Worcester Pistol and Rifle Club

Is WPR still accepting applications for membership? Website says orientations are going to be done in March, not sure if the new member orientations are finished yet or if there’s a waitlist?

New Member orientations are next week, the email invitation to those on the wait list went out last week. After that we need to attend the next regular meeting where we are voted in (or not). They had about fifty on the wait list when I spoke to them back in October, I'm pretty sure applications were only being accepted until Nov but it can't hurt to reach out to them and ask-- the new website is much easier to navigate.

New Member orientations are next week, the email invitation to those on the wait list went out last week. After that we need to attend the next regular meeting where we are voted in (or not). They had about fifty on the wait list when I spoke to them back in October, I'm pretty sure applications were only being accepted until Nov but it can't hurt to reach out to them and ask-- the new website is much easier to navigate.

Ah okay thank you for the info! I’ll send them an email - I mailed out an application last week (I know way late), but maybe they’ll have another waitlist since I mailed my application in so late

Orientation was Tuesday night (there is another one on Saturday morning) and the meeting room was packed- I'd say about 70 people. They went through the club rules and bylaws and kept it fast paced and entertaining while still informative. This is going to be a nice place to belong to. Tom, Lee and Jon were there and were very helpful and patient with everyone. Next step for new members is to be voted in at the following regular meeting in April.

Orientation was Tuesday night (there is another one on Saturday morning) and the meeting room was packed- I'd say about 70 people. They went through the club rules and bylaws and kept it fast paced and entertaining while still informative. This is going to be a nice place to belong to. Tom, Lee and Jon were there and were very helpful and patient with everyone. Next step for new members is to be voted in at the following regular meeting in April.

I was there too. Looks like an excellent crew and club — very grateful they had openings for us. Mass Firearm School has been a great range but just too far for me to make it regularly.

I was there too. Looks like an excellent crew and club — very grateful they had openings for us. Mass Firearm School has been a great range but just too far for me to make it regularly.
I was there as well. Sounds like they have made some nice updates and additions to the club. Feels like your money is well spent. Plus it’s nice being able to work off some of the membership fee. Most work parties that I have been to with like minded pro 2a people have been a lot of fun.

I am looking forward to a 24/7 pistol range being so close. It’s sometimes hard to make time during the week, but on the weekends after the family has gone to bed I can easily make the short drive and get some range time in.

I'm currently at Mass Firearms too-- and while it's a great range and a pretty good store that ride just kills me. Be nice to be so close to home and the 24/7 thing is a winner. Hope to meet you both face to face.

The April meeting should be pretty crowded, I'll be the guy in the leather coat with my two grown sons, but maybe we can say hello.

Looks like a few of us were there Tuesday night. Seemed like half of us were from Worcester. I agree the 24/7 access is nice. I have a friend and co worker who belongs. Our schedule is such that we have a lot of weekdays off. The few times I've gone with him we had the place to ourselves.

Like many of you, I go to Mass Firearms as well. This would be much closer and it will be nice to be outside too, plus all the other benefits of the club.

Got voted in last night along with another 135 or so members who were in attendance. The whole process was done very well, and things moved as quickly as it can for voting in that many members. The way it works is that those being voted in wait downstairs in the range, while upstairs there is a meeting in which all prospective members names are read, if anyone has an objection said potential member is called up from the ranks and questioned face to face. They made it very clear that one single vote down from any member is enough to reject you, so you don't want to steal someone's parking spot or otherwise tick of an existing member. As the names progressed one nominee was called upstairs, the rest of us looking at one another. It turned out one of his friends was upstairs as a member and when his name was announced asked if he still beats his dog. This was enough to get him questioned and moments were tense until they figured out the friend was joking.

After the names are read and there are no objections they treat the range area like a bank teller station with two membership officers collecting the fees and handing out the membership cards and the fobs to open the gate and the door for 24 hour access. The line moved extremely quickly considering how many new members there were and the crowd was very upbeat and friendly.

I plan on being an active member of the club, not only using the indoor and outdoor ranges, but attending many of the monthly meetings and doing what I can to assist.
I feel good about it-- this is a great bunch of people.

Got voted in last night along with another 135 or so members who were in attendance. The whole process was done very well, and things moved as quickly as it can for voting in that many members. The way it works is that those being voted in wait downstairs in the range, while upstairs there is a meeting in which all prospective members names are read, if anyone has an objection said potential member is called up from the ranks and questioned face to face. They made it very clear that one single vote down from any member is enough to reject you, so you don't want to steal someone's parking spot or otherwise tick of an existing member. As the names progressed one nominee was called upstairs, the rest of us looking at one another. It turned out one of his friends was upstairs as a member and when his name was announced asked if he still beats his dog. This was enough to get him questioned and moments were tense until they figured out the friend was joking.

After the names are read and there are no objections they treat the range area like a bank teller station with two membership officers collecting the fees and handing out the membership cards and the fobs to open the gate and the door for 24 hour access. The line moved extremely quickly considering how many new members there were and the crowd was very upbeat and friendly.

I plan on being an active member of the club, not only using the indoor and outdoor ranges, but attending many of the monthly meetings and doing what I can to assist.
I feel good about it-- this is a great bunch of people.

Nice write up OP, and welcome all new members. As most noted, during the new member process, the club is quite packed and parking was at a premium. We try and pack as many as possible while still maintaining a decent level of safety for so many people. New members starting showing up around 16:00 while we still were cleaning up the indoor range where most people patiently waited. The club is quite aware that so many people were waiting and the President started the meeting promptly to get the new members voted in as quickly as possible, along with one "sacrificial" new member who does get hauled upstairs for a little bit of hard time. It only took a minute, but if you could have seen his face when he was brought upstairs, it was priceless.

New members can check out all the different events that are held at the club. Spring / Summer is a great time to attend the monthly IDPA practice and sanctioned matches along with the monthly Bowling Pin shoots. All are very well run and are a safe fun way to compete. The indoor Pistol Team is mostly a late fall winter time indoor competition. Check the website calendar for more accurate dates / times.

As you've noticed, the club is safe place to shoot. That's what it's all about. We don't have a bar, outdoor grills, have weddings or other functions. We don't even have any vending machines. We shoot guns and are safe place to do it.

Come to a monthly meeting or two and you'll get all the info about the status of the club. They are held the first Thursday of the month, except July and August when no monthly meetings take place.

Enjoy your club

Jay

View of the standard five lane 50 foot indoor range. New members and 98 of their new closest friends.

0GbnYMB.jpg

I got voted in as well on Thursday. Like keysersoze said it was well organized and moved very quickly once the voting was over considering the large number of new members. I joined the yearly raffle as well. Way I look at it is if I lose I donated to a great cause that I will still benefit from and if I win I get a rifle I have always wanted to add to the collection.(M1 Carbine).

Much like keysersoze I plan on being an active member when time/family permits. This place is literally running distance from my house so if I am available I’ll be at the meetings, work parties, etc. Hell, I might actually run there and kill two birds with one stone, lose the dad bod and hit the range. Pistol obviously with a backpack, rifle might be awkward and not a great idea.

Almost a month in as a member (boy it seems longer) and we've gone probably 15x at various times. Mostly used the indoor range but we did use the outdoor pistol range. Highest recommendations for a club. We also attended the IDPA match at the beginning of the month to see how that played out and it looks like a lot of fun. They have an intro session on Tuesday for it and a practice session the following Sunday. We'll be attending our first full meeting as members next week too.

Over the course of the 15 visits I've encountered a ton of members, and to a person everyone has been great. Very happy with joining. This is a great range.

Question for members:
New member here - I heard the club allows clay throwing - caveman trap shooting.
:)

On which range is this allowed?

My LTC licensed friends - dude and his wife - used to blast clays when they were first dating. I have few boxes of clays and a bunch of #7 shot that needs to go boom.

Thanks for any insight/guidance on using a range for this purpose.

-d

Question for members:
New member here - I heard the club allows clay throwing - caveman trap shooting.

My LTC licensed friends - dude and his wife - used to blast clays when they were first dating. I have few boxes of clays and a bunch of #7 shot that needs to go boom.

-d

Yes...as stated above, the ‘Pit’ area to the left of the rifle range is where I have seen folks with all types of throwers. There’s nothing in range of #7 shot to either side of the range, but keep an ear out for atv’s and dirt bikes because they love that section of woods for some reason. Last thing we need is a lawsuit from a trespasser that got peppered.

Great!

I've got a good ear for 'woods mobiles' as I used to ride myself. We'll have electronic muffs too so, no issue there.
Cool that there's still a place for 'em to ride!

Thanks to you both!

Question for members:

-d

I have also thrown clays on the rifle range (better than pit), if nobody else is using it.

Good to know - thank you!!
I'll also yield, and haul my ass over to the pit, if someone shows up wanting to rifle things.

-info appreciated guys!

October monthly business meeting summary. There are plans in the works to redo the 100 yard range berm with a clean out of the berm before hand. Hopefully will be accomplished before the snow flies. There is also plans in the work for indoor range work.
Membership renewal forms should be going out after the first of the year. More updates as the dates get closer. There are approximately 25 people on the wait list as we are at member capacity. If you know of someone looking to join our club, have them put in an application. It doesn't cost anything to apply and gets you in line. We usually have new membership orientation around April. Sounds far off, but time goes quickly. Mark you calender's and if you don't receive your renewal form by mid January, contact the membership chairman at the address on the club website.

With more members, there are more sporadic range outages for maintenance and clean up outside the normal monthly work party. For the most part, it hasn't effected anyone, but just something to be aware of.

There isn't any IDPA practice or event this month as it conflicts with a regional event. There are two more Pin Shoots before its shutdown for the year. Always fun and competitive. Check the website calendar, I believe Oct.27 and November 24th, but double check me on that. The pistol team is every Monday using the indoor range. Again, please check the calendar.

The club is also looking for ideas for the big yearly raffle.

One big issue that keeps coming up is member "Brass removal". We have many containers on all ranges labeled for Brass. There are many brooms and other tools to make it easier to pick up your brass. Please do the old camping adage of "Leave No Trace" = The goal is for the Shooter and their guests to have as little impact as possible on the range that he,she, they are using. Please pick up your brass as SAFELY as possible along with throwing out your used targets and other disposables which in turn makes it more enjoyable for the next shooter.

It's your club, it is NOT a private business with private cleanup crews. Your attention and respect are much appreciated.

If you would like something brought up or have a suggestion or concern, by all means feel free to attend the monthly business meetings on the first Thursday of the month. Everyone has a voice in what goes on.

Hope it helps,

Jay

The brass situation is completely ridiculous. Every time I go shooting at one of the out door ranges, I end up picking up my brass and probably another hundred from someone else. It seems like it's getting worse. On a couple occasions I've seen people shooting on another range, pack up and leave, and leave all their brass right there on the ground for someone else to pick up. Must be liberals!!

Our great friend, Jon Greene, from GOAL is presenting MA Gun Law for Citizens on Wednesday November 20th at 6:00 PM in the WPRC upstairs meeting room. This is a free class that is very well presented, very timely, all updated information, plus Jon is one entertaining individual. [laugh]

Please contact Jon to "enroll", so he can bring enough material. GOAL Phone Numbers - GOAL.ORG

Again, there is no charge for WPRC members.

See you there,

Jay

Found a tool (no, not that kind of tool :eek: ) and another heavy item in the middle "action pit" range. If you are missing or forgot something from Tuesday, please PM me to identify and we can make arrangements for you to get them.

Jay

Shameful bump for GOAL's Jon Greene free seminar to be held at the club Nov. 20th at 6 PM. A very worthwhile seminar.

Please contact Jon to "enroll", so he can bring enough material. GOAL Phone Numbers - GOAL.ORG

Our great friend, Jon Greene, from GOAL is presenting MA Gun Law for Citizens on Wednesday November 20th at 6:00 PM in the WPRC upstairs meeting room. This is a free class that is very well presented, very timely, all updated information, plus Jon is one entertaining individual. [laugh]

Again, there is no charge for WPRC members.

See you there,

Jay

Shameless bump for GOAL's Jon Greene Free seminar. It's very informative and entertaining. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you will be a better shot, well no, not really, but it is great useful information.

Please contact Jon to let him know so he can bring enough handout material.

Yes, do this. Well worth your time and did I mention that as a WPRC member, your cost is ... zero.

Jay

Back
Top Bottom