• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winter Warrior 2021-2022 Postal Match for Iron Sight Military Rifles

Do you think that stringing was you or something going on with the stock and heat? Still nice.
I hope the 125 tht work as well for me as I bought a lot.
That was me.

I don't shoot these wood rifles enough, so I am always struggling with cheek weld, which results in what you see above....

Plus, I was also at the range to zero in my newly re-barreled service rifle upper this for this season, so going from shooting an AR15 optic service rifle to 1903A3 irons...

The target that has more stringing (2nd pic) was the first target, I got more comfortable with the second target.

Made it out Wednesday with an M1a and my latest Garand. Pics tell the story...that is if I could post. Need a new MacBookPro as it's not playing well with the new iPhone...
6 targets and can't put them up, sh!t...ETA: Here are pics from the 9th. The 3rd target HAS 10 shots but took away 10 cause I can't see 10 holes...anyway...

Attachments

• 016AF906-FD55-465A-86D9-D5BB3621EAF5.jpeg
    016AF906-FD55-465A-86D9-D5BB3621EAF5.jpeg
    459.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 57C687BC-CA0A-4A80-972C-779C51C0E803.jpeg
    57C687BC-CA0A-4A80-972C-779C51C0E803.jpeg
    413.8 KB · Views: 3
  • DD1A2207-9E42-4C34-8DF9-52630DD07FDF.jpeg
    DD1A2207-9E42-4C34-8DF9-52630DD07FDF.jpeg
    457 KB · Views: 3
  • 2F329A45-8BF1-4BB0-B914-5C0207892571.jpeg
    2F329A45-8BF1-4BB0-B914-5C0207892571.jpeg
    463.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 67D1DC27-C256-420F-9263-F7EA17028224.jpeg
    67D1DC27-C256-420F-9263-F7EA17028224.jpeg
    481.5 KB · Views: 3
  • B9E95F62-B976-445E-9107-85D231B9F330.jpeg
    B9E95F62-B976-445E-9107-85D231B9F330.jpeg
    436.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 1C59106F-A954-48BA-8DF4-49C52D8FB322.jpeg
    1C59106F-A954-48BA-8DF4-49C52D8FB322.jpeg
    605.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 31D89FB3-B17C-44AD-AB64-81A422EA5A88.jpeg
    31D89FB3-B17C-44AD-AB64-81A422EA5A88.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Might be able to get out next Saturday and punch holes in targets. I need to see how the 03A3 shoots after working on it to settle down in the new Minelli stock. May have to punt and have a pro do it, with a tight chamber Criterion barrel. We'll see...

Might be able to get out next Saturday and punch holes in targets. I need to see how the 03A3 shoots after working on it to settle down in the new Minelli stock. May have to punt and have a pro do it, with a tight chamber Criterion barrel. We'll see...
...I know this Italian guy...

Are the action screws loosening up as you shoot?
Most mauser actions can be picky about how tight and how you tighten the action screws.

Are the action screws loosening up as you shoot?
Most mauser actions can be picky about how tight and how you tighten the action screws.
No, I've been through the action screw adjustments. 35 in/lbs front, tight enough to hold rear; both at 35, front at RFT, both RFT, you name it.

Barrel appears to be off index. Wonder if CMP would fix it for free? I have to move rear sight way to the right. I'll check under the handguard in case there are any witness marks to reference, but for now I have it all together to attempt shooting again. Looks like rain on Saturday, but range is covered so I'll probably go anyway unless I can sneak out for lunch this week. We still have frozen shit here and there.

I finally got the 1941 USMC sniper shooting decently but it took an original C-stock to get there. Didn't have to pay stupid money for that stock but it was not cheap. Not going to do that for the 03A3. It shoots AOK, just not where I want a match gun to shoot and right now the 1903 National Match outshoots it.

No, I've been through the action screw adjustments. 35 in/lbs front, tight enough to hold rear; both at 35, front at RFT, both RFT, you name it.

Barrel appears to be off index. Wonder if CMP would fix it for free? I have to move rear sight way to the right. I'll check under the handguard in case there are any witness marks to reference, but for now I have it all together to attempt shooting again. Looks like rain on Saturday, but range is covered so I'll probably go anyway unless I can sneak out for lunch this week. We still have frozen shit here and there.

I finally got the 1941 USMC sniper shooting decently but it took an original C-stock to get there. Didn't have to pay stupid money for that stock but it was not cheap. Not going to do that for the 03A3. It shoots AOK, just not where I want a match gun to shoot and right now the 1903 National Match outshoots it.
Yeah that dick dance with the action screws are a pita. Old f*** at Hanson showed me a little way to get where it meeds to be. Basically its finger tight . Tap the recoil plate on the bench to set the stock back then One full turn of the action screws front first. Shoot it. See if screws came loose (mark them some how) then 1/4 turn shoot a group . Your groups will change a bit. Then he just backs off the rear screw 1/2 turn and sees if anything changed.
With new wood stocks 35in lbs seems pretty much the notm.
When I played with the 10/22 torque I was a bit surprised just how much 5inlb would change and or shift impact.

And finally on the 14th, using one of the two Garands I shoot in the matches at Pembroke...pics out of order. Had it apart to clean and figured the M2 ball would seat the action in the stock quicker, meh.

Attachments

• C977ED1D-2BB5-45FC-98D6-7D5B7028E9B8.jpeg
    C977ED1D-2BB5-45FC-98D6-7D5B7028E9B8.jpeg
    463.9 KB · Views: 5
  • D742CD18-E306-429E-A56B-99553E129521.jpeg
    D742CD18-E306-429E-A56B-99553E129521.jpeg
    606 KB · Views: 5
  • 284DE7D0-3D19-4FBC-B97C-E2EC1555C1D0.jpeg
    284DE7D0-3D19-4FBC-B97C-E2EC1555C1D0.jpeg
    478 KB · Views: 5
  • FC089AFA-3C89-4734-B878-9CF2B990419C.jpeg
    FC089AFA-3C89-4734-B878-9CF2B990419C.jpeg
    515.5 KB · Views: 4
  • E9A08438-E914-484B-A418-21727462D7F4.jpeg
    E9A08438-E914-484B-A418-21727462D7F4.jpeg
    481 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Yeah that dick dance with the action screws are a pita. Old f*** at Hanson showed me a little way to get where it meeds to be. Basically its finger tight . Tap the recoil plate on the bench to set the stock back then One full turn of the action screws front first. Shoot it. See if screws came loose (mark them some how) then 1/4 turn shoot a group . Your groups will change a bit. Then he just backs off the rear screw 1/2 turn and sees if anything changed.
With new wood stocks 35in lbs seems pretty much the notm.
When I played with the 10/22 torque I was a bit surprised just how much 5inlb would change and or shift impact.
Can I ask about the 10/22 torque? I bought a new target model and have been less than impressed with the accuracy using CCI SV. I have maybe 150 rounds thru and it seems to be getting better.

Can I ask about the 10/22 torque? I bought a new target model and have been less than impressed with the accuracy using CCI SV. I have maybe 150 rounds thru and it seems to be getting better.
The screw that holds the stock on, play with the torque. I also wedged some brass shim at the rear of the stock/receiver contact.
If its a stock rifle 1” at 50 yards is a good one.
I think ruger was misleading with the “target” model . I feel it was geared more to the steel challenge type.
Light weight , sorta heavy trigger 2.5lbs

I think if ruger was serious they would have a minimum of 2 action screws (rear lug) 18-20” heavy bull barrel and provisions for match sights. Then a nice adjustable trigger maybe down to 1lb ?

Last edited:
And finally on the 14th, using one of the two Garands I shoot in the matches at Pembroke...pics out of order. Had it apart to clean and figured the M2 ball would seat the action in the stock quicker, meh.
Nice. You going to make some matches this season? I never had much luck with 125's out of a Garand. Will try them in the 03A3 once I sort that out.

CCI SV is great for practice and general use, but IMHO no substitute for match ammo. Also you might need a custom barrel and match trigger if you really want the accuracy. Regarding triggers, pre internet days I bought some Volquartsen guts for my 10/22 build. Did some stoning and polishing, ended up great for short change. Recently replaced with a Kidd trigger and lever mag release and I think I like the old trigger better.

Maybe next winter I do a "Winter Skinflint Warrior" postal match for 22's only? Maybe not- perhaps the waxy coatings on most 22 bullets will have a problem in sub 10 degree weather, maybe the 10/22 will be wonky as well. I'll have to at least check it out next year. I've shot the M1 several times in below zero weather and once at minus 7 degrees.

The screw that holds the stock on, play with the torque. I also wedged some brass shim at the rear of the stock/receiver contact.
If its a stock rifle 1” at 50 yards is a good one.
I think ruger was misleading with the “target” model . I feel it was geared more to the steel challenge type.
Light weight , sorta heavy trigger 2.5lbs

I think if ruger was serious they would have a minimum of 2 action screws (rear lug) 18-20” heavy bull barrel and provisions for match sights. Then a nice adjustable trigger maybe down to 1lb ?
The one I got has the heavy bull barrel and laminated stock. I think I'll shoot it some more and then play with the torque, get some RWS, 10x see how it goes...

Nice. You going to make some matches this season? I never had much luck with 125's out of a Garand. Will try them in the 03A3 once I sort that out.

CCI SV is great for practice and general use, but IMHO no substitute for match ammo. Also you might need a custom barrel and match trigger if you really want the accuracy. Regarding triggers, pre internet days I bought some Volquartsen guts for my 10/22 build. Did some stoning and polishing, ended up great for short change. Recently replaced with a Kidd trigger and lever mag release and I think I like the old trigger better.

Maybe next winter I do a "Winter Skinflint Warrior" postal match for 22's only? Maybe not- perhaps the waxy coatings on most 22 bullets will have a problem in sub 10 degree weather, maybe the 10/22 will be wonky as well. I'll have to at least check it out next year. I've shot the M1 several times in below zero weather and once at minus 7 degrees.
Hand surgery March 25, might not be able to shoot the first match, should be able for May though. I'll try and show up regardless if I can.
I like the idea for "Winter Skinflint Warrior" match...we get a good and cold day before too long and I'll go see how CCI SV runs in the 10/22. I have a Model 52 I'd like to take out as well.

The one I got has the heavy bull barrel and laminated stock. I think I'll shoot it some more and then play with the torque, get some RWS, 10x see how it goes...
Is it the aluminum sleeved barrel ?
SK standard plus is a good middle ground of good ammo and price.
SK pistol match did well out of my bolt guns and was very consistent over the crony.
10x does ok in my 10/22 but not well enough to keep dumping .20+ cent per shot. I have been slowly selling off some stuff and maybe I can stock pile enough to get a voodoo or anschutz ?

Try some Eley Edge from CMP. Remind me next time we are both at OCSA and I can sell/trade a box at cost if you want to try a little before diving in.

Kept forgetting and forgetting to post. This might be too late, but I'll finally post anyway.
I did lose my FAL target (to cat vomit, sadly).

The story on these was I had to shoot offhand because it was insanely muddy during the day I went to the range and while I contemplated going prone in the mud and snow, but I didn't want to deal with getting my jacket coated in mud.

These two were out of my M16A1 clone:

88-0X:
m16-2.jpg

And 89-0X.
m16-1.jpg

I'm 99% sure that's a magazine I won from @mac1911.

m16-3.jpg

Given these were off-hand in the mud with no spotting scopes, I'm satisfied with them.

I also shot another M1 target a week or two later but it was my first time loading 30-06 with H335 and I don't think it's the best for me.
It could also have been me, the target was blending into the berm that day.

This was from my service grade. A tad lower and it might've been better.
Something a spotting scope might've corrected.

m1target.jpg

Better late than never!

Kept forgetting and forgetting to post. This might be too late, but I'll finally post anyway.

The story on these was I had to shoot offhand because it was insanely muddy during the day I went to the range and while I contemplated going prone in the mud and snow, but I didn't want to deal with getting my jacket coated in mud.

88-0X:
View attachment 592759

And 89-0X.
View attachment 592758

View attachment 592760

Given these were off-hand in the mud with no spotting scopes, I'm satisfied with them.

I also shot another M1 target a week or two later but it was my first time loading 30-06 with H335 and I don't think it's the best for me.

View attachment 592763

Better late than never!
Good shooting for offhand.

If we still had neg rep, I'd give you some for tossing the cat barf target before taking a pic and posting in this thread. [rofl]

Jury says targets still count.

88-0X:
View attachment 592759

And 89-0X.
View attachment 592758

View attachment 592760

View attachment 592763

Better late than never!
cleanliness is next to Godliness You shall pass.

88-0X:
View attachment 592759

And 89-0X.
View attachment 592758

View attachment 592760

View attachment 592763

Better late than never!
Heck you could have won it all with a muddy puddle prone photo!

Heck you could have won it all with a muddy puddle prone photo!
100% true, though the prize winner is random drawing. [smile]

Probably getting close to closing this out for the season, though folks up north perhaps north of the Notch in NH or up in Maine could still have winter conditions. I'll probably have a lunch trip to the range this week and I think we have a pile of frozen 'snit' which qualifies for anyone still wanting to enter.

100% true, though the prize winner is random drawing. [smile]

Probably getting close to closing this out for the season, though folks up north perhaps north of the Notch in NH or up in Maine could still have winter conditions. I'll probably have a lunch trip to the range this week and I think we have a pile of frozen 'snit' which qualifies for anyone still wanting to enter.
Now hold on I have a handful of snow/ice I brought home from the club and put it in the freezer. …. You know for that day

Maybe, just maybe I have finally sorted out all the bugs in the renegade 1903A3:

yBXVXjtl.jpg

Group of 3 to the left are my first shots on paper. Not bad for mounting a new rear sight and only bore sighting in the basement before taking the first shots at 100 yards. Light sucked today and that lowest one of the three was my bad. Looking promising.

10 shots for score- the ones at 3:00 and 6:00 were definitely my bad, maybe the one at 9:00 was my bad too. 99-7X works for me. That's a double at 7:00 on the X-ring. Note the frozen snit in the background. It's still winter here.

Back
Top Bottom