Woburn Sportsman's Association - Positive Treatment of Military

I didn't know where to post this, so Mods, please move it to where it belongs.

I was at the WSA yesterday renewing my membership when a young gentleman walked into the office behind me and asked to re-instate his membership. When he was asked what he's been doing for the last year, he said he'd just gotten back from Iraq. I was pleased to see him re-instated with no BS and no penalties, and to see others thanking him for his service too.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's actually part of the bi-laws. You can suspend your membership for a couple of reasons, with no questions asked. One of those reasons is Military service! Nice to know though.

Mod Hat On!

I'm moving this to the Military Bubbas forum as more appropriate.

I'll also change the title slightly to be more descriptive. A reference to the moved thread should also be placed in the Gun Clubs forum.

I'll add my 2 cents to this thread in the next reply.

Now for my 2 cents!

Any club that does ANYTHING to help our our Military, stands hands and shoulders above the rest in my book.

Just be aware that oftentimes the club does NOT know why a member hasn't paid or shown up in quite a while. If ANY of us become aware of someone who has been activated, consider it YOUR DUTY to inform the club President and Treasurer in WRITING of such and REQUEST special dispensation from said club's rules while this soldier is serving!

This happened at a club that I was a member of, where I had read a newspaper article that a police Sgt that I knew was in the sandbox. I immediately made the club officers aware of the situation and they promised me that they would take care of him upon his return.

I would hope that ALL clubs would do this, but it will likely require someone "in the know" of the situation letting the officers know what's happening.

Westford Sportsmen's Club acknowledges the hardships that people go through, especially those that have been actived for Guard duty here and abroad.

One member had not been in a couple of years since he had been receiving cancer treatment. When he felt well enough to come out and play he asked about rejoining the club. His re-initiation fee was waived.

Westford's policy on military service has been in its by-laws for at least 20 years.

Members on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States whose assignments cause them to be absent may be retained on the membership rolls for the duration of their tour of duty. Upon their return, they shall be eligible for reinstatement of full membership status upon request and payment of current dues. All provisions of Article IV [i.e., application and a pro forma vote] will apply except that the initiation fee will be waived.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom