Why stay?

Have to ask those of you in MA. If it is so bad down there why stay? I often wonder this and reading your responses from my post regarding my friend who might move there it surprises me that as many stick around. Not trying to start anything but I am just curious. I spent four glorious years in MA going to college but yuo couldnt make me live there for all the money in the world.

because running away never solved anything.
someone has to stay here and fight the good fight.
there are restrictions but I have a class a alp....
is there work to do? yup....but running away won't get it done.
Besides, NH and ME are on their way to more restrictions...just wait.

From talking with friend who have lived here their whole lives it's not as simple as just picking up and leaving. People have been at their jobs for long periods of time and will lose out on stock and retirement packages. Others have family that they depend on and enjoy being around often.

For me it was easy. I'm a transplant from Minnesota. My family is all back home. I was able to keep my job which I've been at for 8 years, I do however have an hour commute now.

To me moving was important because it seemed like every time I turned on the TV more Liberal BS was being forced down my throat. I honestly couldn't take it anymore.

Every night when I cross the border in to NH it feels like a lead blanket has been lifted off of my shoulders. It's a pretty awesome feeling.

ETA: after reading sks's post. I am still a member of GOAL, I still give lots of money to GOAL, and I will continue to do everything in my power to fight for the rights of gun owners in MA.

I was born and raised here. I called MA home long before I ever picked up a firearm. I went to college here, I have a good job here. My fiancee, although from VA, likes the area and has a good job here. Although we both would like to move North our current plans put it either about 10 years away or many many years until we retire.

Her perspective on firearms in a lot of ways is refreshing. She's neither pro gun or anti gun. Where she is from some people have guns some don't, it's just how it is. Guns just aren't a political issue at all. Wouldn't that be nice? The only down side is that because guns are not a political issue they don't effect how she votes, and she's a democrat.

edit to add: Almost all my family and friends are in MA. A Res LTC is a lot cheaper than a non res.

Last edited:
I'll be the first person to tell people NOT to move here, and if they
HAVE to for some reason, to move to a green town.

The only reason I haven't moved out yet is my housing
arrangement... What I have is currently in the realm of a "very
good deal". I'm still looking at rolling it over in the next few
years or so. I want to do a few improvements to the house to
make it a bit more viable. My long term goal is to be out of MA
by the time my next LTC expires, worst case. Hopefully it will
be a lot sooner than that.

If I was living in rental property in MA I would have moved out to
someplace in NH already, more than a year or two ago.

I think most folks who have decided to stay in MA have done so
because of overriding factors..... and because they've managed
to retain an LTC-A/ALP, which, at least for a few seconds every
now and then, allows one to delude themselves into believing
"it's not so bad". If one is resourceful enough, you can usually
legally circumvent 98% of the crappy laws in MA (eg, the handgun
compliance crap, AWB (by getting prebans) etc.

Sometimes people have things which end up being more important,
or at least equal to, their ability to own guns and their personal
freedom. There are a lot of competing factors involved.
It's also rare that, if one is a homeowner, that it will not -cost- you
money to move. That can be quite a big chunk of change,
especially if your existing property is only equal to the one you
want to buy, or is worth -less- money.

Even with all the overhead, however, a lot of us who are staying
put for the moment have drawn up plans or at least thought about
how we could eventually escape! (Myself included).

-Mike

Mrs. G. doesn't want to move.

Since I have a better chance of sprouting wings and flying to Pluto than of getting custody in a divorce, staying in MA is preferable to losing my kids.

'Nuff said?

Have to ask those of you in MA. If it is so bad down there why stay? I often wonder this and reading your responses from my post regarding my friend who might move there it surprises me that as many stick around. Not trying to start anything but I am just curious. I spent four glorious years in MA going to college but yuo couldnt make me live there for all the money in the world.

Right now rent for me is $175 a month, add in heat, electricity, and gas then my cost is about $250. That is the only reason that I am staying here for now. That and being unemployed puts me in a situation that moving out of MA has slowed me down by a large amount.

If/ when I hear back from a few schools I may be moving out of here in a few months. If I hear back from them.

Inertia mostly. Even though my parents are from Texas and Oklahoma, I was born here. I've spent my whole life here. My job is 10 minutes down the road.

Besides, if we keep the fascists and their pet morons (a.k.a. sheeple, useful idiots, etc.) busy on their home turf, maybe they won't be so hot to try exporting their brand of trouble to other states.

John.

Our master plan is to stay in Ma. and slowly send all the Bunny Huggin, Tree Smoochin, Liberal Dems your way, and in case you have not looked around in NH or Maine lately it is working.. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha...

If I was single with no children, no mortgage and a job somewhere else I would move in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I have two kids in college, I'm 56 and locked into a Boston job (nobody beats down your looking to hire people at my age I promise) and stuck with a condo that wouldn't sell in five years if I gave it away.

That's why[sad2]

Every night when I cross the border in to NH it feels like a lead blanket has been lifted off of my shoulders. It's a pretty awesome feeling.

That is the best feeling in the world, we get it every time we go to NH or VT. We always knew the feel but others didn't seem to understand it.

For the wife and me it is about money. At some point in the hopefully near future we will be able to get everything under control and head to NH. But for now we live in a green town and put up with things like the AWB[angry2]. Really make it a pain in the ass.

Coastie, I think you need to turn the question around and ask those of us in ME and NH "If liberal-type gun laws were enacted overnight in your state, would you pack up and move?".

My answer to that would probably be no. I can't imagine living anywhere else. I would stay and fight to repeal said laws.

I think that scenario of MA-type gun laws being enacted here has a snowball's chance in hell.

Family, friends, school.

Hey did I tell you guys that after graduating top in his class for criminal justice at Mass Bay, he got into Tufts? So we'll be here for a while as he finishes his degree.

A few reasons:

1 - Mrs Dwarven1's career is in Cambridge - she's been working on the same program for longer than we've been married.

2 - I picked up and moved once already, from NJ to MA - I've spent 20 years making friends here in MA.

2a - My mother Lodge is in Grafton - I'd miss all my Brothers from Franklin Lodge if I moved. Not sure I'd want to drive to Grafton from NH every month for Lodge.

So it all comes down to people, really.

Last edited:
Well the family is number 1 I take care of mom and indirectly my grandmother, and we (the Loud/Richardson familys) have been in mass since the pilgrams landed (Richardson side for sure) I love my part of the state (western mass) cannot stomach the states politics and Happy valley BS where I work. I have 22 years into the state retirement system.

It is hard to leave but we will one day. Most likly after mom passes and I sell the two houses that the family built over 200 years ago. but we hope before then. I made a promise to My Father Before he died to take care of his ladies and I damn sure will keep that promise till I die.

People who fled Nazi Germany while they still could are seen as prudent, wise, and lucky. They are never seen as cowards or quitters or deserters. For anyone who is staying, even if it is only partly because you are afraid it isn't courageous to stay and tough it out, please consider.

[troll]

I personally can't wait to leave the state. Not just because of guns, either, but because of the cost of living. I've changed residences at least a half dozen times in my life already, including outside the US, so I have no trouble moving to a new place. I also figure better to get out early while I'm not trapped in by work/school.

Last edited:
Derek hit the nail on the head, at least for me. I'm 28 years into a career and hope to be able to retire with full benefits in a few years. My mother and mother in law are elderly and my wife and I are the people who end up helping them the most.

Once I retire and our mothers don't need our help, we'll consider moving. We were both born here and have lived here all of our lives. However, that won't keep us here when retirement time comes. We are both fed up with the liberal politicians and PC BS.

Gary

My life doesn't revolve around guns & politics. In spite of all the bitching and moaning, Boston/Watertown is a wonderful place to live.

I have an affordable home which meets all my living space requirements, in a prime location in a safe neighborhood. I have a 15 minute commute to a good job.

I live with a very special lady, and when she gets on my nerves, my best friend lives a half mile up the road.

I have a mechanic I trust two miles from my home, and a doctor I trust one mile from my office.

I live a mile outside of Boston city limits, a city filled with history, culture, nightlife.

When I moved here from California 6 years ago, I remember standing on the curb outside Logan with $50 in my pocket and a driver's license, and that was it. I didn't have much of anything, and more important, I didn't have anyone. I've worked very hard to build the life I have here. And yes, it's not perfect. But it's damn close, and I'm not about to throw it away and start over again because I want to buy a certain gun or cut a few thousand dollars off my tax bill.

Besides, part of the joy of living in MA is getting to complain about it.

1. Family/elderly parents
2. Jobs
3. 1 kid starting college another still in HS
4. Roots

We make the most of it. I can't say that we're miserable here.

I'd be gone in the morning if I could be. But, My lovely wife the warden does not want to uproot the youngins and start again elsewhere. I've been trying to talk her into letting buy a Condo in N.H and live there during the week. Make that my permanent address and then just come home on the weekends........

She's not to hip on that either....LOL

2a - My mother Lodge is in Grafton - I'd miss all my Brothers from Franklin Lodge if I moved. Not sure I'd want to drive to Grafton from NH every month for Lodge.

My Grafton Connection is I was born there as was my father, Grandfather, Great Grand father, and GG Grandfather. My mother is still there.

I have roots very deep in MA but that is not the reason I stay. I have my own business and do not want to have to start all over again somewhere else building a reputation and customer base. It is too much work.

I really do not like where I live, but you have to give to get.

I sacrificed my NH freedom when my mother passed away in 2003 and I moved to MAss to be closer to my sister and father to centralize the family. But, you can bet when the time comes, I'll take my inheritance and home equity and I'll be out of here so fast that I'll be posting about it on here long after the event took place.

People who fled Nazi Germany while they still could are seen as prudent, wise, and lucky. They are never seen as cowards or quitters or deserters. For anyone who is staying, even if it is only partly because you are afraid it isn't courageous to stay and tough it out, please consider.

[troll]

While it may seem the same sometimes, your reference to Nazi Germany does not fly. Unless you want to consider that if the people who left Germany had stayed and fought Hitler, history might have been different.

But for that, the responses seem to be more along the line about reasons people stay instead of insulting those who choose to leave. I am staying for the time being for many of the stated reasons. Family (an elderly mother), job prospects (News Shooter is right on about job opportunities for older folks), and a strong urge to try to turn this around.

What would have happened if the residents around Concord and Lexington had given up without a fight?

Back
Top Bottom