Which media separator to buy?

I've found that a $3.00 cat litter box that was sold at Wally World to be the best, cheapest, neatest(media spillage wise) and fastest that I've ever used.

It has large openings but not large enough to allow brass to enter, and the media falls through it like water as soon as you lift the basket. A few lateral shakes and all the media is separated. Even .223 rifle brass with its small case mouth cleans out easily.

The basket will hold about three times as much brass as the tumbler so overfill is never a concern.

I have a few of them and use one strictly for pre tumble cleaning of sand and other debris that usually comes with range brass.

I also use several large hole plastic collanders that I found in Ocean State Job Lot many years ago.

Never saw any advantage to a Dillon type media separator.

I've had both the RCBS and the Dillon. The RCBS feel very flimsy compared to the Dillon. There were some times when using it with .223 brass that I felt like the handles on the unit were going to break. I have the larger Dillon separator and have no complaints. It's built rock solid and is worth the money.

Back
Top Bottom