Where to get good cheap firewood near Boston?

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
I want to get a couple of cords of wood for romantic evenings in front of the fire (and backup heating) this winter. The places I have found near me (Newton), charge over $300 per cord of wood, delivered. Is there any cheaper alternative that anyone knows of to get wood to a metrowest boston location?

That reminds me, I need to tune up my chainsaw, and that I need to do something about that rather large American elm looming over my house (on the side that my electrical drop comes in) that decided autumn started in June. [sad]

You're not going to find it much cheaper than that even fifty miles out of Boston.

I live out where alot of wood is cut and sold and I've seen signs for $285/cord delivered locally( a couple of miles). Trucking it into the Boston area suburbs costs time and money so if you've got a price at $300, thats not bad.

Check with Bartlett Tree on Rumford Ave and see what they'll give you for a price.

You're not going to find it much cheaper than that even fifty miles out of Boston.

I live out where alot of wood is cut and sold and I've seen signs for $285/cord delivered locally( a couple of miles). Trucking it into the Boston area suburbs costs time and money so if you've got a price at $300, thats not bad.

Check with Bartlett Tree on Rumford Ave and see what they'll give you for a price.

Thanks for the pointer. The prices I was paying last Fall were actually closer to $400 than $300 for a cord [crying]

If you don't mind going to get it.. Craigslist.org always has people in the free sections saying that they have wood to give away.

Does your town have a compost? North Attleboro does...and they have a place for people to dump wood where they've chopped down a tree. It's full branches and trunks cut down to about two foot sections. But it's free and you just have to do the splitting.

So, if you have one of those in your town, it might be worth a look. It just might need to be seasoned...but hey, it's free.

I wonder if he really has "at least a couple cords" on his "veranda"

2 cords of wood, would take up a spot roughly 8' long, 8' wide, and 16' high

If a cord of wood is 128 cubic feet of wood, how could 2 cord be 8x8x4?

A cord is 4X4X8= 128

2 cord = 4X4X16= 256

or 8X8X4=256.....just depends how you stack it.....the volume is the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Firewood

There is a place in Derry NH up route 28, that I believe is selling a cord for mid $200.00 range. I travel home to Derry from Boston every night, I'll check it out tonight and repost info tomorrow. It would be about 42 miles from Boston.

cord = $235.00

A cord of wood at the place I was referring to in Derry is 235.00 a cord. This seems to be a pretty good price according to what I have read. Let me know if anyone needs directions.

Last year I decided to burn up all the leftovers odd piles and further from the door piles of wood. I ran out and it made me nervous.

This year I saw a sign at Marblehead Garden Center : firewood $250 cord free local delivery.

I had them drop 2 in my driveway , mostly oak , very well seasoned. Satisfied customer.

The next day they raised the price to 275. It's still posted.

Back
Top Bottom