Workplace shooting in Manchester, Connecticut

Yup. I know many many workplaces where a multiple shooting would instead be multiple holes in the BG.

If this were true everywhere these crimes would stop pretty quick.

I personally think that if any person shot and killed in a no gun zone is a permit holder, their family should be able to sue the company for recklessly endangering that person by not allowing them to defend themselves.

Just wrote my State Rep/Senator asking them to sponsor a bill next year allowing employees with CT Permits to be able to keep a gun there car while at work...assuming they get re-elected..I will talk to them in person next year before the session starts..

Who would know if you had it in your car or not? And would you be able to get to it anyway. I think if you have a permit to carry you should be able to carry, I mean for god's sake how many agencies have to check you out before you are "OK" .

People should just carry....I know I make it sound simplistic, I know that companies have no gun policies, I know folks are afraid of pissing off the man, but if done properly, CCW means no one knows you have the goddamned gun in the first place...

It's not that simple for some. Random vehicle searches. Random person searches. Automatic termination if discovered. Some have to weight the risk of carrying vs maintaining our livelyhood.

It's not that simple for some. Random vehicle searches. Random person searches. Automatic termination if discovered. Some have to weight the risk of carrying vs maintaining our livelyhood.

If it were my job doing that, it wouldn't be my job for much longer. You work for the NSA or something? That's a pretty ridiculous corporate policy...

I personally think that if any person shot and killed in a no gun zone is a permit holder, their family should be able to sue the company for recklessly endangering that person by not allowing them to defend themselves.

In essence, they should be held responsible because they decided that you didn't need to protect yourself.

I know my company has a no weapons policy so I simply pocket carry. For now it may only be a .22 but I am licensed by the state so I carry. Not just for myself but for everyone else I work with. No one is going to ensure my safety but me.

time to start stashing interesting items (but not quite interesting enough to lose your job) on your person or in your vehicle. if they want to search you i think your only option is going to be to make it worth their time and to entertain yourself.

A company taking your guns(prohibiting them) at the parking lot entrance is as bad as government banning their possesion in your home. Neither of which would I ever comply with.

In the private sector? Random pat downs at work? Is this a Guatemalan jade mine we're talking about? No offense, but if I came to a point in my life where my livelihood depended on being felt up by my boss, (unless she was hot), I'd be seriously considering just how much I've sold my freedom and liberty for. Corporate "anti-gun" policies are either politically motivated, liability attorney motivated, or a combination of both. They should have zero bearing on whether a person chooses to carry a concealed weapon. If they are discovered, they are not doing it right....

conceal |kənˈsēl|
verb [ trans. ]
keep from sight; hide : a line of sand dunes concealed the distant sea | [as adj. ] ( concealed) he pressed a concealed button.
• keep (something) secret; prevent from being known or noticed : love that they had to conceal from others.
DERIVATIVES
concealable adjective
concealment noun
ORIGIN Middle English : from Old French conceler, from Latin concelare, from con- ‘completely’ + celare ‘hide.’

Thesaurus
concealed
adjective
another piece of concealed evidence was disclosed to Sgt. Kahn hidden, not visible, out of sight, invisible, covered, disguised, camouflaged, obscured; private, secret.

Updated 10:51 AM EDT, Tue, Aug 3, 2010

Print Share Buzz up!
28retweet
0diggsdigg

An employee scheduled to have a disciplinary hearing at a Manchester beer distributor shot at least six coworkers, killing at least two of them, before he was killed, sources said.

The shooter has been identified as Omar Thomas. Police said they did not shoot the suspect, but would not confirm if he shot himself.

The shooting happened around 7:30 a.m. at Hartford Distributors, a beer and ale distributor at 131 Chapel Road, in Manchester, near the Buckland Hills Mall, South Windsor police said.

The shooter was accused of stealing, and had a disciplinary hearing scheduled for Tuesday, sources told NBC Connecticut. He was a warehouse worker who had been called in to resign, the Associated Press reported.

As many as 70 people might have been inside the warehouse at the time of the shooting because of a shift change and Hartford Distributors executive Brett Hollander said a fire broke out at the warehouse. The fire was extinguished, and company officials are "just trying to figure out who's shot, who's not accounted for," Hollander said.

Hollander, whose family owns the distributor, told the Associated Press that his cousin, a vice president at the company, was shot in the arm and face, but was expected to survive.

Hollander said he does not know the shooter well, and did not know how long he worked for the company.

"We're heartsick over this," said John Hollis, a union representative.

Three victims were taken to Hartford Hospital. One person is in fair condition, one is in critical condition and one was resuscitated and later died, hospital officials said. Police said they will be providing crisis assistance to families affected by the shooting. Families of those affected can call 645-5521, 645-5002 for information.

Hartford Distributors has 100 to 249 employees, according to Manta.com.

This is courtesy of NBC30.com

Update, there are 3 confirmed dead, the shooters death cause is unknown, either suicide or someone in the warehouse had a gun on them and took care of business.

Last edited:
An employee scheduled to have a disciplinary hearing at a Manchester beer distributor shot at least six coworkers, killing at least two of them, before he was killed, sources said.

The shooter has been identified as Omar Thomas. Police said they did not shoot the suspect, but would not confirm if he shot himself.

My only hope is that police confirm that someone in the plant shot his ass...

People should just carry....I know I make it sound simplistic, I know that companies have no gun policies, I know folks are afraid of pissing off the man, but if done properly, CCW means no one knows you have the goddamned gun in the first place...

+1 THIS

Just wrote my State Rep/Senator asking them to sponsor a bill next year allowing employees with CT Permits to be able to keep a gun there car while at work...assuming they get re-elected..I will talk to them in person next year before the session starts..

you cant store a gun in our car while at work? wtf?

Back
Top Bottom