• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why do Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0's have garbage triggers?

I just picked up a Smith M&P 2.0 Compact 3.6" barrel in 9mm. It wasn't in stock so I had my LGS order it for me. It arrived yesterday and the trigger is complete garbage. I measure it at 11 1/2 pounds and it is super gritty, mushy, and has the most indistinct break. We are talking double action revolver weight without any of the smoothness. I thought the 2.0 series would be an improvement over the 1.0, but I guess I was wrong.

Can someone explain why firearms such as the HK VP9 is MA compliant and has a fantastic striker fired trigger that weighs much less than 10 lbs, yet Smith who is in our backyard releases pistols with compliant triggers that are garbage?

Would you have an Apex kit installed or just get rid of it and pick up the new Shadow Systems MR920 Elite which is now MA compliant? Big price difference but nothing would need to be done to the Shadow Sys firearm.

Looking for something Glock 19 size for carry.

Thanks!

Every striker fired S&W i own has had trigger work done. They just plain suck. I love the ergonomics and they are all reliable in my experience, they just come with sucky stock triggers.
Such a bummer. I love everything else about it - ergo's, size, weight, grip texture, etc.

Do you carry any of them? I just worry about the legal aspects of a modified trigger.

Every striker fired S&W i own has had trigger work done. They just plain suck. I love the ergonomics and they are all reliable in my experience, they just come with sucky stock triggers.

Same here with the exception of an M&P Shield 45 that came from out of state and has a “free state trigger” in it.
You can thank Healy and her minions for abusing and co-opting the consumer safety legislation for your trigger.

Such a bummer. I love everything else about it - ergo's, size, weight, grip texture, etc.

Do you carry any of them? I just worry about the legal aspects of a modified trigger.
I carry with an apex trigger
If I have to explain at a trial then I at least lived through the fight.
A good defense is going to include the fact that the stock trigger is a safety risk to innocent bystanders. Effective self defense means stopping the threat without hurting others so it is prudent to make the process safer with good tools and training

Yes I carry an M&P compact regularly and a shield 2.0 occasionally. Apex triggers are nice and easy and done at home, I put one of those in a M&P9 for an IDPA gun. The others ive just had them adjusted by my gunsmith, the factory triggers can be worked on and made pretty crisp.

me, i don't change out triggers or whittle the press any lower than 4 pounds on a carry gun. just trying to give myself a fighting chance in court when they bring in the expert witness and they try to convince the jury i'm a premeditated, cold blooded, professional killer that modified their gun so it would kill better.

I carry with an apex trigger
If I have to explain at a trial then I at least lived through the fight.
A good defense is going to include the fact that the stock trigger is a safety risk to innocent bystanders. Effective self defense means stopping the threat without hurting others so it is prudent to make the process safer with good tools and training
Right. My Shield has an Apex trigger in it. I'm comfortable enough in hanging my hat on it being the "Duty and Carry" trigger.

Right. My Shield has an Apex trigger in it. I'm comfortable enough in hanging my hat on it being the "Duty and Carry" trigger.
Along with the infinite number of threads here showing the stock trigger is so bad its on the edge of unsafely inaccurate.

If you follow good practices and don't draw unless you meet the legal requirements for self defense then the level of trigger pull is irrelevant - a DA could argue that you were looking for a fight because you put a 'hair trigger' in your gun but that's defendable. Discussion on the subject here makes it clear that the person understands the accuracy difference between a 10+ lb stock trigger and a +/-5lb apex kit.

Is it a MA trigger to satisfy some MA AG BS law?

It has been a while and I don't follow the S&W semi guns too much, but IIRC there was a time when everyone who bought a S&W semi in MA would rip that trigger out and put in a "free state" trigger or go aftermarket.

Is it a MA trigger to satisfy some MA AG BS law?

It has been a while and I don't follow the S&W semi guns too much, but IIRC there was a time when everyone who bought a S&W semi in MA would rip that trigger out and put in a "free state" trigger or go aftermarket.
Yes
Needs a manual safety or a trigger pull a toddler can't activate.

You know, every M&P owner that shoots his/her pistol regularly drops an Apex in there. I'm afraid to put in any sort of trigger on any Glock expecting the Big Bad Prosecutor to hammer me into FPMITA Prison for aftermarket parts.

I need to calm hte F down. LOL. Maybe I'll order a flat-front for my G43. Just to futz with it.

You know, every M&P owner that shoots his/her pistol regularly drops an Apex in there. I'm afraid to put in any sort of trigger on any Glock expecting the Big Bad Prosecutor to hammer me into FPMITA Prison for aftermarket parts.

I need to calm hte F down. LOL. Maybe I'll order a flat-front for my G43. Just to futz with it.
If you order one of those things from wish, you'll only need to pull your shit trigger once

I had a Gen 1 M&P full size that I got almost 10 years ago to shoot IDPA. I put the Apex trigger, sear forward and DCAK kit. Cleaned everything up and made sure it was all adjusted. That was the best trigger on an M&P I've every seen. Later I added the Apex Match Barrel, Dawson Fiber Optic sights, Springer Precision magwell. Real nice M&P when I was done. I quit shooting IDPA with it in 2018 and it has been a safe queen since then.

A lot of people slam the M&P but they are good guns for what they are. Back in 2014-2018 you would see tons of people shooting them at IDPA matches. I just worked NER last weekend and we had a few shooters come through running M&Ps.

A free state m2.0 especially with the flat trigger has arguably one of the better trigger pulls in the striker fired poly gun world. The mass trigger is horrible by design. The truth is every polymer stiker fired trigger sucks. These aren't 2011s and they never will be.

I had a Gen 1 M&P full size that I got almost 10 years ago to shoot IDPA. I put the Apex trigger, sear forward and DCAK kit. Cleaned everything up and made sure it was all adjusted. That was the best trigger on an M&P I've every seen. Later I added the Apex Match Barrel, Dawson Fiber Optic sights, Springer Precision magwell. Real nice M&P when I was done. I quit shooting IDPA with it in 2018 and it has been a safe queen since then.

A lot of people slam the M&P but they are good guns for what they are. Back in 2014-2018 you would see tons of people shooting them at IDPA matches. I just worked NER last weekend and we had a few shooters come through running M&Ps.
For the cost I think they are a great gun apart from the triggers which everyone is aware of. I dont shoot a lot of IDPA anymore either but still occasionally go to practices for fun and shoot my gen 1 m&p, all i ever did to it was an apex trigger and sights and it's a good reliable shooter

me, i don't change out triggers or whittle the press any lower than 4 pounds on a carry gun. just trying to give myself a fighting chance in court when they bring in the expert witness and they try to convince the jury i'm a premeditated, cold blooded, professional killer that modified their gun so it would kill better.
Just wait until they quote your post in court.

Yes
Needs a manual safety or a trigger pull a toddler can't activate.

I get that but how does H&K manage to sell MA compliant VP9s and other striker fire manufacturers in MA do the same? I have never experienced anything like the M&P trigger on any other MA compliant non-modified striker fire guns I have shot.

Back
Top Bottom