• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which media separator to buy?

I'm in the market for a decent media separator. I think I have it narrowed down to two, my question is which would you buy and why?

I'm torn between the more expensive Dillon model (probably the larger of the two)
Or the RCBS media separator. The difference is that the Dillon costs literally double what the RCBS does.

I've heard excellent things about both, but some people have had issues with the hinges on the RCBS model. Is the Dillon worth twice what the RCBS costs? Which would you buy and why?

I have both sizes of the Dillon. They rock. No experience with RCBS.

Last edited:
No experience with RCBS here either.
I Have Dillon seperators. There made to last but I'm not crazy about them.

there's a little pin on the shaft that rests in a recess in the container (on the small one) that prevents the cage from turning but it still flops around.
The container tends to hold static electricity & the media can get stuck to the sides.
Also when you open the cage there's media stuck in the hinge & all the mating surfaces.
Could have been designed better IMO.

Last edited:
I've used the small Dillon one and it works great. But I own a Cabela's separator which I love. The main thing is that it's covered. None of the media splashes out of the separator, it's all contained. and it was pretty cheap.

ETA: I guess RCBS makes the Cabela's separator, they're the same. So there you go!

Last edited:
The RCBS one has a cover on it which is nice for keeping the dust down. Yes, the hinge on the cover sucks, but I haven't broken it... works fine for cheap money, though. It's more than enough for a small tumbler full of brass. I've had mine for over a year now and it's worked great.

-Mike

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00038502023
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00047VBSR00525

Can't say for sure but these look the same as the RCBS but less $$

My personal choice is a couple yard sale collanders. 50¢ goes a long way.

Been down the colander route before... Invest the $35 bucks in a cheap media separator... I'll be waiting here for you to thank me for saving you hours of time spent [wink]

I'm leaning towards the RCBS but I'll hold off ordering until tomorrow night since it wont ship 'til Monday anyway. Thanks for the input so far, keep 'em coming.

Anyone use another version that they've had good luck with?

I have a cheap frankford arsenal that has worked well for me.... I can't see spending the money for something more expensive....

I use an old aluminum collandar, with the holes drilled out, and have used that for decades. I place the collandar over a five gallon bucket, and allow media to fell through until only the media in the brass remains. A few tosses (like tossing salad) and it's all separated. When I use the Dillon 500 tumbler, it dumps into the collandar in one complete effort. When using the Dillon 2000 tumbler, I have to do several batches. I get a little on the floor, but it sweeps up fine. I use a scoop for processing batches from the Dillon 2000.

[smile]Does that make me cheaper (um...) .... MORE FRUGAL than Bob J?????[rolleyes]

I have the RCBS and the hinge on the separator broke within 2 months. & years latter it is still working but I wouldn't buy another because the plastic is too hard and breaks. I do like the top that cuts down on dust.

Last edited:
I'm a reloading noob and I don't know much, but I have the RCBS separator and it seems to work really well.

I use an old aluminum collandar, with the holes drilled out, and have used that for decades. I place the collandar over a five gallon bucket, and allow media to fell through until only the media in the brass remains. A few tosses (like tossing salad) and it's all separated. When I use the Dillon 500 tumbler, it dumps into the collandar in one complete effort. When using the Dillon 2000 tumbler, I have to do several batches. I get a little on the floor, but it sweeps up fine. I use a scoop for processing batches from the Dillon 2000.

[smile]Does that make me cheaper (um...) .... MORE FRUGAL than Bob J?????[rolleyes]

Nothing wrong with being uhm.... Frugal....[smile]

I've used the small Dillon one and it works great. But I own a Cabela's separator which I love. The main thing is that it's covered. None of the media splashes out of the separator, it's all contained. and it was pretty cheap.

ETA: I guess RCBS makes the Cabela's separator, they're the same. So there you go!

I have a Cabellas too and like it but it's too small for anything larger than a Lyman 2200.

It's made by Berry's, as listed on the box.

I've had my RCBS for a couple of years. No problems at all with it but I am careful opening, closing and taking the top off. The hinge from the get go looked weak. For the money I have no complaints. If it breaks tomorrow I'll buy the same one to replace it.

Duke, do you have your ham radio license yet? Anyone this cheap basically has to be a ham.... [rofl]

-Mike

Crap! I'm a ham.....[thinking]

I am too. The only reason I mentioned it was because I've never known a group of more frugal individuals to exist, ever. [laugh]

In some cases it's ingenious (being able to make something useful out of junk) in other cases witnessing it in action can make you nauseous- especially if you go to a hamfest, where some hams are apparently too cheap to buy some SOAP or DEODORANT. [laugh]

-Mike

I'm in the market for a decent media separator. I think I have it narrowed down to two, my question is which would you buy and why?

I'm torn between the more expensive Dillon model (probably the larger of the two)
Or the RCBS media separator. The difference is that the Dillon costs literally double what the RCBS does.

I've heard excellent things about both, but some people have had issues with the hinges on the RCBS model. Is the Dillon worth twice what the RCBS costs? Which would you buy and why?

I have the RCBS one, and it works just fine at separating media and cases. It works well enough that I've yet to open it up and find the process un-finished.

However, the hinges on the cover are kind of annoying, and kinda pissed me off at first. They don't *break*, but they come undone easily so when you open the lid it comes off the base. Having said that, it's easy to prevent separation of the top and bottom case halves by holding the whole thing with a little pressure holding the hinge together, and it doesn't bother me at all anymore. I wouldn't pay more for the Dillon, the top on the RCBS is nice.

I've never used the Dillon one, so maybe I just don't know how good it can be. :)

-. --- --..-- / .. / .- -- / -. --- - / .- / .... .- -- / .-. .- -.. .. --- / --- .--. . .-. .- - --- .-. .-.-.- / -... ..- - --..-- / .. / .- -- / ..-. .-. ..- --. .- .-.. .-.-.- / ... - --- .--. .-.-.-

Duke, do you have your ham radio license yet? Anyone this cheap basically has to be a ham.... [rofl]

-Mike

I have to change my opinion on the Frankford Arsenal.... My original comments were based on an old model separator which I bought maybe 10 years ago... Nothing fancy but very servicable....

Bought a new one to dedicate to my SS wet tumbling and have to say what a POS.... Comes with little attachments that clip on the bucket to hold the separator when it is turning and a couple of really flimsy clip on side panels to help keep the media from going everywhere.... When trying to turn the separator everything moves around since they don't clip very firmly to the bucket.... [thinking]

know you are looking at the RCBS but If you come across a Frankford Arsenal separator I would avoid it at all costs...

I have the RCBS one, and it works just fine at separating media and cases. It works well enough that I've yet to open it up and find the process un-finished.

However, the hinges on the cover are kind of annoying, and kinda pissed me off at first. They don't *break*, but they come undone easily so when you open the lid it comes off the base. Having said that, it's easy to prevent separation of the top and bottom case halves by holding the whole thing with a little pressure holding the hinge together, and it doesn't bother me at all anymore. I wouldn't pay more for the Dillon, the top on the RCBS is nice.

I've never used the Dillon one, so maybe I just don't know how good it can be. :)

I have the Cabelas one and have the same minor issues with the hinge. Now I just completely remove the lid when I'm done and it's not an issue. It's nice to not have to suck dust when seperating.

I have the RCBS and it works great. Have been using it regularly for several years. Including this morning. Hinges look weak, but have held up just fine.

I ended up settling for the Cabela's/RCBS version... ended up getting it for $38 shipped to my door - It's way bigger than I thought it was going to be. We'll see how this one goes before I plunk down the big bucks for the Dillon. Thanks for all the replies!

Back
Top Bottom