Widely varying Neck Tension when reloading .223

dcmdon

NES Member
Hi all. I've got something that concerns me. I'm not actually sure its a problem yet, but am interested in people's thoughts.

I've been reloading pistols for years and am pretty familiar with it. But I've just started reloading bottle necked cartridges.

The equipment I'm using at this point is:

rcbs case trimmer
Dillon dies in .223
Lee classic cast turret
brass - mixed range pickup that has been cleaned
Primers CCI

So my process, per instruction from a friend who is a pretty experienced reloader is to:

clean
full length resize/decap
trim case to length
On press
prime
powder drop
seat bullet

No crimp

My first indication that something strange is happening is that when I trim (after resizing) the pilot is sometimes snug into the case neck and sometimes it goes in easy. This surprises me since the case mouth sizer on the dillon die contacts the inside of the case mouth last. I can also feel the difference when seating the bullet.

One thing I have NOT yet figured out is if the difference in tension is consistent with different head stamps. If the brass on one brand is thicker than on another, then this could help account for the difference. I should figure that out, I realize that, but I don't have that data point yet.

The OD of the neck sizer on the Dillon die is only .217. Is this right? is it supposed to be undersized like that? I'm assuming yes, but input is appreciated.

So anyway, neck tension would seem to be an important thing to have consistent if you want to make accurate ammo. I'm clearly not getting consistency here.

Don

Do you have the correct expander ball in your sizing die? The expander ball is the 'nut' that holds the decapping pin to the mandrel, and it is sized according to caliber. You should feel a period of resistance when you're pulling the sized case out of the die as the expander passes through the neck.

Ideally, when the brass comes out of your sizing die, the inside diameter of all of the necks should be the same, and it should be about 0.002"-0.003" smaller than the bullet diameter. Simply sizing the case from the outside with the sizing die body will not accomplish this, because cases from different manufacturers have differing thicknesses.

To account for this, the die manufacturers intentionally make the body of the sizing die so that it will undersize the case necks. As you pull the case out of the sizing die, the expander ball is drawn back through the neck, which increases the inside diameter of the neck back out to where it should be.

If you resize your rifle brass with the expander removed (or with the wrong expander), your necks will be undersized, and the inside diameter will vary with case wall thickness. This usually happens when someone gets 'creative' and decaps first with a universal decapping die, then resizes using the sizing die with the decapping assembly removed.

Thanks for the reply.

Eddie,

The expander ball measured .217 with my cheapie chinese digital caliber. I'll check it with a Brown and Sharpe micrometer later today to confirm.

It is the expander/decapper that came with my dillon .223 dies.

.217 sounds out of spec. Right?

Yes. Measuring the widest part of the ball. I'm using the thick section of the caliper jaw so I don't have to locate it within a thousandth to get the right reading. I'll check with a micrometer when I get home. I'm pretty confident it will mic out at the same .217. I've measured the caliper against the mic before and they always agreed.

Thanks for your help. Were we living in a normal world, a phone call to DP would get me a new ball/stem in the mail in 2 days. Since the panic, I've found that email is the best way to contact DP. I sent them an email with a question about a minor problem I was having with my case feeder presenting cases upside down and clogging with 9mm. They sent me about $120 worth of parts without even getting back to me and a note to change everything. They are not bothering with diagnosis. Just throwing money at the problem to keep people happy.

Don

Last edited:
Just checked the expander ball with my ye olde schoole Brown and Sharpe Mic and its definitely .217.

I sent a message to DP stating this asking for guidance. I'm expecting a package with 15 expanding balls/decapers to show up by next week.

I'll report back once they come in.

Thanks for your help.

Don

Back
Top Bottom