• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which size shells for home defense?

Under 7 yards which is the average ( long ) distance in most houses even #7 1/2 low brass is plenty deadly enough, it doesn't even start to spread out that much at that range and its a what 1 1/4oz of lead flying at you at 1100 fps, ya no thanks.

I got family on the other sides of those walls, neighbors I like within 50-60 yards of those walls I don't need anymore headaches than the can of worms that just got opened.

Not saying its ideal and the NES tacticool squad will say other wise but in this environment where ammo is hard to come by and if you do use in self defense make sure it stays within your walls and not the guy next door.

This thing would be sick on a Shockwave. lol

View attachment 542934

That would be even better mounted on a long recoil action like an old A5 or Remington Model 11. It would look like the sewing machine of the apocalypse. (For you young guys who only use guns made this century, the A5 action has the whole barrel recoil back and forth to move the bolt - only from the mind of John M. Browning)

We have 500 in 20 ga. There didn’t usedta be self defense rounds for 20 ga but there are now.

When the Hell was self defense rounds not made in 20 gauge? I've been shooting buck and slugs out of mine for 40 years.

Shotguns have always been the average Joe's go to home defense gun. NES is not a good sampling of "average". I know a ton of people who don't consider themselves "gun guys" but they still have a .22 rifle and a shotgun.

Personal choice - double aught buck in the right barrel, front trigger and slug in left barrel, back trigger. My safety is very quiet, I prefer to keep surprise on my side.

Why a Shockwave? Tiny house? Hated firing those things in my 20’s let alone now...
I see the reasoning behind not wanting to have a massive barrel leading the way around a corner...

OP is in NH, so could always pay the $200 then switch to wood furniture, buttstock, on their newly minted SBS.
how are you supposed to butt stroke an intruder without a butt?
Nightstick edition?
50651_590_Nightstick_WOOD-1.png

Under 7 yards which is the average ( long ) distance in most houses even #7 1/2 low brass is plenty deadly enough, it doesn't even start to spread out that much at that range and its a what 1 1/4oz of lead flying at you at 1100 fps, ya no thanks.

I got family on the other sides of those walls, neighbors I like within 50-60 yards of those walls I don't need anymore headaches than the can of worms that just got opened.

Not saying its ideal and the NES tacticool squad will say other wise but in this environment where ammo is hard to come by and if you do use in self defense make sure it stays within your walls and not the guy next door.
If the perp survives. The er doc and nurse that has to pull each one of those out is gonna curse you for the 6 hours it takes. 40-50 pellets should be the maximum annoyance

Narrow hallways.
Then use a handgun or an SBR. My 12ga (with 2.75" #4 buck) is for waiting at the top of the stairs while the local PD responds, as I'm not about to attempt to clear my house by myself if I know someone is there. On the other hand, if I just need to check out a bump in the night (it's usually the cats being a**h***s), a handgun gets around corners very easily. Just food for thought.

overpenetration
only until you need to shoot off the door lock or take out the target that hides behind the wall. for no penetration you have your handgun, if i would have to grab a shotgun - i want it to do what 12ga shotgun was made for. penetrating.

Just curious...

Who here has had to fire their shotgun in their house?

Like on purpose? 🙄 🤣
Naw. I was wondering why questions about "what do you use for home defense ammo?" are asked... To me, "Used" means you have actually used it in defense of your home...

Asking about "hunting" or "target practice" ammo choice is always easier.

only until you need to shoot off the door lock or take out the target that hides behind the wall. for no penetration you have your handgun, if i would have to grab a shotgun - i want it to do what 12ga shotgun was made for. penetrating.
Joe? Is that you?

How's this

ob93m0st-900.jpg
That right there is Boston PD-level collimation.
2vfdgo.jpg

overpenetration
only until you need to shoot off the door lock or take out the target that hides behind the wall.

for no penetration you have your handgun,
flobert-pistols-jpg.88944

.22LR in a handgun: goes entirely through six sheets of wallboard.

Just curious...

Who here has had to fire their shotgun in their house?
I did, luckily the voices stopped.
Guess they didn't pull up their socks. [shocked]

Last edited:
Then use a handgun or an SBR. My 12ga (with 2.75" #4 buck) is for waiting at the top of the stairs while the local PD responds, as I'm not about to attempt to clear my house by myself if I know someone is there. On the other hand, if I just need to check out a bump in the night (it's usually the cats being a**h***s), a handgun gets around corners very easily. Just food for thought.
I was considering that. Would it be better to just keep a glock 17 near the bed?

Our Squadron Commander was a Vietnam Armored Cav vet. He described walking out from their position the morning after they fired Beehive rounds from tank cannons while under attack.

”All we found were pieces of flesh.”
But in 12 guage beehives only Trump 00 buck in heavy foliage

I was considering that. Would it be better to just keep a glock 17 near the bed?
I think first you should put down the guns and do a couple of actual walk through, deep thinking, home assessments of your property. From both points of view. Bad guy(s) and home defender (you). Walk those paths with eyes wide open thinking about how things look from both sides, where are you protected, where does the bad guy have protection, how easily can you move from room to room or cover to cover, floor to floor, same from his side.

You have to walk the lanes and get eyes and brain keyed in on everything and anything that will help or hinder your defenses, and then improve those areas or mark them as noted and keep going.

Paying attention to the avenues of approach that would be the most likely points of entry for an intruder(s), ease of those entry points and trying to harden them (make them more secure).

Recognize and designate the best place to try and gather your family (or yourself if you live alone), making sure that FRP (family rally point) can be secured, defended and also allows an emergency exit point in case of fire or other mitigating circumstances (if they can’t get to you without being shot but then try to burn you out instead). Equip that room (that rally point) with some basics in case those are needed (fire extinguishers, emergency rope ladder, phone, large canisters of pepper spray to flood the approaching staircase or hallways and slow or deter the assault, a basic trauma kit, spare mags or ammo in a drawer for whatever firearm you end up choosing, couple water bottles, etc etc. even a secondary small safe secured in that room with another pistol or rifle.

There are a lot of basic things you can do (this is only a short list) to prepare physically and mentally beforehand, with the mindset of securing your family first. Some of these things require money, time, racking your brain a little and some basic handiwork, but will pay off in dividends if they’re ever needed.

Point being having a firearm is really only a small part of the larger equation. It’s the mental and physical prep that will make yours a formidable place for anyone to try and force entry without immediate regret.

Back
Top Bottom