• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which size shells for home defense?

I think first you should put down the guns and do a couple of actual walk through, deep thinking, home assessments of your property. From both points of view. Bad guy(s) and home defender (you). Walk those paths with eyes wide open thinking about how things look from both sides, where are you protected, where does the bad guy have protection, how easily can you move from room to room or cover to cover, floor to floor, same from his side.

You have to walk the lanes and get eyes and brain keyed in on everything and anything that will help or hinder your defenses, and then improve those areas or mark them as noted and keep going.

Paying attention to the avenues of approach that would be the most likely points of entry for an intruder(s), ease of those entry points and trying to harden them (make them more secure).

Recognize and designate the best place to try and gather your family (or yourself if you live alone), making sure that FRP (family rally point) can be secured, defended and also allows an emergency exit point in case of fire or other mitigating circumstances (if they can’t get to you without being shot but then try to burn you out instead). Equip that room (that rally point) with some basics in case those are needed (fire extinguishers, emergency rope ladder, phone, large canisters of pepper spray to flood the approaching staircase or hallways and slow or deter the assault, a basic trauma kit, spare mags or ammo in a drawer for whatever firearm you end up choosing, couple water bottles, etc etc. even a secondary small safe secured in that room with another pistol or rifle.

There are a lot of basic things you can do (this is only a short list) to prepare physically and mentally beforehand, with the mindset of securing your family first. Some of these things require money, time, racking your brain a little and some basic handiwork, but will pay off in dividends if they’re ever needed.

Point being having a firearm is really only a small part of the larger equation. It’s the mental and physical prep that will make yours a formidable place for anyone to try and force entry without immediate regret.
This is a gun forum right?

This is a gun forum right?
Yes. And that's why someone with the experience of having been on both sides of these kinds of events is sharing his experience.

Firearms are fantastic tools in appropriate circumstances, but they don't fix everything. He's far from the only one here looking at the questions you're asking and thinking there may be other things you're not taking into account.

Yes. And that's why someone with the experience of having been on both sides of these kinds of events is sharing his experience.

Firearms are fantastic tools in appropriate circumstances, but they don't fix everything. He's far from the only one here looking at the questions you're asking and thinking there may be other things you're not taking into account.
No good deed…

Half the responses were trolls including your first post. So I was giving a little back.

I appreciate your response. I probably wont get around to fortifying my house tbh.
No they weren’t. That’s regular NES humor, there’s no escaping that anywhere around here. Stick around a while and you’ll learn how it works.

That’s not fortifying your house, it’s all very basic security checks and balances, as well as familiarizing yourself with your own area and making it work for you and not against you.

Your simple solution of keeping a gun handy is a great start to begin with, but there’s a helluva lot more involved in a good defense and you’re missing the point. I was trying to lesson the pain you’ll feel if that ever comes to fruition and offer you basic steps you can take for a more successful outcome.

No they weren’t. That’s regular NES humor, there’s no escaping that anywhere around here. Stick around a while and you’ll learn how it works.

That’s not fortifying your house, it’s all very basic security checks and balances, as well as familiarizing yourself with your own area and making it work for you and not against you.

Your simple solution of keeping a gun handy is a great start to begin with, but there’s a helluva lot more involved in a good defense and you’re missing the point. I was trying to lesson the pain you’ll feel if that ever comes to fruition and offer you basic steps you can take for a more successful outcome.
Need I remind you I wasn't the one getting salty about NES humor.

Regardless I agree with the content of your post, albeit the "bro take a step back and put the guns down" was a little condescending. I can even expand upon your post with tactics such as planting thorny shrubbery under windows, motion lights, etc.. to deter people. My questions were pretty specific though and while i appreciate the response I hope you understand why I responded as such. It was meant to be tongue in cheek but I guess folks may not as terse as I usually am. My bad

Regardless I agree with the content of your post, albeit the "bro take a step back and put the guns down" was a little condescending. I can even expand upon your post with tactics such as planting thorny shrubbery under windows, motion lights, etc.. to deter people. My questions were pretty specific though and while i appreciate the response I hope you understand why I responded as such. It was meant to be tongue in cheek but I guess folks may not as terse as I usually am. My bad
I don’t need reminding of anything from somebody who comes onto a firearms forum asking what kind of gun or ammo he should use for home defense. It’s a rookie red flag.

There was zero snark in my post about “bro step back”. Those are your words so please don’t quote them as mine. I was legitimately trying to help you and taking a pause from your learning curve of what to use, to remind you that your house and your training also need attention, it was that simple.

I’ll leave you to your thread and say once again, good luck, I won’t interfere with your success anymore.

Lotta huffing and puffing by some of you.

Take it to Grindr or something.
There’s no anger here if you’re referring to me, just two people coming to an understanding that there was a misunderstanding between posts. Nothing more.

In addition to the "buck and ball" Winchester PDX1's I mentioned earlier, I still have a couple boxes of no-longer-in-production Remington Ultimate Home Defense 2 3/4" shells filled with BB size shot.

One of the nice things about them is they're legal for coyote hunting in MA, too. If you can find 'em they're good stuff.

=============

Out of curiosity I went looking for other 2 3/4" BB shot shells. This seems like it'd be pretty good, relatively inexpensive, and generally available.

& it's steel so won't be toxic to the person breaking in your back door. (wtf they had 25-round boxes for like, $19 earlier. now only shows 250 count big boxes (?))

Last edited:
Your the shotgun animal around here.Tell op what he needs enbloc. Remington or Federal for in the house. Pretty sure it Remington 2 3/4" ,9 pellet buck for close faster spread isnt it?
I do like the Fed 8-pellet (w/ Flight Control wad) 2 3/4" Copper-plated 00-buck. I've found that the 9th pellet load has a "flyer" a lot of the time.

3291.jpg

He wasn’t just talking about physical security to deter people. His advise and considerations directly influence the decision making process for what tool(both firearm type and ammo) you should buy/train with/employ.

Back
Top Bottom