves just about dry they are over the max permitted by the MA fire laws.

It's not hard to see why stores in NH and Maine can do better than what's being done in MA. The stores in MA arms are tied.

The problem is powder isn't a fast mover in most smaller shops, and the whole point of reloading (for a lot of us) is to save crap tons of money... so its harder to get away with a 30% markup on a pound of powder or a box of primers. It's relatively easy to see why a lot of shops don't even bother.

-Mike

If shops did it right they could do several big orders a year.
Seriously I have done several group buys and out of state runs each run around 1500-1800$ average 3 times a year for past 4 years.
The 5 local shops around me where not interested. I even had all the contact info and orders preset all was needed was a copy of ffl to ship? also agreement on fee for receiving ammo.....flat out not interested? So 10k worth of business went somewhere else.

The problem is powder isn't a fast mover in most smaller shops, and the whole point of reloading (for a lot of us) is to save crap tons of money... so its harder to get away with a 30% markup on a pound of powder or a box of primers. It's relatively easy to see why a lot of shops don't even bother.

-Mike

The shortage is a relatively recent development. Prior to the shortage, powder was readily available on-line for the same price the dealers paid (I've seen dealers cost and it was about 2% less that I could buy for without using any connections). Reloaders were highly reluctant to pay 30% margin when they could by at wholesale. Plus, there are numerous powders, so it was not practical, or profitable, to stock powder for retail sale.

- - - Updated - - -

If shops did it right they could do several big orders a year.
Seriously I have done several group buys and out of state runs each run around 1500-1800$ average 3 times a year for past 4 years.
The 5 local shops around me where not interested. I even had all the contact info and orders preset all was needed was a copy of ffl to ship? also agreement on fee for receiving ammo.....flat out not interested? So 10k worth of business went somewhere else.
What kind of a fee were you offering? If you were not offering on the order of $3000 to receive the merchandise, they did not really pass on "$10K worth of business".

The shortage is a relatively recent development. Prior to the shortage, powder was readily available on-line for the same price the dealers paid (I've seen dealers cost and it was about 2% less that I could buy for without using any connections). Reloaders were highly reluctant to pay 30% margin when they could by at wholesale. Plus, there are numerous powders, so it was not practical, or profitable, to stock powder for retail sale.

- - - Updated - - -

What kind of a fee were you offering? If you were not offering on the order of $3000 to receive the merchandise, they did not really pass on "$10K worth of business".

They would not even entertain the idea.
Went something like this.
Enter gun shop ask about availability of what I need. General response was I don't carry that, can you get it? Reply generally was no or would look up and say no.
Then I would say "if I had a place lined up and there's no cost out of pocket for you what would you charge to receive a shipment" reply was not interested.
That's all....... I'm just saying there has to be a solution to this

Enter gun shop ask about availability of what I need. General response was I don't carry that, can you get it? Reply generally was no or would look up and say no.
Then I would say "if I had a place lined up and there's no cost out of pocket for you what would you charge to receive a shipment" reply was not interested.
I can't even find a place to ship powder - finding an FFL to receive it would be the least of my problems.

As to your question - he was probably saying "I operate on a margin, not a service charge basis". Try asking an used auto dealer how much they will charge to get you a car from Adessa when you pay the Adessa price plus a service charge. I'll bet you'll get the same lack of interest.

I can't even find a place to ship powder - finding an FFL to receive it would be the least of my problems.

As to your question - he was probably saying "I operate on a margin, not a service charge basis". Try asking an used auto dealer how much they will charge to get you a car from Adessa when you pay the Adessa price plus a service charge. I'll bet you'll get the same lack of interest.
Used cars I guess maybe different. Several used car guys I know will run you through for 500$ you of course are going to pay all fees associated with sale plus the big " your on your own" once the sale is made. No warrenty no returns.
So in a nut shell FFLs do not buy from a wholesale distributor? They just buy from retail online vendors?
The whole thing just sucks (aside from lack of inventory) I cant get what I want and dealers cant make money....sucks all around.
More trips to plan......

The issue is also if they receive an order with 100+ pounds, they can get shutdown and fined. With the best cert from our local fire department we can each have 48lbs of powder, a MA based shop will be lucky to be allowed to have 100lbs (the max cert that can be issued for commercial powder storage in MA) on site. It doesn't make sense for them to risk it.

Hodgdon has 14 flavors of pistol powder: http://www.hodgdon.com/shotpist.html
For a retailer to pickup just one of each of the 3 normal sizes of pistol powder (1, 4, 8 they might not all arrive in that mix) puts the shop at 182 pounds about double the max that they are allowed. This is for just one brand, not including rifle powder.

Places in MA can't stock a wide selection of powder with any depth.

Last edited:
I've only been reloading for a few months and had no preferences going in so I just made a list of all the powders listed for 9mm in the 49th and a small Hodgden book.
I've found 231, TiteGroup, Bullseye as well Clays and AutoComp. Hot damm if they all don't work. Still buying it if I see it and grabbing primers as well. It's been easy to find bullets on line so I'm doing Ok and feeling good about it. If only I wasn't shooting the finished rounds at a frightening rate....

Ive used bullseye and 231 in 9 mm with no problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't even started to reload and am very discouraged with the prospect of getting components that I want. Today I happened to be stalking Gunbot and saw some powders come up that I would have wanted to get. Then I was shut down by virtue of living in this Commonwealth that has scared the stores with BS. I'm miffed!

I haven't even started to reload and am very discouraged with the prospect of getting components that I want. Today I happened to be stalking Gunbot and saw some powders come up that I would have wanted to get. Then I was shut down by virtue of living in this Commonwealth that has scared the stores with BS. I'm miffed!

I have given up attempting to get anything shipped to the state, I have friends out of state and I am thinking of packing up and moving to Maine. I work from home and my boss is out of the UK and everybody that works for me is in other states. I have lived in MA since 1976 and it's really time to pack up and move. Let's face it the gun laws and the kayaking are better in maine.

I have given up attempting to get anything shipped to the state, I have friends out of state and I am thinking of packing up and moving to Maine. I work from home and my boss is out of the UK and everybody that works for me is in other states. I have lived in MA since 1976 and it's really time to pack up and move. Let's face it the gun laws and the kayaking are better in maine.
My God what keeps your here! My wife wont leave because of family. What to do! I wa t to head south

I was just up at Stateline Guns in Plaistow NH. They have IMR 4198, IMR 4895, H4895, IMR4320, H4350, IMR4831, RL17, WST. No Varget.
A bunch others, I can't remember. Most of the powders are under $32/lb.

Heritage coin in Warwick ri, found 8lb of long shot at $125( awesome price) he also had green and red dot, h-110 and a bunch of others. (Sorry only really noticed what I usually purchase) worth a call or visit. Also bullseye in Woonsocket had some varget

Don't get discouraged, projectiles, brass and primers are super easy to find. Powder is the only component that has remained scarce. Take a look at this burn rate chart and if you come up with a recipe, draw a horizontal line across and all these powders should similar burn rates and recipes.

http://www.lapua.com/upload/reloading/reloadingburningratechart2011.pdf

This opens your options for shopping.

At the last Wilmington show you could find powder that would work with almost all the common rifle and pistol calibers.

Chris

Don't get discouraged, projectiles, brass and primers are super easy to find. Powder is the only component that has remained scarce. Take a look at this burn rate chart and if you come up with a recipe, draw a horizontal line across and all these powders should similar burn rates and recipes.

http://www.lapua.com/upload/reloading/reloadingburningratechart2011.pdf

This opens your options for shopping.

At the last Wilmington show you could find powder that would work with almost all the common rifle and pistol calibers.

Chris

Chris,
Thanks it's a nice chart.

Heritage coin in Warwick ri, found 8lb of long shot at $125( awesome price) he also had green and red dot, h-110 and a bunch of others. (Sorry only really noticed what I usually purchase) worth a call or visit. Also bullseye in Woonsocket had some varget

What caliber do you load with Longshot? I was considering it for 9mm in USPSA to make 140 PF.

500 and 12 gauge. Plan on getting a 460 Rowland conversion for my sa1911 and it was the only powder in the Hodgdon load data center

Back
Top Bottom