• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why do Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0's have garbage triggers?

I get that but how does H&K manage to sell MA compliant VP9s and other striker fire manufacturers in MA do the same? I have never experienced anything like the M&P trigger on any other MA compliant non-modified striker fire guns I have shot.
Exactly! I don't get it.

I get that but how does H&K manage to sell MA compliant VP9s and other striker fire manufacturers in MA do the same? I have never experienced anything like the M&P trigger on any other MA compliant non-modified striker fire guns I have shot.
No need for the mental gymnastics. SW makes sh*t products.

People can make excuses for them, but at its core, the company doesn't give a sh*t.

... change [your] mind?
Hell no. I've always been honest regarding striker fired triggers. They all suck, though some suck so much they blow.
You lookin to start a war with all the Glockettes ?
I'm good with that. I myself have a decent pile of Glocks. Great utility guns that can serve double duty as door stops or in a pinch you can throw them into a wood chipper for a super quick emergency stop. Pick them back up and they'll still shoot, plus the triggers can't get any worse.

The sensation of a Glock trigger pull (or any striker fired) is just like accidentally stepping on a mouse in your bare feet. Soft and squishy at first with increasing resistance until the final "crunch" when the skull gives way.

Last edited:
I just picked up a Smith M&P 2.0 Compact 3.6" barrel in 9mm. It wasn't in stock so I had my LGS order it for me. It arrived yesterday and the trigger is complete garbage. I measure it at 11 1/2 pounds and it is super gritty, mushy, and has the most indistinct break. We are talking double action revolver weight without any of the smoothness. I thought the 2.0 series would be an improvement over the 1.0, but I guess I was wrong.

Can someone explain why firearms such as the HK VP9 is MA compliant and has a fantastic striker fired trigger that weighs much less than 10 lbs, yet Smith who is in our backyard releases pistols with compliant triggers that are garbage?

Would you have an Apex kit installed or just get rid of it and pick up the new Shadow Systems MR920 Elite which is now MA compliant? Big price difference but nothing would need to be done to the Shadow Sys firearm.

Looking for something Glock 19 size for carry.

Thanks!

My S&W Shield Plus Optics Ready 9mm, has the best striker fired trigger out of any CCW pistol I have ever fired.

Granted my Walther PPD has a far better trigger; but it is NOT CCW size, other than winter.

I am EXTREMELY satisfied with my S&W Shields Optics Ready. A trigger job or APEX trigger isn't necessary.

MA compliant 365 has a manual safety so not really a good comparison
The 365 Custom FCU does not have a safety, so you can DIY a 365 to not suck dead donkey nuts. When I compare it to a Glerk 26, the trigger is better, imo. My dad's M&P(gen1) has an Apex trigger kit and it's better than my M&P(gen1) with the free state trigger. I chalk that up to Apex actually being able to machine (and polish!) parts.

Got it, but you're still comparing a MA compliant gun with a non MA compliant gun. Would be the same if you were comparing a free state M&P w/ a MA compliant one.
I hear you but even the MA compliant P365's (I have owned several) have much better triggers than the compliant M&P 2.0's by a huge margin.

I hear you but even the MA compliant P365's (I have owned several) have much better triggers than the compliant M&P 2.0's by a huge margin.
Yes, because they have manual safeties & free state triggers. MA compliant M&Ps have the crap 10lb ma compliant triggers & no manual safety. Free state M&P’s don’t.

Because different gun manufacturers have different attorneys. And levels of scrutiny from the AG appear brand centric. Also some manufacturers have straight up morons for attorneys like Ruger did at one point.

It's easier to just forget all this bullshit and refuse to buy compliant handguns. All you legally have to concern yourself with is mag capacity. Don't be dissuaded by MA box stores only willing to push junk.

It's right in the name. Military and Police. Aside from MA scrutiny on safeties and trigger pulls. MA State Police ran M&P 45's for years and wanted high trigger pulls (or at least their attorneys did) and so did a lot of PDs. My dad was part of the firearm training for his and multiple other PDs and they specifically wanted heavier triggers. I actually posted I believe on here a couple days ago how he shot my M&P 45 and it went off like a machine gun because he had basically never shot a pistol with a light trigger. At least for his department they literally went from long double action revolvers right to M&Ps with what felt like 15 pound triggers. Grab a real M&P 2.0 with a newer flat face trigger...

It's right in the name. Military and Police. Aside from MA scrutiny on safeties and trigger pulls. MA State Police ran M&P 45's for years and wanted high trigger pulls (or at least their attorneys did) and so did a lot of PDs. My dad was part of the firearm training for his and multiple other PDs and they specifically wanted heavier triggers. I actually posted I believe on here a couple days ago how he shot my M&P 45 and it went off like a machine gun because he had basically never shot a pistol with a light trigger. At least for his department they literally went from long double action revolvers right to M&Ps with what felt like 15 pound triggers. Grab a real M&P 2.0 with a newer flat face trigger...
My nephew was in the NYPD for a couple of years up until he moved to Florida a year or so ago. They were only allowed either M&Ps or Glocks for their or personal firearms and were required to have the PD armorer put a 12lb trigger on them. He had no clue how bad they had it until he moved to Florida

Because different gun manufacturers have different attorneys. And levels of scrutiny from the AG appear brand centric. Also some manufacturers have straight up morons for attorneys like Ruger did at one point.

Apparently so. I remember being at BassPro, I always look at the gun case even if I wouldn't buy anything there, and I heard the old dude who lives in RI and promulgates every MA gun myth there is telling someone that in MA you have to have a 12lb trigger pull OR a manual Safety to be MA Compliant. I asked about the VP9 in the case since that didn't have either. Of course they all have trigger locks on them so you can't test the trigger before buying so he stuck by his BS and the noob buying a gun from him thought he was quoting the tablets Moses brought down from the mountain.

I'll still take a shit trigger on a relatively inexpensive gun that can be easily replaced over a more expensive striker fire gun with a crap manual safety.

There's not likely many PDs in mass that use the shit default MA box store / cmr 940 trigger....

There's not likely many PDs in mass that use the shit default MA box store / cmr 940 trigger....
I documented this many years ago here on NES . . .

I bought my M&P 9 FS and M&P 45 FS as blue-label guns and both were ~15# (digital measurement) OOB!! I doubt the PD guns are any different OOB.

I had a Gen 1 M&P full size that I got almost 10 years ago to shoot IDPA. I put the Apex trigger, sear forward and DCAK kit. Cleaned everything up and made sure it was all adjusted. That was the best trigger on an M&P I've every seen. Later I added the Apex Match Barrel, Dawson Fiber Optic sights, Springer Precision magwell. Real nice M&P when I was done. I quit shooting IDPA with it in 2018 and it has been a safe queen since then.

A lot of people slam the M&P but they are good guns for what they are. Back in 2014-2018 you would see tons of people shooting them at IDPA matches. I just worked NER last weekend and we had a few shooters come through running M&Ps.
Gotta love that. Everyone buys "X" gun, and then replaces 90% of the parts to make it something completely different. Than, 6 months later they'll sell it with all of that "junk" that they like, and try to get full retail for the gun and all add-ons. [rofl]
The sensation of a Glock trigger pull (or any striker fired) is just like accidentally stepping on a mouse in your bare feet. Soft and squishy at first with increasing resistance until the final "crunch" when the skull gives way.
What's funny is that when they first came out, I loved the Glock triggers. I found them much easier to shoot than most autos at the time (DA/SA). I did much better with them. The only thing better, to me, was a 1911 with a trigger job.

Now, I've stopped using Glocks because of the grit/creep. I was OK with the original M&P's (free-state) and Sigs which I find to be better. Everyone says "Throw an aftermarket trigger" into a Glock as well, but I haven't found any that seem to improve it much, plus why add another couple of hundred onto what I've already paid?

Back
Top Bottom