Why are people anti 40 ?

nothing good comes from a 40.

My first gun was .40, because police caliber. Then I bought a .45, because 'Murica! Then I bought a 10mm, because nuke in a pistol. Then I actually started shooting more then a box of ammo once in a great while and stopped listening to every swinging dick in a gun shop, now I only carry and shoot 9mm. However, I am always on my period.

I still have my first pistol and one 1911, but that is because I am a sentimental person.

Very similar here. First was a 45 for the same reason. Next was a fotay because glock. Finally to 9mm, because I like having 20 rounds available per mag and the ballistics aren't that much better between 9/40. Only other round I'd go with now, is .357 sig. Or magnum if I had a 686.

The idea behind the .40 was ok. Combine the best of 9mm and .45 ACP into a single round. Unfortunately, it's been found to not really do that. IMO, better off with either 9mm or .45 ACP. Of course, my preference is .45 ACP. In a high capacity pistol, your round count is the same (especially in nanny states) so why not go with a larger round that has a softer recoil? The misconception that .45 ACP recoil is harder to control than 9mm is just that, a misconception. 9mm recoil is also sharper than .45 ACP.

BTW, .45 ACP because shooting twice is just silly... Plus 'MERICA!!! [rofl2]
Bolded is completely not true see post #10.

I'll also just try to ignore the fact that you said 9mm recoil is sharper than .45acp [rolleyes]

Because the famous NES'er EddieCoyle said so.
Why I Hate the .40 S&W

I dislike the .40 on principle, and also because of personal experience not related to the performance of the cartridge.

On Principle
The .40 is symbolic of the pussification of America. You see... in the past, someone at a firearms company took a look at a cartridge like the .38 S&W and said, "Hey... If we made this thing longer, we could get more powder into it and make it more powerful." Everybody within earshot said, "Let's do it!", and the .38 Special was born.

One night several decades later, Colonel D. B. Wesson and Phil Sharpe were sitting around on stools made from elephant legs, drinking straight whiskey and smoking Cuban cigars when the Col picked up a .38 Special and said, "Dude, we should make this thing longer, stuff it full of smokeless powder, and give it a cool name. It would kick ass!" to which Phil Sharpe replied, "You're a pussy if you don't", and Bingo! the .357 Magnum was born.

The same thing happened with the .44 - except Elmer Keith wouldn't stop whining about it so he was drinking whiskey alone, angrily writing magazine articles until Remington finally made his cartridge.

The .40 was developed backwards.

In April of 1986, the FBI was involved in a shootout in Miami with two heavily armed career criminals. The bad guys were killed, but not before they took the lives of FBI Special Agents Gerald Dove and Benjamin Grogan. The subsequent investigation placed partial blame for the agents' deaths on the lack of stopping power exhibited by their 9mm handguns, so the FBI adopted the far superior 10mm cartridge.

Field agents loved the additional firepower, but some of the sissy office staff complained about the 10mm's recoil. One day, some pale doughy accountant picked up a 10mm and said, "If someone else would make this smaller and weaker, it wouldn't hurt my little hand as much when I shoot it." His transgender assistant said, "That a great idea! They could even make the guns smaller to fit in my evening bag", and the .40 was born.

Personal Experience
I've been shooting since my early teens. When I was looking for a carry handgun, I made the mistake of asking a blowhard know-it-all former co-worker his opinion.

He had one gun - a Sigma in .40 S&W - which in his mind made him an expert on firearms - and since he had a .40, it had to be the best cartridge ever conceived. After that, every time he saw me he'd spend what seemed like hours expounding on the virtues of the .40 as "the perfect cartridge". As a result, I began to hate it.

The deal was sealed soon thereafter, when I had a bad gun shop experience with some crusty old fossil that tried to hard-sell me a .40. The non-conformist in me kicked into high gear and I said to myself, "I'm never going to own one of these friggin' things".

A side story about the know-it-all blowhard:

A couple of years ago I was talking to the know-it-all blowhard and I mentioned that I was reloading for my .500. He said, "There's no such thing as a .50 caliber revolver". I directed him to Google and told him to do his research. (He must've missed the release of the X-frames because he couldn't hear it over the sound of how awesome the .40 is).

After he decided that it existed, he asked if he could shoot my .500 because he was "proficient with big bore revolvers" and might be able to show me some tips on shooting it. So, I took Mr. Proficiency out to the range, put a single mild load in my 8" .500, he shot it, and dropped my gun! He grabbed his wrist and started hopping around crying like Nancy Kerrigan. He broke the fiberoptic front sight on my revolver and never paid for it. He still loves the .40 though.
http://vintagepistols.com/40isbad.html

It's because it was invented to pussify the 10mm. Candy asses couldn't handle the 10mm so they invented the .40.

THIS^

If someone tells me they carry a .40 because they like a little more power than a 9mm and want the couple extra rounds that you can get vs. carrying a 45acp or 357 magnum revolver I'll nod my head and say it makes sense. When a "fotay" guy starts talking about a .40 having superior stopping power than a .357 or 45acp I the realize they are truly brainwashed.

That said.....I carry a 357 magnum sp101.......I don't leave the house preparing for a mall shoot out and shoot that gun VERY well. And 357 magnum is well.......357 magnum! Yes it stings to shoot it........but I don't shoot my EDC gun and expect it to be "comfy".

The best line on this topic comes from Eddy Coyle. If I recall correctly he said:

"The .40 was developed by French women so they could have something to shoot while their husbands cook."[rofl]

Bolded is completely not true see post #10.

I'll also just try to ignore the fact that you said 9mm recoil is sharper than .45acp [rolleyes]

Shows how much I give a flying rat fart about .40... Doesn't change how the .40 sucks. Or the facts about the recoil character difference between 9mm and .45 ACP. I'm not the only one to notice it either.

But, this thread isn't about the difference betweem 9mm and .45 ACP. It's about why fotay sucks balls.

Shows how much I give a flying rat fart about .40... Doesn't change how the .40 sucks. Or the facts about the recoil character difference between 9mm and .45 ACP. I'm not the only one to notice it either.

But, this thread isn't about the difference betweem 9mm and .45 ACP. It's about why fotay sucks balls.

Anyone else think it is kida funny that if you look back through this thread Golddiggie is ABSULUTELY the first poster to mention recoil difference between 9mm and 45acp.......then he quotes the above on bold [rofl][rofl][rofl]

Anyone who bases felt recoil off of caliber alone either hasn't shot enough guns or doesn't know what they're talking about.

I've totally shot handguns (the M&P full size series, for instance) where the .45 had slightly less felt recoil than the 9, and far noticibly less than the .40. Has to do with spring # age, slide weight, gun design, (and with the case of the M&P, the fact the .45 is a totally different frame from the one the 9mm and .40 share)--generalizing recoil based on caliber is a dumb endeavor since there are so many other factors that can greatly vary the generalization to the point where it ceases to matter.

The 40 is too much for some girly men to handle that is why they don't like it.[wink][laugh]

the only gun i have that i ever thought about selling is a 40 cal...but its not the round..the gun itself is very hard for me to shoot...keltec sub 2000....cant really get comfortable with it

I like guns. Guns fire bullets. I like bullets. Without bullets I can't fire guns. I don't care what size the bullets are. I like them all. I would buy a gun for every caliber if I had the money; Rifles, handguns, shotguns, bb guns. I don't care. Heck, give me a potato gun. I like guns.

Anyone who bases felt recoil off of caliber alone either hasn't shot enough guns or doesn't know what they're talking about.

I've totally shot handguns (the M&P full size series, for instance) where the .45 had slightly less felt recoil than the 9, and far noticibly less than the .40. Has to do with spring # age, slide weight, gun design, (and with the case of the M&P, the fact the .45 is a totally different frame from the one the 9mm and .40 share)--generalizing recoil based on caliber is a dumb endeavor since there are so many other factors that can greatly vary the generalization to the point where it ceases to matter.

This is by far the most intelligent post on this thread. Makes perfect sense.....guess I've never fired a 9mm handgun with the combined dynamics you discuss that would make felt recoil for me that was more than a 45acp. I can see your point in how it is definitely possible though.

Hi everyone, I am very new to firearms and my first gun is a Glock 23. Now that i have been on this forum it seems like a lot of people are anti 40. My question is why.

Thanks everyone.

Gdbrz [grin]

Because they are wussies, wussies that are complaining about a round that was already wussified (10mm) because it hurt their wrists really bad, and now that we have the wussified 10mm (.40) it still hurts their wrists really bad..... 9mm is the round those wussies feel is ok for their flamboyant limp wrists.

Probably the same people who think Pop Warner football is to rough and should be softened.

Last edited:
This is by far the most intelligent post on this thread. Makes perfect sense.....guess I've never fired a 9mm handgun with the combined dynamics you discuss that would make felt recoil for me that was more than a 45acp. I can see your point in how it is definitely possible though.

It's also worth noting a .45 is usually a slower velocity round which also plays into it. As the ladies say, size doesn't always matter--slow and steady is sometimes better.

My first handgun was in .40. Want to know why? Before I got my LTC, when I would go to the range and shoot my rifles then pick up my brass for reloading, I noticed that the majority of shells on the ground were .40 . Being a person that likes to save money by reloading I saw a vast supply of free brass in a caliber that packed a punch better than a 9mm and a smaller gun frame than the .45 .

Silly me, I carry my .45 pro series all the time now, but I still enjoy shooting the .40 .
I suppose if I had bought the 9mm I would be just as happy with that. I think it is just chest pounding BS and more of what someone bought (for whatever reason) that they like.

It's also worth noting a .45 is usually a slower velocity round which also plays into it. As the ladies say, size doesn't always matter--slow and steady is sometimes better.

The old saying was, heavy and slow is the way to go.

Having said that though, I shoot all calibers and recoil is not an issue with me. During warmer weather, my primary EDC is a G27, but carry a G23 on occasion (more rounds and it's not that much larger). In the colder months, depending on where I'm going, I'll sometimes carry either a G29 or G30. The problem with the G29 is that 10mm ammo is so damn expensive (same with .357SIG). I have a G19 and a S&W 5906TSW (both with hi-caps), but still prefer to carry .40 since I can shoot it just as well as 9mm.

Quite simply, 40 exists because the FBI wanted something lighter than 10mm.
The FBI desire may have given birth to the fotay, however, the police popularity would appear to be largely due to the fact that the fotay fits something beginning with a "4" into the same frame as a 9x19.

The only reason for the fotay is Limited.

If you don't understand, than there is no reason at all for you to own a firearm chambered in fotay

I bought a .40 last year for IDPA/USPSA because I couldn't find ammo for my nine. I also bought a .45 at the same time and for the same reason.

Now the 9 is for IDPA, the .40 for USPSA and the .45 stays loaded in the safe.

I bought an m&p 40c because 10rnd mag, compact enough to carry, ammo is readily available and relatively affordable.

I'm not into caliber wars though. I like them all. I'd like to own a p226 in 9x19, a 1911, and at least a half dozen revolvers. It's all gravy. I luvs muh fotay. Plus when I OC my m&p in my serpa holster I say respect my Authoritahhh to passers by. I feel like it is much more effective than 9mm in that regard.

I am not anti 40.

I love hot 40 year old milfs.

Heck, I would drink a nice cold 40oz.

I probably drink about 40 ounces of coffee per day.

Oh yeah WD 40 is a good around the house.

If above was 45 I take the 45 all day.

A mixture of nuthugging, aversion to recoil, and not knowing what they're talking about.

This. Add a bit of "creative" (read: incorrect) historical interpretation to the mix as well.

Back
Top Bottom