Winter Warrior 2020 - 2021 Postal Match for Iron Sight Military Rifles

Shooting from the bench OK. Rem 513T was at times issued by Uncle Sam, no? Trail Boss loads in a Mauser?

I'd like to keep it iron sight rifles on SR1 or SR targets for sake of equivalency. Maybe sniper thing for another day. If you want to shoot pistols, why not start a Milsurp Pistol postal match on the forum? I'd shoot my .32 Colt 1903 so everyone can laugh at how many misses.
i have a few foreign options for pistol.

I know it doesn’t count, but the rear sight got moved last time I used it, and I wasn’t even on paper. Started at 50 yards on target 1, then moved to 100. First shot was the X on target 2🙂. Only target that got 10 rounds. I don’t get much practice with the Garand, so I’m off. Had trouble picking a front sight picture. Last 2 rang the Gong. 5/1944 Winchester, Danish return. The modified butt pad was perfect for me; 6 enblocs, no pain.

Don’t know about winter shooting. I get cold very easily since my heart attack- blood thinners- and that I’ve also lost 70 pounds of insulation.
t
8693AEA1-7658-4624-81C6-F5967113FA09.jpeg

Last edited:
I know it doesn’t count, but the rear sight got moved last time I used it, and I wasn’t even on paper. Started at 50 yards on target 1, then moved to 100. First shot was the X on target 2🙂. Only target that got 10 rounds. I don’t get much practice with the Garand, so I’m off. Had trouble picking a front sight picture. Last 2 rang the Gong. 5/1944 Winchester, Danish return. The modified butt pad was perfect; 6 enblocs, no pain.

Don’t know about winter shooting. I get cold very easily since my heart attack- blood thinners- and that I’ve also lost 70 pounds of insulation.
t
View attachment 408242
Nice grouping on that top right target. Move it to center and it would be a solid score.

How's your eyesight? If that front sight is a little fuzzy, try some +0.5 cheap readers and some sight black (Bic works in a pinch). Might cut the vertical stringing way down. I've made some adjustments to cut down on the vertical stringing, seems to be helping.

Also 10 rounds on 4. Having trouble with my eyes at the moment. Exam early next year. Had trouble with the peep and setting the sight base/wings in the window in a constant position.

Considering it didn't hit paper in June, I'm happy.

t

I should probably stick with my Garand, but kind of like the idea of using the 1917, 1903 or 1903-A3. Be fun to figure out a cast load with the 117gr. gas checked .308 bullets I was gifted....

For me, dusting off some milsurps I have not shot in a while is a big part of the fun. You don't have to waste a lot of shots if you don't want to. Don't like your first couple of shots? Scratch that target and start over on a new one. First on my list is the Finn Mosin, but not until there is snow on the ground.

4EFe8gicalH-3tq_H41CX6Cj03mEwUXVIlgBkZh-YAA7M65xC2DkV8-ClgdMGxL2bNqkI_TEgOgPZ25dbbit-fBP3_3yuED_lpNBnZ7YM5aYIfu3KlXKRVQs9-GPbcy6KfcZsi70XVFETUzc4MKneVw2LY20n0v9ScDH4GjtvUWSS6-boSBxe1ekYkAuS2OuEJ6qACd5R8XRBEJp71pFZXU8XHhsGGf87jHJt8G4pldtfrS1yrC7rxMxKNl3YrmIONIoVAT2i4PcaIsjKuvGrOCRkftbjM1wE6jqIIpFveyZCOsdi_Bwg8cZ4JcTDTA

For me, dusting off some milsurps I have not shot in a while is a big part of the fun. You don't have to waste a lot of shots if you don't want to. Don't like your first couple of shots? Scratch that target and start over on a new one. First on my list is the Finn Mosin, but not until there is snow on the ground.

4EFe8gicalH-3tq_H41CX6Cj03mEwUXVIlgBkZh-YAA7M65xC2DkV8-ClgdMGxL2bNqkI_TEgOgPZ25dbbit-fBP3_3yuED_lpNBnZ7YM5aYIfu3KlXKRVQs9-GPbcy6KfcZsi70XVFETUzc4MKneVw2LY20n0v9ScDH4GjtvUWSS6-boSBxe1ekYkAuS2OuEJ6qACd5R8XRBEJp71pFZXU8XHhsGGf87jHJt8G4pldtfrS1yrC7rxMxKNl3YrmIONIoVAT2i4PcaIsjKuvGrOCRkftbjM1wE6jqIIpFveyZCOsdi_Bwg8cZ4JcTDTA

My plan this year is to run the gauntlet with my Finn Mosins to start....M91, M27, M28, M39 etc. Once I do that maybe, for kicks, I'll dig out some rifles that I don't shoot too often....assuming the weather cooperates lol

Well screwed that up. Put a new tall sight in my shooter K98, but forgot the hood pliers and a file. Needed 550m on the rear sight to get black. Will have to come back. Was primarily concerned with windage. Getting it ready for the shoot.
t
F1AD7B56-1ACF-4722-B862-53E80AB5BE89.jpeg

You know it's almost Christmas and Santa is watching...

We haven't seen you at OCSA in a coon's age- maybe we should let you shoot from 25.

LOL
Somewhat coincidentally, the zipper on my hoodie I bought for my first OCSA match broke yesterday. Maybe it's a sign?

I'm aware of that, but they aren't really "iron" though, nor "traditional." I should have been a bit clearer. I'm not sure they'd be great at a precision-style match like this, either.

It would be a big test of the honor system for people to trust I wasn't using the optic!
Dont worry "we" will DQ you if you have a threatening score.....
Let me be the first to post my Unofficial, disqualifying low score.
So sometimes when 1/4 moa is deep in your brain and you switch rifles.....
My cmp modern mil AR...which has 1/2 moa windage and 1 moa elevation Soooo, a gross over correction was made X4!

2E6C1FB3-42C9-46B7-BC28-24C9884CC784.jpeg

Last edited:
LOL no need to cheat. Fabulous prizes by random drawing per entry. High score only for bragging rights.

So far what I'm planning for fabulous prizes is a set of Aggressive Engineering M1 enbloc clips including a 2 round, 8 round, and a Single Load 'sled'. 2 and 8 will be tumbled to work smoothly and may or may not have a couple uses. Sled will be BNIB. Also including a Battle Arms Development M1A / M1 combo gas cylinder lock wrench BNIB. I have one and like it. Don't have a M1 nor M1A? Get one. Get both! Otherwise feel free to give to a friend or be one of the NES cool kids and give the schwag away in a karma- preferably to someone participating in this postal match.

998298.jpg
367777.jpg

It's cold enough to do a target right now but my MA club is effectively closed for police training. Next week it looks like it'll be too warm although I have the week off. I will probably spend some time doing some reloading so I can start cranking out entries through the end of the year.

If I am lucky the L1A1 will get here in time as well.

Yeah, it was 17 here last night and 24 right now.

Your range closed just for the day? How many days per year closed for training? Sorry to drift- I'm the contact for LEO to use my club's range for training and just comparing notes.

It's cold enough to do a target right now but my MA club is effectively closed for police training. Next week it looks like it'll be too warm although I have the week off. I will probably spend some time doing some reloading so I can start cranking out entries through the end of the year.

If I am lucky the L1A1 will get here in time as well.

Arrive at 3 and you'll be good to go with more than an hour of light left. They're gone by then if its the same club as mine where there is PD training today too.

Arrive at 3 and you'll be good to go with more than an hour of light left. They're gone by then if its the same club as mine where there is PD training today too.
In years past I've gone regardless of the reservation. One time the PD was still there past 3:30, so I used the indoor pistol range instead, that was usually my backup. I think the outdoor pistol range is open, too. But, I'm trying to conserve pistol ammo (I could load some Makarov ammo, though). Both my 22lr pistols require gunsmith intervention (bad brick of 22lr has jacked both up).

More than once I went with the expectation of having to go indoors, but the various PDs were already long gone (or maybe skipped that day despite having the reservation?).

I go on my lunch break, and 3 PM is pushing it a bit, haha. I'd get back to the office at about 4, then leave the office at 5!
I took next week off from work so I might do my NH club, although for these postals ASC is a better venue.

In years past I've gone regardless of the reservation. One time the PD was still there past 3:30, so I used the indoor pistol range instead, that was usually my backup. I think the outdoor pistol range is open, too. But, I'm trying to conserve pistol ammo (I could load some Makarov ammo, though). Both my 22lr pistols require gunsmith intervention (bad brick of 22lr has jacked both up).

I bet today with it being so cold they're gonna clear out before 3. I'm only 10 mins away so its not a big deal if I go and they are still using it but sounds like you've got a bit longer trip.

I bet today with it being so cold they're gonna clear out before 3. I'm only 10 mins away so its not a big deal if I go and they are still using it but sounds like you've got a bit longer trip.
Nah, I'm about 5 mins away when at the office. I can usually guess how many people are there before I even start the drive based on what I hear :)

However, it requires loading up the truck in the morning. Maybe I'll roll the dice tomorrow.

Nah, I'm about 5 mins away when at the office. I can usually guess how many people are there before I even start the drive based on what I hear :)

However, it requires loading up the truck in the morning. Maybe I'll roll the dice tomorrow.

Oh nice! Tomorrow sounds like it'll be nearly 60 so I plan to be there when they clear out.

When my Garand gets here I will participate! Sent in 5 weeks ago and haven't received confirmation or a credit card charge yet.
I waited four months for my first to ship, so cool your jets!

Also looks like there's a chance of snow on Sunday, but unlikely:
1606842681498.png

Back
Top Bottom