• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winter Warrior 2020 - 2021 Postal Match for Iron Sight Military Rifles

I may need to open up the weather criteria for an entry. Global Warming Winter Warrior? Seems that we are going to have another La Niña winter, with temperatures all over the map and rain here and there to wash away any snow. My goal was to promote iron sight military type / milsurp shooting in winter conditions. So far those conditions have been elusive.

Before bailing out on the concept and changing the contest to Winter Wussy, I'll check the 10-day forecast end of this week.

Yeah, it was 17 here last night and 24 right now.

Your range closed just for the day? How many days per year closed for training? Sorry to drift- I'm the contact for LEO to use my club's range for training and just comparing notes.
Totally missed this question, sorry. They were closed M-F for four weeks out of five to two different PDs, two weeks each I think. It's usually 9 AM to 3 PM on the calendar. Autumn is pretty popular probably due to the weather, but a few days/weeks during the summer is common as well. Usually a PD has it for a week or two, but sometimes only 2-3 days. The biggest drag is that some PDs don't clean up after themselves.

The timing is particularly an issue for me, since I shoot there on my lunch break during the week. Over the course of a year I shoot there probably 3x-4x times more than my NH club.

I may need to open up the weather criteria for an entry. Global Warming Winter Warrior? Seems that we are going to have another La Niña winter, with temperatures all over the map and rain here and there to wash away any snow. My goal was to promote iron sight military type / milsurp shooting in winter conditions. So far those conditions have been elusive.

Before bailing out on the concept and changing the contest to Winter Wussy, I'll check the 10-day forecast end of this week.

I'd hold off. This is the winter shoot and we've barely made it into winter yet. It'll get cold come Jan/Feb. Best time to shoot.

Winter starts dec 21
Maybe someone can start a Any gun Any sights Any waether shoot, best of the month bragging rights?
I have a old AR sniper to run
E403D1D6-C78E-4729-92FC-439D20BDD769.jpeg

Winter starts dec 21
Maybe someone can start a Any gun Any sights Any waether shoot, best of the month bragging rights?
I have a old AR sniper to run
View attachment 418226

Yeah, looks like temps are getting back to the typical range for this time of year. I'll drop the idea for Winter Wussy rules. [laugh]

I'd be in for a 'any rifle' postal match / thread if someone wants to tackle that. Those of us with AR's like yours will get our asses kicked by anyone with a Savage F-class but it would be fun and an excuse to shoot the 6.5 ManBun.

Yeah, looks like temps are getting back to the typical range for this time of year. I'll drop the idea for Winter Wussy rules. [laugh]

I'd be in for a 'any rifle' postal match / thread if someone wants to tackle that. Those of us with AR's like yours will get our asses kicked by anyone with a Savage F-class but it would be fun and an excuse to shoot the 6.5 ManBun.
maybe restrict it to milsurp based bubba sporter/snipers and ARs?
Juzt some tips.

Pretty nice day out there folks, and most of us still have some snow on the ground.

I'd have posted an entry this weekend but was shooting a match so that's my excuse...

So here's my first official (yet ineligible cuz my postal match) entry. What better way to make fresh tracks in deep snow than with a Finn M39:

H4JPm5G.jpg

ZEj1daJ.jpg

100-6X, almost 7X.

This is a VKT M39 with an original wartime stock. Stock is pretty chewed up but hot damn can this thing shoot. This came from that big shipment of M39's in containers that Classic was hawking. Needless to say it's appearance fell WAY short of their description, but a shooter is a shooter.

Loads are some old Chinese surplus that @mac1911 gave to me in an overstuffed ziplok. ;)

So here's my first official (yet ineligible cuz my postal match) entry. What better way to make fresh tracks in deep snow than with a Finn M39:

H4JPm5G.jpg

ZEj1daJ.jpg

100-6X, almost 7X.

This is a VKT M39 with an original wartime stock. Stock is pretty chewed up but hot damn can this thing shoot. This came from that big shipment of M39's in containers that Classic was hawking. Needless to say it's appearance fell WAY short of their description, but a shooter is a shooter.

Loads are some old Chinese surplus that @mac1911 gave to me in an overstuffed ziplok. ;)
i had some norinco 223 silver box , that shot well also. Also shot a bunch of chinese 22 ammo in the 80s.
i dont think i have any of the chinese 22lr left but I still have some Junoir Russian stuff. Maybe i will ran that through my M1 carbine clone in 22lr for fun at 100 yards.

72/100 , 1X , 2 Miss
K98 shot local 100 yard cmp match
Ammunition - 200 grain Noslers with Varget
Off hand
EAF83890-AEDE-4EED-AA1F-8E337372AEE4.jpeg

I wanted to use my slow fire prone sighter for this but the picture did not come out. It was not much better.
Actually I think it was worse because of the MR 51 target.
Of course I did not count my rounds and came up 10 rounds short so with about 15 misses total my over all score was very very low

i can not explain my misses, if I called anything my widest call was a 8 low center.

Last edited:
we had ice on the line today and my shooting mat was stuck to it for a bit

Still pretty good snow cover. We really didn't lose any from the last storm plus another inch or more today.

I'm off all week. Excepting some small Christmas errands I'm free to reload and shoot. Normally I'd be skiing every day but covid delayed knee surgery = delayed ski racing start. So making the best of it and catching up on reloads, getting lots of offhand practice at the Leominster matches, and maybe just maybe will go to the Talladega 600 in January.

man you missed that boat-----those where so cheap not long ago! Almost did one but that M1a build got in the way

There are still some very cheap M31 parts kits. The trick is building a receiver. There are 80% receiver blanks but they are for a modified smaller diameter semi bolt. Looks like everyone is out of stock on those. Seems like one of the OCSA guys has one with a standard bolt modified to semi? Then you need to make a full dia receiver. Some welding involved too? Tig would be the only way to go, so more $$$ for that as I don't know anyone to help out with that part. Cheap kit but expensive rabbit hole.

The receiver is a piece of DOM tubing. The bolt started as an auto, but I reduced the diameter and added a firing pin down the center. I could have kept the bolt full diameter but would have had to install some kind of denial bar.

Gotcha. sent a PM- this intrigues me.

H4JPm5G.jpg

ZEj1daJ.jpg

100-6X, almost 7X.

Damn fine shooting sir. I've been wanting to get out to the range now that we have snow on the ground, but life has been crazy lately. Hopefully there'll still be some snow this weekend when I get some free time

Back
Top Bottom