• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which size shells for home defense?

For HD, I'd want the full payload of #4 buck in a 2¾ shell, despite the reduced tube capacity.

This, but I would add an osi adapter and go with mini shells if using a shockwave.
Opsol Mini Clip?

IIRC, recent production Shockwave 12 gauge has a new elevator which will feed short and standard length shells without needing adaptors for the minis?

Throw 3 boxes worth of 12G down the hallway in the dark and hope he slips on one of them and busts his ass. Physically toss your family out the top story window and remind them to do PLF’s on the way down. Set. Good.
Now light cigarette, grab flex cuffs and bundle intruder before dragging him outside nude, beaten and crying.

I agree with #4 buck 2-3/4 as the smallest. I wouldn't go below that.

As a note it is worth measuring the longest LIKELY shot in your house, setting up a target at that distance and practicing to learn exactly what your gun patterns at those short distances.
Dunno why #4, #00 is more effective against flesh and solid objects.

For HD, I'd want the full payload of #4 buck in a 2¾ shell, despite the reduced tube capacity.
For the most part I agree. My wife is significantly more accurate with Federal #4 Buck shortys so that is what would be in hers. Either way I wouldn't be using a shockwave to begin with though. I don't think the minor advantages to maneuverability outweigh not having a stock on a shotgun, especially using full power SD/HD loads.
Opsol Mini Clip?

IIRC, recent production Shockwave 12 gauge has a new elevator which will feed short and standard length shells without needing adaptors for the minis?
Good to know. are they putting them on regular shotguns or just the shockwave.

Opsol Mini Clip?

Yes this shockwave was feeding the mini shells fine

Dunno why #4, #00 is more effective against flesh and solid objects.
In addition to the over penetration thing that eboos brought up, once your shot has enough mass to penetrate to the required depth at the ranges you’re using it, smaller shot will have a larger combined cross section which will shut down a threat faster.
Lay an ounce of #4 on the table next to an ounce of #00. The #4 will cover a greater area.

Personally I load #1 for HD, bu it’s a low recoil load too so it needs a little more mass/shot to get appropriate penetration.

Back
Top Bottom