Working on reloading

richc

NES Member
So as many fine members of the forum before me, I've heading down the reloading path.

This weekend in between all other obligations I started getting things together. The Dillon 550B is unpacked and mostly assembled. As I'm prone to do I had to do some steps multiple times before nailing it. But each mistake brought about more learning.

I have most parts assembled now. I've put in 9mm cases, deprimed them, belled them, added a bullet and seated to the proper length and then crimped. The results fit properly in the sizing gauge and measure out properly with the caliper.

I really enjoyed all this. I enjoyed reading and learning. I enjoyed the challenges of getting OAL's correct and a good bell and crimp. I enjoyed seeing an almost finished product. I can see how this could become addicting.

Next is adding primers and powder. I'll let y'all know how it goes!

Cheers,

Rich

Rich,
What’s your plan for measuring powder and checking powder levels? How are you determining what loads you are going to try? Remember if you load a lot of ammunition before testing it you will have a lot of ammunition to disassemble if something is wrong.

Good Luck,
jkelly

Reloading is great. You can now shoot almost any caliber and not worry about the price.

Over the last couple of evenings, I've loaded up 1600 .45 ACP rounds. It was a new load for me (I can't find the stuff I usually use). I made up 50 yesterday morning, my son and I went out and shot/chrono'ed them, and last night and today were production days.

Remember if you load a lot of ammunition before testing it you will have a lot of ammunition to disassemble if something is wrong.

+1 to that! I make small batches first- start at 10 or so, then build up from there. Also- for 9mm... you really only want a slight taper crimp... unless you are using a revolver... and don't do a bell crimp on plated bullets!

If you have any questions re: reloading, I do 44 various calibers including shotgun sabots and would be happy to help anyone with questions. If you want to visit, I am just north of Rt.495 exit 31. P.M. Me.There is no charge for this. Just happy to help fellow shooters/reloaders.
Eric

Back
Top Bottom